clarnp49

42" Deck Problem with Reassembly

clarnp49

Does anyone have any pictures of what the deck should look like when it goes back together on a 42" deck 05-41MS01 - 1980 on a C-120.

I have the deck with a idler pulley and bar with 2 holes and the "plastic" or nylon special washers/spacers. I need to see how the spring is attached to the center pulley, if it's attached to the center pulley.

Thanks for the help, great forum so far!

C-Series14

Have you tried going to the Toro site and looking under "customer care" and go into "lookup parts"? It will have a breakdown of your deck showing where the spring goes. Your VIN number to use is 05-42ms01, Probably easier for you to see than for me to explain...Let us know if that helps.

Sparky

Welcome to Redsquare :thumbs: !

Now about your deck. I think your deck is actually 05-42MS01.

Go here and enter that # and it will give you all the drawings for your deck-

https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro

Mike................

clarnp49

What's funny about that drawing on the Toro site is it's the same drawing on every site no matter what deck it is.

I will have to take a picture for better explaination, the problem I am having is my spring that I took off has a "twist" in it. The bar for idler has a permenant bolt for the pulley and a riser for the spring. Will see if I can get a picture of it for everyone and it might help out a bit.

TT

The spring hooks to the "bent up" end of the tensioner "bar" and to a long bolt sticking up through the one nylon bushing. There should be a second nylok nut on the top of the bolt to hold the spring.

clarnp49

I think I know what your talking about but look at the pictures I have attached of my deck. It may be found that the model number I am looking at is not the right one.

Thanks for the help, you guys are all up late! :thumbs:

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-9-1208225836.jpg

clarnp49

Second picture showing close up of tensioner and pulley.

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-9-1208226110.jpg

TT

Here -- maybe this will help:

springdeck.jpg

kpinnc

*Edit* Terry beat me to it! Man he's fast!

My deck is a little bit newer model I think, but just for clarification, this is what setup I think Terry is talking about.

The newer idler setup uses a long bolt that comes through a nylon bushing in a slot on the "bar". This pic is from standing behind the deck, as opposed to in front of yours:

muledrive112.jpg

Here's a closer pic of the nylock bolt that holds the spring in place. Forgive the custom silencer (hose pipe/zip tie combo) and krud...

muledrive111.jpg

Your deck appears to have an older setup, without the slots. I've got an older one outside in the barn, but I'm not certain it is just like yours or not. Unless someone beats me to it, or the one in the barn is the same, I'll get you some pics tomorrow.

Kevin

clarnp49

WA LA!!! That is the parts break down I need, what deck is that of?

Also kind of off the topic a hair... What is the part number, where do I get one and how much will it cost for #2 in that drawing?

My deck never came with the sheet metal or covers.

Thanks for help. That answers my question. :thumbs:

clarnp49

Kevin,

Just for curiousity, is your rubber bushings upside down? Arn't they supposed to be for when the deck comes up they don't smash the paint on the underside of the mower frame? Just curious, not a problem if it works. :thumbs:

kpinnc

Just for curiousity, is your rubber bushings upside down?

Heck if I know- but could be. That's where they were when I got the deck...

The part number 2 you are asking about isn't the cover. It's the stiffener plate for the decks that didn't have the stamped section in the middle. Your deck has the stamped section.

There are covers out there for your deck, and the "one piece" versions are common. I've found they do little more than provide a hiding place for clumps of clippings. Just my opinion...

Kevin

clarnp49

I was just busting about the rubber bushings.

Thanks for the help with the deck. If that's all that sheet metal was used for then I will continue to put it all back together so I can mow my yard!!!! Wait till my neighbor sees this setup.

He was already drooling over the plow attachment this winter. Can't wait till he sees the refinished deck.

kpinnc

If that's all that sheet metal was used for then I will continue to put it all back together so I can mow my yard!!!!

I can't say for sure on the C-120, because I haven't got one. On my Bronco and Charger (which are both very similar to a "C"), I don't have the deck on right now.

My 310-8, which is what I mow with, has pretty wide foot rests. The outside pulleys barely protrude out from under the rests, so the guard has very little benefit in my setup. Whether it works better for a C-120 or not, is up to you.

Here's what the "two-piece" covers look like, which would be less likely to clog up with clippings. This is not the correct 42SD deck drawing, but the covers are the same as what will fit your deck. They are parts 3 and 37, part #s 109297, and 109296 respectively:

deck.jpg

Good luck!

Kevin

Kribbie
On 4/14/2008 at 10:45 PM, kpinnc said:

*Edit* Terry beat me to it! Man he's fast!

My deck is a little bit newer model I think, but just for clarification, this is what setup I think Terry is talking about.

The newer idler setup uses a long bolt that comes through a nylon bushing in a slot on the "bar". This pic is from standing behind the deck, as opposed to in front of yours:

muledrive112.jpg

Here's a closer pic of the nylock bolt that holds the spring in place. Forgive the custom silencer (hose pipe/zip tie combo) and krud...

muledrive111.jpg

Your deck appears to have an older setup, without the slots. I've got an older one outside in the barn, but I'm not certain it is just like yours or not. Unless someone beats me to it, or the one in the barn is the same, I'll get you some pics tomorrow.

Kevin

could you tell me what is the length of the deck belt that drives the blades? I/2

inch by what

Edited by Kribbie

rbthefirst

My c120 came without a deck belt or should I say belts! Mine seems to be the same as the 05-42ms01. What size of belts do I need?

gwest_ca
28 minutes ago, rbthefirst said:

My c120 came without a deck belt or should I say belts! Mine seems to be the same as the 05-42ms01. What size of belts do I need?

Belt dimensions have been added to this page. Click on the picture

Garry