Sign in to follow this  
Lowflyer

Bad rattle and vibration at higher RPM.

Lowflyer

Hi all. I have a C141 and have nearly finished doing a basic restore.

I have got her running and all seems good, no smoke and reasonably good starting.

Have had a run round the yard this morning and runs well.

I am finding at tickover the engine is sweet and chugs away quietly and smoothly.

However when I increase the RPM and drive around there is a lot of rattle and vibration.

I did notice when the shroud was off, that there was one fin sheared off the flywheel and am wondering if this would make much difference?

I also fitted new lord mounts and everything is good and tight.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Thanks.

Roly.

C141 my first Wheel Horse !!!

Dorset. U.K.

rmaynard

Having one fin broken off of the flywheel is like having a tire out of balance. You may not notice it at low speeds, but there will be a speed at which you will feel it. Same goes for the engine. Flywheels are precisely balanced at the factory and any changes like a broken fin can be a problem.

Bob

MaineDad

get a new and complete flywheel before things get worse...

Duff

get a new and complete flywheel before things get worse...

I second that - :) if you run it out of balancce for long you take a chance on screwing up bearings and then the crank..... :USA:

Duff

DoctorHfuhruhurr

If you're going to get a new one you could always try breaking off another on the opposite side to see if it balances it out since you're trashing it anyways.

bmuone

Gotta love it John Paul....

Lowflyer

Thanks guys for the input. Guess I will have to find a new flywheel and hope this sorts it out.

As I say at tickover she runs fine but guess with the extra speed of the flywheel with extra RPM the missing fin shows up more.

Thanks again.

Great group.

Roly C141 Dorset U.K.

Retired Wrencher

Roly What I have found out to be in my case is also loose floor boards and sheet metal Just make sure every thing tight. it took me a while to figure this out,something that simple. Take care. Gary B...........

rmaynard

If you're going to get a new one you could always try breaking off another on the opposite side to see if it balances it out since you're trashing it anyways.

Breaking off another fin is not the answer, since you are reducing your air flow, and you will never get a precise weight ratio for balance.

Don't take a chance on doing further damage to the internals, get another flywheel.

Bob

Save Old Iron

Breaking off another fin

maybe substituting the phrase "machining off equal amounts" for "breaking off" would allow confirmation that the flywheel is actually causing the vibration / noise.

Plus you may get back a very usable flywheel in the process. If not, sell it to a puller that will machine off the fins anyway.

The Toolman

JB a tire weight in its place. Figure whats close, 1oz maybe an give it a try. I know I'll catch heck for this from the others here, but I don't really care. don't waste $ on something you can fix yourself.

stevasaurus

JB a tire weight in its place. Figure whats close, 1oz maybe an give it a try. I know I'll catch heck for this from the others here, but I don't really care. don't waste $ on something you can fix yourself.

I decided to edit this post and remove the part that was taken to be offensive.

Sorry Ron...

DoctorHfuhruhurr

Breaking off another fin

maybe substituting the phrase "machining off equal amounts" for "breaking off" would allow confirmation that the flywheel is actually causing the vibration / noise.

Plus you may get back a very usable flywheel in the process. If not, sell it to a puller that will machine off the fins anyway.

Thanks for the clarification. That's what I was driving at in my overall point. I had a similar issue and was able to get that method to work without any issues. I didn't see any noticeable temperate changes with my infrared heat gun compared with other similar engines. In my case I was able to stop the vibration and the engine is fine after 500 additional hours.

Save Old Iron

Thanks for the clarification. That's what I was driving at in my overall point.

Never a doubt in my mind that was your intent ....

and Willis, say one of your special "prayers" for anyone who glues anything to the outside of a flywheel.

The Toolman

Thanks for the clarification. That's what I was driving at in my overall point.

Never a doubt in my mind that was your intent ....

and Willis, say one of your special "prayers" for anyone who glues anything to the outside of a flywheel.

Well Mr SOI, that wasn't what I intended for him to do, but since y'all around here never seem to give anybody the benefit of the doubt. I'll leave it at that, an pm him how to do what I an others have done a 100 times before on lawnmower flywheels with no ill benefits.

Just because you live east of the mississippi doesn't automatically make you more intellegnt or higher on the food chain than us over here in Redneck country as you all call it.

You apparently assume that I am an idiot since I live in the Mo. Ozarks, but rest assured I am not the redneck you think I am.

Save Old Iron

You're a Redneck if: :)

Sorry Ron...I couldn't resist. You are cracking me up. :USA::wh:

Ronnie. I think you have me confused with someone else's post previous to mine - mine does not contain the word or sentiment for "Redneck".

Do us all a favor son and take a look at the posts again - my names not on it. I quoted it directly so any "Redneck" comments can be easily associated with the real author.

I'll repeat my opinion again regarding gluing things to the outside of any flywheel - VERY DANGEROUS.

