Sign in to follow this  
PetesPonies

Auger attachment . .

PetesPonies

anyone have/use an auger for drilling holes in the ground? This would be one run off your tractor.

Sparky

I've never seen one for a horse. Would like to tho :thumbs: .

Mike............

refracman

Do you have any pics of it, depending on the style i would have some intrest in it. Always lookin for attachments :thumbs:

Curmudgeon

Farm tractor, yes, never seen one for a garden tractor though...

Duff

Like Dale, I've seen 'em on farm tractors, and one local commercial fencing outfit also has one rigged on an old Willys Jeep (CJ3, I think).

Not sure how you'd set up the drive from a garden tractor, but if someone figures it out, there are a bizillion small farmers out there that should be eternally grateful to you! Driving cedar fence posts is great exercise but here in NH where the earth literally grows a fresh crop of rocks every year, it's no fun! :thumbs:

Deereman

refracman

Wheel horse offered a hydraulic driven posthole auger for the GT14. it had a pump run off the pto and was attached useing the 3PT. over on the manual group theres a sheet on it . now only if i could figure out how to post it we'd be a seein it :thumbs:

PetesPonies

I was wondering because it would be a usefull attachment. I saw plans for building one from an old rear of a car, just thought I would ask. I'd like to see the one your eference for the GT14.

Curmudgeon

Like Dale, I've seen 'em on farm tractors, and one local commercial fencing outfit also has one rigged on an old Willys Jeep (CJ3, I think).

Not sure how you'd set up the drive from a garden tractor, but if someone figures it out, there are a bizillion small farmers out there that should be eternally grateful to you! Driving cedar fence posts is great exercise but here in NH where the earth literally grows a fresh crop of rocks every year, it's no fun! :thumbs:

Deereman

Ummm, Deereman, have you ever tried to auger a hole where there ANY rocks?

You'll be :thumbs::D:P:D:P if you have!!!!!

When that auger hits a rock, it'll jump, it'll buck, it'll drill off sideways at an angle, it'll do EVERYTHING EXCEPT drill a hole where that rock is!!!!

Been there. :P

Stigian

Will you guys stop giving me ideas on things to build :D:thumbs:

An auger would come in handy to get the fence post in the ground around my garden, its a job ive managed to put off for the last er.... 3+ years :thumbs:

Curmudgeon

Ian, more things to build means................. more excuses to put off other things!!!

Duff

Ah, yes, Dale, I've drilled a few holes amongst these lovely New Hampshire rocks. They don't call us the "Granite State" fer nuthin'! You're right - the auger does a real shimmy-shake and acts like it's demon possessed. I found if you slow down the rotation and work gently, unless the rock is larger than the bore of the auger it will often dislodge and work its way to the surface without too much aggravation, but if you're spinning at speed and tie into one, all h*ll is apt to break loose. :thumbs:

Somewhat related, has anyone seen the new tow-behind backhoe DR just came out with? Looks like it's got real potential!

Deereman

Curmudgeon

Slow down?

What's that?

Yeah, that helps, if the rock is small enough. Depends on which "side" of the hole the rock is on. If it's front or back in relation to the tractor, the auger is free to swing, and will go off at an angle more so than if the rock is on the side, where the auger isn't quite so free to move.

Now if you want to talk tree root, you can sheer the pin holding the auger on the shaft. That's a lot of fun to get back on with the auger stuck in the hole, but it's a lot easier to replace a sheer pin than a busted gear in the gearbox!!!!

Don't get the wrong idea, these are marvelous, labor saving attachments, they just have their limitations is all.

Duff

Now if you want to talk tree root, you can sheer the pin holding the auger on the shaft. That's a lot of fun to get back on with the auger stuck in the hole, but it's a lot easier to replace a sheer pin than a busted gear in the gearbox!!!!

Don't get the wrong idea, these are marvelous, labor saving attachments, they just have their limitations is all.

Ah! The man speaks from experience, I gather! Good points you make!

Are you in the fencing biz? :thumbs:

Deereman

combatmp29r

Ok I know I'm kinda late chiming in here, but I knew I had seen literature on a hyd post hole digger for a GT some where. I found it here. It was manufactured for the JD 140 GT, but the idea could be used for a WH or any other brand. It was made by Danuser Machine Works in Claremore, OK. They made the Danco loaders too. It was called the Compact digger. The bottom 2 pictures on the page in the link are the sales literature for it.

Rideawaysenior

Rocks? Nothing a few m 100's taped together wont fix. LOL Just teasing. I live where it's rocky too. Post hole diggers are great for certain types of soil. If you have a nice rock free plot they are the way to go hands down. If you live where I do, better own a 5 ton Kobelco excavator.

Curmudgeon

Ah! The man speaks from experience, I gather! Good points you make!

Are you in the fencing biz? :thumbs:

Deereman

Oh yes, I speak from experience, not just blowing hot air to hear myself vent gas.

Nope, never been in the fencing "business", but grew up, and spent many a year on a dairy farm, and we had plenty of fences.

We had an, oh, 12" auger I think, three point hitch, post hole digger for the farm tractors.

Duff

Nope, never been in the fencing "business", but grew up, and spent many a year on a dairy farm, and we had plenty of fences.

Same here, but no tractor-mounted auger. Lots of time with an iron bar and a sledge.

Have a great spring!

Deereman

CasualObserver

I've never seen one for a horse. Would like to tho B) .

Mike............

Now you've at least seen the picture! This is a Danco (Danuser) posthole digger for the GT-14 that was available through the Allied Attachments catalog. Same one Joel linked to for JDs eariler.

postholedigger.jpg

Curmudgeon

Cool beans, never seen a picture before. Certainly are different than ones used on the bigger farm tractors.