Sign in to follow this  
mattd860

Please Identify this WH - RJ or Suburban or???

mattd860

I'm in the market for an RJ or Suburban. I found an ad in craigslist for what seems to be an RJ or Suburban - 3n23md3la5V45Z25R6a9h0ae9fe386d4c187d.jpg

I went this weekend to look at but couldn't find any markings on it. The engine ran and the tranny worked but the tractor was also very beat, had a home made plow WELDED to the frame, was missing the engine recoil starter and the belt guard. And worse of all, the seller wants $300-$400 which is just too much $$$ in my opinion especially since this 551 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT sold for the same price and is far more complete. So I ended up walking away empty handed, hoping that I made the right decision. Did I?

Anyways - based on the picture - what model did I look at?

CasualObserver

Looks like an RJ-58/59 to me. As for walking away... it's up to you. Market price is determined by how bad you want it, how many are available in your area, how many other people in your area are willing to spend to get it and what condition it's in. Some guys here would love to find that machine in that condition for that price, while others would hastily balk at it and run far and fast.

Oh... and I changed the CL link to the picture, so if you change your mind, no one snipes it from you. :)

whfan74

I agree with Jason..........looks to be an RJ 58/59 to me as well.

Personally.......too much for me but again I live in a Wheel Horse rich area.

Good luck on your hunt! :)

C-Series14

Front axle style is the secret....straight steel, 1959 and older...cast, 1960 or newer...

mattd860

I can't remember if it the axle was straight or not, but I'm 99% sure it was straight. It had the single tie rod going form the steering shaft to the left wheel and then another tie rod connecting both front wheels. I believe the non-straight axles have two tie rods right??

I would have taken the machine for $200, but not higher. The chances of the missing parts becoming available on ebay are slim to non unless I bought another parts RJ. I would rather spend the money on a more complete RJ or suburban.

Kelly

That one that sold on ebay ws a member here and I've seen it it was well worth the asking price.

the one you looked at, maybe was the hood good?? those are very hard to find nice ones, engine ran good, ect.......

VinsRJ

I noticed your location as Eastern CT. I agree with you that the price is a little high for a rusty RJ (I agree its either a RJ58 or 59) but in the CT area there are about 12-15 guys gunning for these machines. Me included :) So keep this in mind when loooking for a RJ in the CT area. If you find one you have to move fast and be willing to plunk down the cash.

IMO $250 is the high for that unit in the pic..... although the hood looks rusty, it also looks pretty straight with the tank straps intact.

WH_4741

the seller wants $300-$400

I saw that same ad a couple weeks ago. Was thinking of grabbing it for parts. Now I know why I didn't get a reply with my offer. :)

mattd860

Is that engine even supposed to have a recoil pull start?

I suppose someone somewhere will pay the $300 he's asking but I would rather wait for another one to come up for sale like the one in the ebay ad I posted above. I'd be willing to drive out to Montana to pick one up like that one for that deal :)

VinsRJ

Is that engine even supposed to have a recoil pull start?

99.9% of all RJs had recoils.

Kelly

from looking at the picture again is that a Tucky in there??? and if the price is to high offer less don't press the issue just make a offer on paper for what your will to pay, add your name and number to the paper, I got a nice tractor for half what they were asking almost two months later that way.

CasualObserver

just make a offer on paper for what your will to pay, add your name and number to the paper, I got a nice tractor for half what they were asking almost two months later that way.

I've bought things this way too. Sometimes it's just a matter of they want to talk it over with someone else. An offer in hand with a phone number is sometimes very persuasive to the "someone else."

mattd860

Quick Question - did the 1960 Suburban 400 model ever come with electric start?

CasualObserver

Nope, that was the 550.

linen beige

Quick Question - did the 1960 Suburban 400 model ever come with electric start?

YES! :)

But it was a 110volt starter that used house current, not the starter/generator we're so used to seeing.

CasualObserver

That would have been a dealer add-on, not a factory option. Same optional kit from the RJs.