And I really don't care if your north, south, east or west of me in your lifestyle or education, just keep that glued up flywheel FAR AWAY FROM ME.

The Toolman

whatever, talk about not wanting to try something new. Your the typical type guy to criticize before you have even seen what it is yet.

Well I tell ya what slick, ya better get that alternator off your car, it an all glued up thing spinning in the car a lot faster than his lawnmower engine.

Apparently your old enough to think we are still using mucilage to hold things together. well it 2010, not 1895

I'm outta here for awhile, hell maybe for good. I've met a few nice guys here, but I've also seen some of the greediest an back stabbing people on any of the forums I have been on in years here. Hell, I thought the HD vs Honda forum was bad. Their like amatuers compared to here

I found 1 here that his word isn't worth anything no matter what he tells you. Hes to interested in trying to impress everybody.

I've ran across 2 threads where guys have ask about a tractor an happen to give the location, an its mysteriously gone by that eve or next morn.

1 thread where some guy backstabbed another over some tractor deal.

this forum is absoulutley to cheap to fix it where you can put up pics without going thru 10 hoops to do it.

All you had to do was ask for some $ for that reason. I tell everybody that has trouble to put there pics on My Tractor Forum where its as simple as 1 click.

Yeah you can kick me off here if ya want, I got my 1 tractor an don't want anymore anyway.

Frank F. an Larry D. your still my buds, at least you do what you say, when you say it. you got my addy...................

matter of fact, just delete me outta this good ol boys click/forum. I'll go where its more gentleman like

Save Old Iron

I will always try new stuff - as long as it's safe for me and those around me.

I just did a quick calculation (ciphering some gazinta's)

and a projectile leaving a flywheel spinning at 3600 rpm will leave the flywheel at over 7000 feet per second.

Think your rusty engine skins are going to stop that? That's my only concern about the word flywheel and glue in the same sentence.

I'm really sorry so many people have disappointed you. I know that feeling too.

stevasaurus

Ron, I am truly very sorry if I offended you...I never meant any malice. I have been disappointed to with some people here, but I got over it because of the number of good people. In this case I agree with SOI, only I said it in a different way. Up here, we could have said jury-rigged, or a number of other things that mean the same thing...it is not fixed right, it is just made to work.

You have to understand one thing Sir...if you make a suggestion like that and that person did that and ended up being hurt because of you...how would you feel. Think about that while you are on your high-horse. :)

Again, I apologize if I offended you, I certainly did not mean to.

Save Old Iron

Back to business folks,

Rolly is located in the UK. Wheel Horse junkyards are probably not as plentiful as here in the USA.

Simply saying "get a new one" may involve major $$. I still think machining off an opposing fin and checking the DYNAMIC balance of the stator could be the answer - assuming a replacement is not readily available.

Sorry for the dust up Rolly, obviously we are all passionate about our tools, be they laser guided whatevers or stones strapped to the ends of fire charred sticks.

Cheers mate.

and by the way - if you need help locating a replacement here in the states, let me know. I bet I can snag a good one for you in short order. Lets say I know a guy who has pulled my butt out of the fire every time I needed something special. You know who you are. :)

DoctorHfuhruhurr

There's also the option of drilling a hole in a fin(s) and adding a bolt and washers for balance weight which "may" be a bit safer than JB weld but if I did it I'm sure it would break on me and fire off like a bullet and I'd end up on the show "1000 ways to die". Just an idea; I don't recommend it though.

Kelly

well as fun as this topic is, NOT, I would not recomend attaching anything anyway to the flywheel, some may have had good luck with, but it only takes one not having good luck to screw up someones life, I am sure for about $75 I can ship you a good flywheel, and you will be safe and not have to worry about flying parts, I can't say it will fix your problem.

just let me know.

Lowflyer

Well thanks to you all for your feedback. I certainly did not mean to stir up the hornets nest and have gratefully received all the comments.

Thanks Ron for your ideas on balancing and like you I only have the one Horse and and am just trying to get her running as sweet as I can.

The tin work is all pretty tight although I admit there are vibrations from it I am thinking that it is coming from the fractured fin at speed.

We do have one good breaker not to far away from me and he has collected quite a few now.

I think I will see what he has to offer and the price and then either go for it or consider some of the other options.

Many thanks again.

Roly C141 Dorset U.K.

JimD

Roly, I wish I had the flywheel you need. I would send it to you for the cost of shipping. As you can see, opinions and emotions sometimes run high on a topic here. You didn't stir the hornets nest. That was done by others who tried to help in their own way and were cast into the realm of trading insults. <_< I hope you find what you need and I'd like to see pics of your tractor when you have time. We love pics here. :)

clintonnut

I did that with my puller! It had a broken fin and I broke the one off the other side. Runs real smooth!

Charlie