Sign in to follow this  
BigRedD180

D180 K482 Twin No Spark!?

BigRedD180

Well, I wanted to put a PTO clutch to my D180 so I took the Intake off with the Coil still attached and set it off to the side. Long story short, she had been giving me fits during this LOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNGGGGG process and I got it all back together and NO SPARK!!! :)

I have tested to make sure that I have power at the lugs when the key switch is in the start and on position. I checked the resistance between the lugs and got about 5 ohms, which sounds about right for a coil, however the secondary (plug wire sockets) seem to be open, I measured for continuity between the 2 sockets and from lug to socket. Is this normal?

I don't understand what I am doing wrong, I have the power and the condenser on one lug and the points wire on the opposite. I know that I did not drop it or anything like that because I left the carb and coil in the intake when I took it off the block. Any advise would be appreciated.

Mike (Frustrated in MI)

Save Old Iron

Dear Frustrated in MI,

you should have measured a (-) to spark wire (secondary) resistance of around 10,000 ohms.

You have your primary circuit intact with the lower resistance reading across the (-) to (+) terminals but appear to have an open secondary winding in the coil.

Make sure the coil terminals are clean - including the socket the spark plug wire plugs into. Make your measurement once again.

Still no secondary 10,000 ohm resistance?

then probably a bad coil.

TT

I have the power and the condenser on one lug and the points wire on the opposite.

Ignition power wire goes on the "+" terminal on the coil by itself.

The condenser lead and the points lead both go on the negative terminal of the coil.

Not sure if that will kill your spark completely, but it certainly won't help it.

BigRedD180

Is the coil polarity sensitive? I wouldn't think so being a coil and it is not clearly marked. I measured the resistance of the secondary coil again (found that the terminals were pretty corroded) and got 18.5kOhms a little more than the 10k but it should work, correct? I am measuring it between cyl 1 and 2 terminals. I pulled the point cover off and when I flick it (as if the engine was running), there is a little spark on the point but still no spark at the plug. Tested wire for continuity and they are good.

Any ideas for the next step?

Thanks

BigRedD180

I got it!!! :USA: I found that when I tried turning it over and looking at the points that there was some sparking going on around the flywheel so I looked at the coil and found that the 2 plates for mounting were missing and looks like it was grounding out by the mounting bolts and the flywheel was path of least resistance. I got spark now at the plugs but can't try to start it any more because the young'ins are sleepin and the wife came out and gave me the "look".

Have to wait to hear run tomorrow, curious how it will sound because the exhaust was straight pipe before and loud as a freight train. My brother had some old Yamaha Banshee mufflers that we modified and welded to the pipes. It turned out pretty nice can't wait to see what sounds like :), hopefully it don't sound like an import POS.

Thanks for all your help.

wh79d160

Glad you figured it out. :) The mufflers sound cool. :USA: