Sign in to follow this  
Buckled

K301 knock

Buckled

I just finished rebuilding a 1057 with a Kohler K301 (I'll post pictures ASAP) and today was the first day I used it beyond starting and letting it warm up. It seems to knock when under any kind of load. Putting it in gear and driving it on level ground is enough to make it knock. The engine was rebuilt this winter and bored .10 over. Has anyone had this experience and if so what did you do to remedy the situation? Some additional info:

I'm running it on 87 octane and haven't tried a higher octane yet.

I'm using a Champion 844 H10C spark plug...is ther a better (hotter) plug I could try?

Buckled

Sorry - The title should say K301. Can I edit the topic heading?

refracman

IT could be spark knock, if your points are set at .020 try setting them at .018 and see if this helps , if it does and and still does knock a little go to .016

good luck

• Like 1

Kelly

Just my 2 cents First a 1057 would of had a K241 10hp, the K301 is a 12hp, If you knew that sorry, You did order parts for the right motor? just asking. double checked the rod bolts to spec.? did you check the piston fit in the bore before installing rings? did they bore it to the piston? not just .010 over some pistons are not what they say they are, can be a few thou. off. For my race car motors I can use two sets of pistons to get a set that is all close to the same size(cheaper pistons) did you reuse the old rod? I hope something in this mess I just wrote works for you.

Buckled

I knew it was a K301 when ordering parts. I did not have it bored to match the individual piston. Did not check the piston to the bore... Everything's new inside the engine except the valves.

Sparky

Cant help you with the knockin but I edited your topic title.

Mike......

WheelHorse_of_course

Was the head cleaned? (EG carbon depostis)

I suppose there could be a timing issue (reassembled wrong).

Check your point gap.

Best of luck

TT

Did your K301 have balance gears? :thumbs:

If it did, did you take them out & throw them away? (you should have. :thumbs: )

T-Mo

Sorry to hear your rebuild has a knock. I just rebuilt a K321 in my C141 and it runs perfect. Follow the book, i.e. valve clearance, torque the rod cap bolts, etc. I left the balance gears out and it doesn't vibrate any more than the K301 does in my newly acquired C125.