Sign in to follow this  
garybllrdr

1976 speedex tractor

garybllrdr

ok today i found a 1976 speedex tractor in doing some reasearch i found this info posted anyone know how acurate it is?

also if it is i was hoping somone had some good parts connections for these actually got 2 tractors lots of parts but only one fuel tank which is rusted inside and fouled fuel lines ect.

so either looking for new tank/used or best way to clean rust out and such.

s t o r y

In 1935 Harold Pond founded the "POND TRACTOR COMPANY", and built Speedex tractors. He developed the Model B which is the first four wheel garden tractor in America. It had tiller steering, steel wheels, Briggs & Stratton Model ZZ air cooled engine, a Ford Model-A transmission, and Ford Model-T rear axle. By 1940 it was sold with rubber tires and by 1941 it was sold with a 6HP Briggs engine. A 1941 Sales Pamplet lists the Co. name as "POND GARDEN TRACTOR CO." the Model-B tractors were built in 1939,1940,1941,1942,1943. During this time he also developed the Model A and C walk-behind Tractors. In 1942 the Model FG ( Farm and Garden )was developed using a Ford Model A 4-cylinder engine, Model-A transmission,and Model-T rear axle. Later FG's had Model-A rear axle.

It wasn?t until 1949 that Harold Pond then changed his company name to the "SPEEDEX TRACTOR COMPANY".

In 1950 Harold developed the M-23 which utilized his own differential and transmission design. Several models proceeded from 2 wheel tractors to other 4 wheel tractors, the D-4, M-8, M-12, M-14, M-16, M-23, M-25 and WT two wheel walk behind..

In 1957 Harold Pond sold his company to Maury Foote and Jerry Stowe. Harold and his wife Golda then moved back to his native state and town of Galesburg ,Kansas. Born April 30th ,1905 Horld E.Pond died on Nov. 18th 1966 at the age of 61.

Don1977

They make some kits to repair rusty gas tanks. I think I saw a thread on here about it, but have not been able to find it. It comes with a rust remover that you use to remove all the rust. It then has a coating that covers the inside and fills any holes in the tank.

A friend of mine used to repair an A-Model tank.

wh79d160

Go to the motor cycle shop & ask for Kreem. It's a tank coating. I used to buy it from Parts Unlimited & sell it @ my NAPA store. It's a good product. Right before I got out of the business, I think they strarted selling a 2-part Kreem product that had an activator. The best way I was always told to clean a tank out is to get a bunch of 1/4 " nuts & bolts & put them inside & shake the bejesus out of it. I never tried it my self. Good luck.