Sign in to follow this  
hotrodmerc

PTO thrust bearing

hotrodmerc

Looking to replace the thrust bearing, washers and stud on the PTO of my 1976 B-80. Does anyone know the number of the thrust bearing that is used? It appears mine is missing the stud that the spring goes over also.

buckeyebill440

Here's your numbers.....104842 is the stud. 9862 is the thrust bearing, and 7947 for a quantity of 2 are the thrust washers. They are still available from Toro, I just replaced mine last week, 76 B 80 also. Bring some money, I was surprised...

Hope this helps!

TT

Save yourself the hassle and use a 102872 stub shaft (has two snap ring grooves) and two of the 936125 snap rings like on the newer models.

Forget about the stud, thrust bearing, and spring and let the engagement bail pull the PTO pulley away from the clutch disc.

Look on this IPL for the second snap ring (#34) that is behind the outer bearing (#36) on the PTO pulley. It worked for :USA: , so it will work for you. :)

PTObelt.jpg

hotrodmerc

So what is the secret to getting the bearing race off the motor shaft?

Dockfishin

Not sure if it's the best way but just had this problem on a c-121. I used a puller hooked up to the drive shaft pulley. had 2 set screws in the pulley to remove then hooked pulley up and kept adding pressure till it got the race to move. not sure if it's the best way but it worked for me. Not sure how much pressure you can put on the pulley either but I had another one if it broke. Didn't want to use heat considering where it was. I only had to get the race to move then could get it off with a pair of channel locks. didn't pull off the drive pulley all the way. also had to use a pair of pliers to keep puller centered on the shaft end. came off fairly easy this way but as I said, I don't know if this is the best way or not. good luck

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=21496 this was my post on it asking also

Kelly

Well 90% of the time they just slide off, it it is junk, I've used a pipe wrench to get it loose, and others used the pulley to remove it.

gwgdog66

Did you unbolt Items 41 and 42 from the cluch disk and drive pulley? :) I have been known to forget that step before :USA:

If it is still stuck, I have used a rag on the race and a pipe wrench to get subborn ones to move.

hotrodmerc

I used a 2 jaw puller to get it off. It is just a press fit no set screws or keyway.

I do have the later 2 snap ring style so I can use the bail to pull the clutch out.

gwgdog66

I used a 2 jaw puller to get it off. It is just a press fit no set screws or keyway.

I do have the later 2 snap ring style so I can use the bail to pull the clutch out.

OK, I'm tracking now.