Curmudgeon

Pulling rear hubs

Curmudgeon

Wheel Horse rear axle hubs do one of two things. Either constantly come loose, or attach themselves permanently to rear axle. I've buggered them by pounding on them, pulled snap rings loose from the inside of the axle with prying, and snapped them with three jawed pullers. Heating will help, but that always ruins the paint at best, the seals are also in question afterwards.

Not too mention the just pain in the butt it is to do all that stuff.

There has to be a better way. Tell you what, there is!!!

Take a 6" square piece of 1/2 steel. Drill 6 appropriately placed and spaced holes. Tap the center one to 1/2" fine thread. Weld a 1/2" fine thread nut over the center hole just for good measure. Grind a small taper on the end of a 1/2x6" fine thread bolt. Cut off the points of the "square" for good measure. Using 5 bolts of appropriate size, attach to rear hub. Just set center bolt snug. Even up pressure on all 6 other bolts. Using a 3/8" impact on low setting, watch the hub slide of the axle harming NOTHING in the process.

Takes about a minute to attach the puller, pull the hub, and disengage the puller from the hub.

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hub_puller_1.jpg

hub_puller_2.jpg

What prompted me to finally do this? Having freshly painted the wrong hubs on the Lawn Ranger transmission and not wanting to mess up the paint! Should have done it years ago.

Dale, tickled red in Michigan

• Like 1

nylyon

Dale, patent that and sell it. Never had to remove a hub, but I have heard some horror stories about getting them off. This puller looks great, but ya got to paint it red :D

Sparky

I'd like to order one please. Can I get it before X-mas? Man that thing looks like its the bomb. I have busted all my knuckles to get some hubs off and I have one thats on a tractor I was dismantling to keep for parts that has never come off. I put a 3 jaw puller on it and cranked it real tight and shot it with PD Blaster and then cranked it some more the next day and kept it up for 4 days and its still on there nice and tight.

Mike....with no welder or welding skills :D

kpinnc

Outstanding idea there, Thirdroc. Beats paying the machine shop to press an axle out!

I have NEVER had both hubs come off easily. One always sticks!

T-Mo

Dale,

Great idea. I ruined a hub on the JD 210 when I had to replace the axle assembly. Luckily I had an extra hub or I would have been in trouble.

Curmudgeon

If there is serious interest, I could make more to sell. I use all grade 8 bolts, and that center one is NOT cheap. I added up what I have into it, and if I pay myself minimum wage for my work, I'd have to charge about $20 a piece plus shipping.

That sounds like a lot compared to the $5 jobs at the cheap tool places.

Maybe I could use grade 2 bolts, maybe I could use thinner steel. This is far heavier than the hubs are. But, when I build, I usually over build. That's my way.

If I'm in the building mood, beating christmas is no problem. If I'm not, the next 4th of July could be a problem. LOL

Oh, and don't look too close at that weld. All I could do yesterday was stick the rod. When I cranked up the heat, I blew away the bottom of the nut and had to fill it back in. A wire feed welder sure would work sweet on little jobs like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dale, waiting to see what happens, in Michigan

T-Mo

$20 a piece is really a bargain. Tools are outrageous so at $20 that would be a great bargain.

• Like 1

Curmudgeon

Maybe I should go $25? LOL

Shipping will kill you. That little sucker is heavy. I'll measure a couple of hubs, and if none are thicker than 3/8" I might go with the thinner steel if I make multiple copies.

Dale

Sparky

If ya decide to make em I'll take one for sure.

Mike......

Curmudgeon

I just ordered up bolts to make 3 more.....

Patience guys....

Dale

Curmudgeon

I just finished making three more hub pullers. Seems I ran into some non-thought about costs and will have to charge the $25, plus shipping, for anyone who wants one.

Soon as I get a bit of time on a less rainy day, I'll throw some paint on them and they'll be ready to ship. Any color you want, so long as it's whatever I have left over on the shelf. :D

Anyone interested, IM or email me with your shipping address and I'll see if I can work up a shipping cost.

Dale, off to bed soon, have to be at work at 1AM tomorrow.....

nylyon

If you order now, you will receive a free 2008 Wheel Horse Calendar download! :D

Sparky

Hey Dale. I sent ya an e-mail thru this site with my info.

Mike.....

glenn27

If there is serious interest, I could make more to sell. I use all grade 8 bolts, and that center one is NOT cheap. I added up what I have into it, and if I pay myself minimum wage for my work, I'd have to charge about $20 a piece plus shipping.

That sounds like a lot compared to the $5 jobs at the cheap tool places.

Maybe I could use grade 2 bolts, maybe I could use thinner steel. This is far heavier than the hubs are. But, when I build, I usually over build. That's my way.

If I'm in the building mood, beating christmas is no problem. If I'm not, the next 4th of July could be a problem. LOL

Oh, and don't look too close at that weld. All I could do yesterday was stick the rod. When I cranked up the heat, I blew away the bottom of the nut and had to fill it back in. A wire feed welder sure would work sweet on little jobs like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dale, waiting to see what happens, in Michigan

Just my opinion--Grade 8 ONLY--doesn't cost a quarter more to fly first class!

I'm also interested in the puller.... :D

baerpath

Sent ya a pm to see if I'm not to late

Duane :D

Buzz

Hey Dale, if you can make the show you ought to bring a bunch. Would help defray some of the cost of getting there and with the high cost of gas :D , we all can use a little help.

TT

Someone had two of these for sale at the WHCC show for $45 each.

I came home and cut the steel for mine, but it never got any further. :D

Curmudgeon

That's my problem!!! I didn't charge enough!!! I barely covered my costs. Guess that's why I'm poor. LOL

I have the metal cut for more, but don't have the bolts.

I did run into a problem of sometimes stretching the threads on the half inch bolt, even though all I used were grade 8. Or maybe I just like to put too much turn to it!!!

Not sure I'll have time to finish more, but if someone is interested in just the steel plate, add your own nut and bolts, I might be able manage that.

Jim_M

Dale,

I'll buy a plate from you.

Jim

nwh1-0475

Anybody still looking for some of these, I work for a company that has a laser and a powder paint line, I could probably get some of these made if'n anybody is interested. I am going to make one for myself, if I can make a bunch it will be cheaper.

halseyn

Are you still making or selling these hub pullers?

mrc

hi curmudgeon,  i'm not trying to steal your thunder.  i made something similar from a car hub with the same bolt pattern as wheelhorse.  i used a 7/8 inch diameter bolt.  also it was fine thread. (7/8x14)      i used this diameter so it would work on either the trannys with 1 inch axles or the 1.125 inch axles.   your idea is great but, may i suggest a larger diameter fine thread bolt for the jacking screw.   the combined strength of the larger diameter and fine thread will prevent you from stripping the threads.  hope this helps you.  mike in mass.

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Ok fellas. Here we are years so later. I decided to get back in gear on the 854. You know the next part. I am trying to get the rear hubs off. For days now. Did a search and found this thread. Now what? Who has em. Who makes them? Where are these hub pullers?

Answers truly appreciated as I am tired of we 40. Pa blater. Heating and beating.

Lord there must be a better way.

Glenn

Desko

I broke 2 heavy duty 3 jaw pullers on my right hub then the snapring on the inside of the tranny broke and I had to tear it down long story short it took a 20 ton press to get that bugger out.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Ok. Here's what I tried yesterday. No good. Tonight I borrowed a bearing spliter. I will put that around the Hub and then attach the puller. Let you know what happens.

Glennpost-12073-0-33599400-1400732775_thumb.jpost-12073-0-55532200-1400732816_thumb.j