Sign in to follow this  
illinilefttackle

PLOWED TODAY!-KINDA

illinilefttackle

:thumbs: Well Guys-my curiosity got the best of me-when I got home today I fired up the Horse and put on the Plow-and headed for the back!.

I quickly found out I no nothing about plowing. I tried it out on an inconspicuos place-then realized the ground im plowing has A LOT OF SOD.

So I raised the plow cut to about 3 inches then made some practice passes to see it I could just peel off the sod-to be picked up later by unsuspecting grand children.

I think it worked OK-look at the pics-what do you think? The ground was just a little wet to plow the whole area-this is about 1/3 of the whole thing.

I can do this right? Then replow it without the sod in the way-right? I will appreciate any advice-sorry no action shots had to bum these pics off of an interested nieghbor-AL

garden3.jpg

garden2.jpg

garden1.jpg

Craig Arndt

Does look a little wet, but I'm not even able to call myself a novice. Be glad to find the way to do it, from what I have heard there is some adjustment. How far did you have to plow, doesn't look much more than 30 feet or so.

illinilefttackle

:thumbs: The garden will be about 40'x30'. The sod was really heavy and wet-but the Ole Girl just Groaned a little and kept on pulling. I hope when I get the sod off it will go better. The first practice pass I made the plow was set to go 6 inches deep-it did sod and all. But then I changed it up to just get the sod peeled back-Once we get it all cleared off I can really sink it in the dirt to get a good turnover.

But I will have to wait til the soil gets dryer to do the final pass.

This plow works slick-I couldn't keep my eyes off it turning the sod over while I was moving foreward. These Horses are STRONG!-AL :thumbs:

Sparky

Looks good Al :thumbs: . I've never used a plow like yours but the posts by you and Hoosier have got me thinkin I need one. Of course I have no use for it but that never stopped me from buying other WH attachments :thumbs: .

Mike..............

MaineDad

AL,

Sod is always tough. Once it is removed, you will find plowing a lot easier. One thing to also consider is how the hitch is setup. Do you have the plow yoke installed correctly? See this link for the correct mesaurements;

http://www.weekendfreedommachines.org/tech.../plowsetup.html

The first time I plowed I used hole number 2L. I switched the yoke around and used #1 figure B and it worked much much better! The distance between my rear wheels on the 314-8 is 19.5 inches.

Teddy da Bear

I have tried plowing sod. I gave up and had a full size tractor remove the top layer of sod. Then it was a peice of cake.

My wife and I spent days picking up the sod and beating the dirt out of it. We used the remainder to fill in low spots on my property.

Once my gardens were opened up... Plowing was no longer necessary. From that point on I used my 36" rototiller. It does an amazing job. Never have I seen such a smooth, tilled plot of earth.

Mike

Niles, Mi

illinilefttackle

:whistle: The garden is being planted as we speak-got the grandkids,daughter, and one son-in-law helping. My knees wont let me get down and do things at ground level anymore. I think its Peppers,Tomatoes, Strawberrys, Corn, Cucumbers, and some melons for the kids. I probably left something out, but I'll know more when they are done.

After the plowing I did in this thread-I couldn't get anyone to help remove the sod-SO- I put the front blade back on and plowed it all to the end of the garden plot. I know now my next project is a SCOOP for the blade- I then plowed again and finished with the home-made cultivator I made to break up the soil-worked quite well. They are putting chicken wire around everything and using the USED cat ltter around that-to keep out critters. I had another coaching session with my MURDERER friend Hermione the cat-she has her orders-she seems to understand what I'm saying- of course it could have something to do with my promises of CATNIP if she does her job well!

Pictures to follow!-AL

WheelHorse_of_course

Dampness is critical when plowing. Needs to be dry enough to get good traction, but not too dry.

Traditionally, with a big tractor, the sod is turned under and adds organic matter to the soil, but I could see how that would be hard with a garden tractor.

Usually it is flipped, then wait a week (with the leaves under and the roots being burned by the sun) and then disc is to break up the sod and clumps (lots of discing needed if there was good sod). At that time some leaves may be exposed, but the grass has been seriously weakened so the crop should be able to get ahead of it.

Once crops are in, plant a green manure crop and start the cycle again!