Sign in to follow this  
ricky115

1966-876

Kelly

Figure out photo bucket pictures will tell us a lot, you could have the wrong pulley, again pictures worth a thousand words.

ricky115

DadsToys026.jpg

trying this photbucket thing...this my B-80 just completed with the snow blower hope this works....rick

ricky115

IMG_0008_1.jpg

this is my finished 18 automatic...rick

ricky115

DadsToys037.jpg

by jove ollie i think ive got it...heres the 876...now i can take a close up of the belt and will post it later this morning...rick

ricky115

DadsToys041.jpg

tension lever on

ricky115

DadsToys040.jpg

tension off

ricky115

DadsToys042.jpg

front pully

see how close the belts are with tension on?..thats what bothers me. when belt touches it seems to kick it off?? rick

WH nut

The belt looks a little long to me

ricky115

i thought that earlier on, it calls for a 72" and thats whats on it..i purchased a 71" and the tensioner will not lock down, and still spins the belt off :) rick

HankB

Focusing on one spot in your last picture:

DadsToys042-PP.jpg

I thought that front pulley looked small to me, but that is compared to more recent tractors. Then I noticed what looks like a belt guide. Ordinarily I see these mounted close enough to the pulley to make it necessary to squeeze the belt past them when putting the belt on. Yours has lots of clearance. I think what is happening is an undersize front pulley is allowing the belt to touch back by the tensioner and that results in excessive belt flop that is not held in check by the belt guard which is too far away to do any good.

I'd appreciate the thoughts on this idea from those more familiar with the older tractors.

-hank

refracman

It does appear that the engine drive pulley is to small. I believe its suppose to 4" dia.

The belt gaurd/guide has to be on for it to work correctly, or you have the situation you are presently experienceing

ricky115

now i think we are getting somewhere..i never measured the pulley, because i never knew how wide it was supposed to be..first thing in the am i will check it for the 4" measurement..it makes sense that the smaller pulley would cause the actions i am getting...maybe the engine was changed.. the decals have been painted over,,i will try to get a number off of it maybe that will tell me something , what gets me is the guy that owned said he plowed with it last year."can't believe all you hear" anything for a sale....rick

TT

That's the correct engine pulley.

I'm thinking they're around 3.5" to 3.75" OD on the "inside groove" and the outside (PTO) grooves are 2.5" OD - just like the gear-drive tractors.

ricky115

terry i measured them this morning....the pto pullies are 2.5 and the belt drive is 3.5 like you said..you think thats the right pulley?...rick

Kelly

That is the correct pulley for your tractor.

ricky115

still looking around for side belt covers, was thinking of replacing the engine pulley, dont know what else to do..im stuck on this one....rick

HankB

Several others have confirmed that the pulley appears to be the correct one for your tractor. What about what looks like a belt guide that is mounted too far from the pulley to do any good? Is that something else and not there for the belt? is it left over from an engine swap from a tractor with a bigger pulley? Can someone confirm whether the cover has a belt guide built into it or not?

I tried looking for a parts diagram for the 876 but Toro and Partstree had none.

-hank

Kelly

Don't change the pulley it IS correct, you need a belt guard, I belive a 875, 1075, 876, 877 will all fit they are the short frame hydro tractors.

I would belive that is the problem, I will try to look at my 1075, and the 875 to see if I spot anything else.

dennist

Rick, I took the belt off my 876 and it measured 71" the lock down locks quite tight, but with that belt, I do not need any guards on the tractor, also there are no marks on the guard to show that it ever rubs against it. I do have some photos of it if you want to see them, but they look just like yours. Also, the belt guide near the pulley on mine is really not doing anything-it actually looks to be in the wrong place, but does not effect the belt. I think the only issue is with the belt length.-Dennis

ricky115

guys thanks for sticking with me on this..."if the pulley is correct," i lowered the belt guide to hug the belt, that worked..to keep it on the engine pulley, but it would still slip off the tran pulley, there is an adjustment on the idler pulley(you loosen it to free up or tighten it to apply more tension, i messed with that moving it in and out, and don't ask me how. but the belt seems to staying on, and tranny works great foward and reverse maybe that idler pulley is the culprit :) dennis..that was my first thought, the belt i;ve been told is 72" i tried the 71" and it seemed to work but i guess i had other issues, because it still slipped off, now that it appears to be staying on, I will try the 71" again and leave everything else ALONE....film at 11...lol i will keep ya posted :USA: rick

HankB

I'm glad to hear that you have achieved some measure of success. Thanks for keeping us appraised of that. :)

ricky115

just to let you know that i was driving the tractor around the yard everthing seemed to be fine, stop , go, backup, all was good, drove it back into the garage and and the starter generator was hot as a pistol, i actually thought it was going to catch fire (almost wishing it had) i let it cool down, it started ok and ran, but i shut it down. NOW WHAT? what i know about electrical you can put in a thimble. It always started and ran, but not for any long periods because of the tranny. I bought a starter gen for it off of e-bay a while back and thought everything was ok. i think i've had it with this thing, and you guys are going to sick of hearing from me. maybe some gasoline and a match will fix it,,,lol :) rick

Duff

.....you guys are going to sick of hearing from me.......

Not at all! We're all in this crazy hobby (sickness/addiction?) together, and patience with each other's problems is in great supply. Sorry I can't offer anything on what's ailing the starter/generator, but I'm following along for the learning experience. Someone with expertise will jump in to help you, I'm sure!

Keep your chin up! :)

Duff :USA:

ricky115

no good news... im told the bottom terminal on the regulator that was on the engine( NOT ORIGINAL) shorted out against the starter housing and cooked the starter...we have a guy here locally that rebuilds them, he said the fields have to be replaced so he is going right through it, along with a new regulator, the one that is supposed to be on it, will have it back in a day or two...so the 876 is a lame horse for now..what to do they do with a lame horse? they take it a vet....rick

ricky115

well we have good news to report today...the vet says the horse will live....the gen/starter was rebuilt..installed and its all a go.. it seems the lack of a .50 cent bracket that mounts the regulator on the starter was the cause of the burn out This was a learning process for me ( you really need that bracket on these models, with a generator/starter) as far as the tranny i put the 71" belt back on the drive, and it appears im headed in the right direction. i drove this tractor today for the first time without the belt blowing off. rick