Ok I have a shopping list together:

1 Shifter Boot 3577

1 Gasket 3912

1 seal 1303

3 seals 1232

red bearing grease

Nylock Nut 3/8-16

and a high speed needle for my carb.

Also whats keeps the shifter forks sliding nicely in the holes? Grease?

What of the above parts do you think I can find locally? I have a Napa and lots of other stores.

Thanks,

Bevan

yokomist

Well after scraping the inside of the case all night with a screw driver and many mineral spirit rinses, this is what I've got:

DSC01629.jpg

DSC01630.jpg

Its certainly better than it was! Hopefully it will pass.

B-8074

Any local Toro/Lawnboy dealer should be able to help. Also I have a manual that might help.

B-8074

Do you have a syphon type blaster? If you do you can get a large bag of sodium bacarbinate aka (baking soda that is unrefined) and it will clean everything up inside and it will not harm the bearings. Heck it won't even scratch a piece of glass. You get get it at Harbor Freight Tools, or maybe your local auto paint store. I have even bought from a local powder coating shop.

yokomist

I wish I did, Thats a great idea! I do hope to get one in the future, And given that I'm not going to replace any bearings I might just have the case open again shortly!

The surface rust that appears on everything - once the case is back together with the oil, the splashing will take care of that? Is there something I should coat everything with now to nip it in the bud?

Thanks!

Bevan

stevasaurus

I would get some 90 wt oil and soak the parts and case in it while you find seals. That was a good idea with the soda. That 1303 seal in discontinued, I'll search my post and find the replacement number, and edit here.

that 1303 seal crosses to a #7410 $2.87 last January. From Motion Industries...used to be Berry Bearings. :)

WOW, you have been busy all night...looks great. Did the bearings loosen up for you?

Also...that shaft in the lower corner also just pulls out. That is the shaft that the reverse idler gear goes on.

http://www.mowergraveyard.com/bearings-c-3...39523bf1f3c2dde

http://www.rcpw.com/search/?quest=1533&search=Search

2 site where you can get bearings if you need them.

yokomist

Morning Steve,

I have spent all morning on the phone, just incase someone carried the transmission gasket. No such luck, I thought if someone did and I could get the seals at Napa, I could get this squared away today.

Oh well I guess it gives me a chance to get the shifter boot ordered too. Should I just go through a local dealer or can I order from toro direct?

All the bearing loosened up nicely, the needle ones are hard to turn with a finger but they turn fine with the shafts in them. Im sure they will be even better with some bearing grease!

Bevan

stevasaurus

That is great news Bevan. I bumped my thread on the trans up to the top of Transmission now, so it is easier to find. Either your Toro dealer or online from them will work. Probably take two days either way. Sometimes the dealers are more for the parts. That replacement seal for the 1303...I'll bet you will have to order it from NAPA or Motion Industries. :)

motionindustries.com

B-8074

I always spray my parts down with WD-40 it's easy and it will displace any water that mite get on the parts. Here's a link to make a soda blaster and a nice benifit to soda blasting is it leave a residue that will protect the metal from flash rust for a few weeks unless you poor water on it.

yokomist

Hey Steve -

"One note...the Toro#1303 seal is discontinued. This is called a cup seal, because it has a cup shape. I replaced it with a kind of match (SKF #7410) same dimensions but more like a regular oil seal...it will work"

Is that 7410 a toro part number then? Is there a benefit to ordering the seals from somewhere other than toro? or can toro not supply anymore?

Just trying to see if I can get everything from one place.

Thanks,

Bevan

yokomist

Thanks B-8074, The WD-40 is just what I was looking for!

Its funny but being a chef, I was thinking about cooking spray to keep the rust under control lol. I was worried about the implications however, the WD should be perfect.

Also the soda blaster link is great, it must have been a Kiwi that taught that dirty Aussie how to do that! :)

:USA:

Bevan

stevasaurus

Toro does not have the SKF seal. SKF is a brand name just like CR (chicago rawhide).

