Sign in to follow this  
WheelHorse_of_course

K301 Sounds

WheelHorse_of_course

:D As I posted earlier this week, I finally got the used replacement K301 installed on my Charger and started it up.

Engine sounded really good (way better than the old one). Yesterday I started her again just to admire it and noticed the idle seemed a bit high, so I lowered it by ear (I need to get out the tach and check the idle and also make sure the governor is working and will do so).

However :thumbs: when I lowered the idle I can now hear, only at idle a tapping. Definitely not end play in a shaft. Possibly the rod bearing or something else :thumbs: ?

Any ideas. I realized when I started this the other day I have never heard a brand new K301, just old ones. Overall this one sounds better than any I have heard..... but then yesterday I discovered this knock and began wondering...

Let me know what you guys thinks.

nylyon

Do you have fresh 30w oil in it?

WheelHorse_of_course

Karl

Yup, the PO had drained it so I put oil in it BEFORE connecting the starter and fuel lines (I can be absent minded so I try to be proactive).

Another nice thing about this engine was a very low amount of oil and black oily debris on the outside, so it probably does not leak oil.

As I said, it sound very good until I lowered the idle.

I *might* be somethng vibrating other than the engine though I did try to narrow things down by touching various objects and no change.

Rolf

illinilefttackle

My K301 is certainly used-but I hear the same tapping when I turn my idle down-it's a medium metallic taping sound-not heavy or tinny-it doesn't show the characteristics of a rod tap-maybe lifters? Just my 02 cents-AL-- :thumbs:

WheelHorse_of_course

AL,

thanks for the report. Have not put the hood back on, so I think I'll pop the cover and check the valve clearances. I checked and they are adjustable on the K301 and are to be adjusted every 500 hours, so now would be a good time since I have no idea how many hours this engine has on it.

It will also be good to clean and check the breather.

In car engines excess valve play causes a "clicking" noise but I don't know about a small engine. Can't hurt to check it.

I do know that other than this this engine sounds good, better than the last few I have had.

cheers :thumbs:

Mith

I always thought it was the lifters, all my Kohlers do it.