Sign in to follow this  
SeekingHim1st

Wheel Horse 417-8

SeekingHim1st

I inherited a Wheel Horse 417-8 with a Kohler 17 Motor. The identification Stickers with Serial and Model Numbers on them faded away a long time ago on both the tractor and motor. That's all the Information i Have, except the fact that the tractor was some kind of anniversary edition and it came with chrome Air Breather, Muffler, and Hub caps, with electric lift for the mower deck.

1) Where is the serial number stamped on the motor, how do figure out what motor I have?

2)Where is the serial number stamped on the tractor, how do i figure out what tractor I have?

3)where can I locate manuals for motor and tractor?

4)My main issue right now is, I disassembled the top of the motor and need to hook the governor back up. I cant remember how the governor, springs, and linkage was hooked up. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for time and effort, sincerely.........

Donnie Stoaks

nylyon

First, Welcome to RedSquare, glad you found us. Not sure where the number is on the engine, but the tractor model number should be located on the fender under the seat. Once you get the model number, you can check in the links sticky to find the link to manuals, and hopefully one will be available for download.

Again :thumbs:

Buzz

Your 417-8 is either a 1985 model # 31-17K801 or a 1986 model # 31-17K802.

I think the 1985 was an anniversary model but I'm probably wrong. It has a 17 horsepower Kohler engine model KT17QS. There should be a decal on the engine shroud. Here is a link to the manual for the engine. Should be info on hooking up your governor:

http://www.kohlerengines.com/common/resources/tp_2043_a.pdf

You can order a manual for your tractor for $2.00 once you figure out which one it is:

https://lookup3.toro.com/request/request.cfm

good luck.

DMESS

Your tractor is a 1986. 1985 417-8 did not have electric lift. None of the 417-8's were condsidered any kind of aniversary model to my knowledge unless you look at all of 1986 being the 40th anniversary. They just had some nice chrome!

Tractor ID will be on the fender pan right behind the gear shift lever. Black and white tag that doesn't weather well unfortunatley.

Buzz

I told you I was probably wrong. :thumbs: I had looked at the options and saw that the electric lift was standard on the 1986, an option on the 1985. Glad your here Dustin, I don't have anything newer than 1968.....