Napa can order that seal for you or motion industries can probably get you all the seals, but Toro does have the others. Does that make since??? :)

B-8074

If your a chef you should have an endless supply of baking soda. :USA: I used the box out of my fridge once so I coulld clean a carb. :)

yokomist

Oh I see now, I was thinking it was like a SKU #, I thought you guys might have called them SKF's here lol :)

I will try and talk to someone from NAPA seen as there is one here locally, then order the gasket and boot from toro.

I will spray with WD-40 today and maybe see if I can get a soda blaster together while I am waiting for parts.

I should probably paint the case too to keep the rust under control on the outside. Valspar IH red right?

Thanks again Guys!

Bevan

stevasaurus

I like the Restoration series IH Red with red primer. I really like that soda blaster also.

Thanks for sharing B8074. Good luck in your quest Bevan,waiting to hear how it goes :) .

yokomist

This is without a doubt the most needy thread I have ever seen. At least no one has an excuse not to know every little detail in rebuilding a transmission now!

All the parts are ordered, I am going to do some painting and try to get the engine running with a borrowed carb from my 301 for a few days till the parts arrive. After that you know im gonna need some help getting this bad boy back together!!

Thanks for all the help guys, especially Steve!

Bevan

HankB

I always spray my parts down with WD-40 it's easy and it will displace any water that mite get on the parts. ...

Add my vote for WD-40. :) I use it on parts I paint to get oil and grease off. It helps to soften up the years of crud that need to be removed. For parts that I paint, I follow it with Simple Green to remove all traces of grease and oil. On parts that do not get painted, the WD-40 will leave a film that will help prevent further rust until assembly.

jpmcleod

Bevan.

I sent you my home town in your other post but I see you have move here. I can't find your PM info to send you a message. If you get a chance, send me an e-mail at jerry.pugh5170@yahoo.com.

I live in St. Cloud about 50 miles from you.

I have a C-81, Bronco 14, Commando 8, C-120, C-175 and a 312-8.

I have other brands also such as 3 J.D's. 2 Case's and I am currently working on a Gilson. I have some extra parts but they are not for a round hood.

Would be nice to meet you at I-4 and HWY 27 for lunch one day.

yokomist

Ok Jerry, I will send you through an email.

I look forward to seeing your tractors one day :)

Bevan

yokomist

Well...

I went to Napa to pick up the seals this morning that I had them order for me yesterday. They told me there was a mistake and they would take ten days to come in from IL? I think the guys said. Also that will be an additional $8.00 freight charge too!

I told them to forget about it. What a waste of time, So I am back to square one.

Perhaps I will try Advance Auto, I think I recall someone mentioning them. If not I will call Motion Industries and have them send it. Either way, this is a hold up.

On the upside I picked up some IH red from TSC. I see painting in my near future.

Bevan

stevasaurus

Bevan...what a bummer. Here is Motion Industries phone# 1-847-697-3100

Did you check for the Toro # 1232 seals with your Toro dealer?

If this gets too crazy, I will get the seals here and mail them to you.

yokomist

Thanks Steve, Hopefully I can still get around this.

I just had a break through on the #1232 seals. Advance Auto in town here has them in stock!

On a side note - Napa tried to tell me the 1232 seals were metal? They look rubber to me... Thats half the reason I told them not to bother. I am going to call and see how long it would take just to get the skf seal in.

fingers crossed!

Bevan

mavfreak

Its a good thing steve is here to help. His thread on the rebuild he did is ine of the most detailed on here.

stevasaurus

The 1232 seals are a hard plastic with a soft rubber inset, but some manufacturer may make them with a steel frame and the soft insert. :)

Thanks Heath...sent you a PM.

yokomist

Alright Steve my man, It looks like we are in business :)

Everytime I call NAPA I get a different story. The lady I just talked to said she could get the skf seal in by 4pm today.... Hopefully she is right.

I really better get painting!

One more question... I have never purchased red bearing grease before and while I was looking at the grease at TSC there was no one around to ask. They had nothing called bearing grease that I could see, what should I be looking for?

Thanks,

Bevan