Sign in to follow this  
WH854

New wheel Hub Bolts

WH854

Well I got tired of fighting putting wheels on the tractors. So I coped some one else's idea. Here is what they look like, a picture of the hubs,both sides.

Sep2901.jpg

I got the 71/6 -20-thread-1 1/2 from McMaster-Carr. The 7 1/6 20 thread nuts from

Brandsport.com. (Acorn/ Tapered Seat,Open End)

Chas :)

• Like 1

massey

Great idea, thanks for providing the sources.

stevasaurus

Makes things a lot easier doesn't it... :)

WH854

You Betcha Steve :)

Chas

HankB

Looks like a good idea. Did you use some threadlock to hold the studs to the hub?

Did you consider getting chromed acorn nuts? :) (Waste of money if you have hubcaps though.)

-hank

SALTYWRIGHT

I PUT THE BOLTS ON ALL MY TRACTORS SO IT IS EASY TO PUT THE WHEELS ON. I ALSO PUT ON CHROME LUG NUTS. IT HAS WORKED OUT VERY GOOD FOR ME. :)

Save Old Iron

Chas, you class up the act once again :) :USA:

Duff

Chas, are the studs stainless, Grade 8, or regular zinc-coated steel? :)

Duff :USA:

SALTYWRIGHT

I USED GRADE 8 BOLTS FOR MINE WITH LOCKTITE. :)

WH854

The bolts are called Cap Screws,the are threaded all the way I got grade 5.

They come in 25 to a pack $7.82 a pack I bought 2 packs.

The nuts are Acorn Lug Nuts Tapered Seat Open end Chromed 0.46 a piece if you buy more than 15 they were cheaper.(20) I wanted to do this because it is easier to change a wheel with them like this :wh:

Chas :USA:

PS Iused a flat washer on the back side,because they would not tighten up against the back of hub. :)

WH854

Afternoon Fellers :) I installed the hubs on the C-165 Auto today, here are the pictures.

With the bolts on the hubs.

Oct0101.jpg

With the wheel and nuts on. They are a lot easery to put wheels on :USA:

Oct0106.jpg

But you cain't see them anyway after I put the covers back on :)

Oct0102.jpg

Enjoy The Pictures!!

Chas :wh:

persof

What kind of bolts would be strong enough to allow me to increase the wheel spacing? Or is that not possable?

Thanks

Francis

YNOT

Great Idea :)

Oh bye the way is that a :USA: Wheel Horse filter ?

Tony

WH854

Francis I don't know about the wheel Spacing :)

Tony that is not a WH filter! It was on the tractor when i got it last fall. I have a Toro Filter for it, I think the filter on it now is peenzoil. :wh:

Chas :USA:

Duff

BUMP!

I just brought this back up because I finally got around to making the conversion on one of my own tractors. It was the BEST move I've made since owning a :) , and I'm frankly surprised the factory didn't do it a long time ago! Changing wheels is so much easier than trying to line up the holes in the wheels with the ones in the hub and then to start the lug bolts.

Since this is the time of year when a lot of us start doing our "winter projects" in our shops and sheds, I thought I'd put the thought back in our minds. I'll grant you it's not "correct" for a restoration, but for a rebuild it'll be the best few dollars you ever spent!

Duff :thumbs:

HankB

... Changing wheels is so much easier than trying to line up the holes in the wheels with the ones in the hub and then to start the lug bolts.

I bet it was! I just put my liquid filled ags on yesterday and it was a handful. I wound up "fine tuning" the height with the jack so the hub lined up with the wheel (sitting on the ground) and then reaching behind the wheel to rotate the hub until he bolt holes lined up.

I also put snows on my truck. The truck tires were much larger though probably weighed a bit less. It was pretty easy to slip the truck wheel over the studs.

stevasaurus

Good call Duff. :thumbs: I was looking for something else to do this winter......seriously....thanks :) :wh:

WH854

I don't mind if its a Johnny Cash Tractor :thumbs:

Chas

btrrg1969

Well I got tired of fighting putting wheels on the tractors. So I coped some one else's idea. Here is what they look like, a picture of the hubs,both sides.

Sep2901.jpg

I got the 71/6 -20-thread-1 1/2 from McMaster-Carr. The 7 1/6 20 thread nuts from

Chas :)

I am glad you posted that , I was wanting to do the same however I was trying to find wheel studs and struck out , the bolts will work just the same so with that being said I'm off to the parts store :thumbs:

Duff

Sep2901.jpg

Chas :wh:

I am glad you posted that , I was wanting to do the same however I was trying to find wheel studs and struck out , the bolts will work just the same so with that being said I'm off to the parts store :thumbs:

Brandon, if your auto parts store doesn't carry the right lug nuts, Brandsport had mine to me in about three days and they were, as I recall, a whopping 42 cents apiece. Not too bad! :)

Duff :)

Kelly

Any good auto parts store will have the 7/16" lug nuts they used them on many GM cars from the 60's till they went metric in the 90's

bmuone

:ychain: Chas...very timely for me!

btrrg1969

Sep2901.jpg

I got the 71/6 -20-thread-1 1/2 from McMaster-Carr. The

bmuone

Oh yeah....Tks Duff for bumping it back up. :ychain:

Duff

Hi, guys,

It's been a couple of years since this thread was looked at, and with winter projects coming on I thought some of our newer members might want to have a look at it!

Happy Holidays!

Duff :thumbs: