Sign in to follow this  
Craig Arndt

42" RD Deck

Craig Arndt

Just a question on my deck, I have plans to repaint it. The rear has bolt holes that go across, is this for a deflector or something?

Does anyone have one or use one?

nylyon

Craig I have thought the same thing as well. I bought mine new in 1994 and at the time the only option for the deck was a recycler kit which does not use those holes. I did ask the dealer what they were for and he didn't know at the time either. But I would love to know what those are for too.

CasualObserver

Do either of you have a picture? Without seeing the holes... and not knowing the location, I'd guess drain holes for those folks who hose off their decks? :thumbs: :thumbs:

nylyon

Jason, see holes on the discharge edge, those are the holes we're (or at lease I) am talking about.

spring07.JPG

CasualObserver

Hrmm :thumbs: those are funny ones! My guess would also be that maybe in the original design there was a flap or deflector planned for there? Could it have anything to do with a front mount carrier per chance?

nylyon

Front mount carrier.... there's a thought have to look up the parts for that to see if there's anything for that....

TT

How's this for service?

deckRD.jpg

My '86 YT-12A had this deflector mounted on the deck - which helped to keep some of the grass off of the rear tires. It also promoted a very nice wind row effect when mowing taller grass. (I removed it after the second mowing. :thumbs: )

I would imagine the same dies were used to stamp all 42" RD shells, so the holes got punched regardless if the deflector was to be installed or not.

05-42XR06 is the deck model # and the deflector P/N is 109038. (if you want to look it up. :thumbs: )

CasualObserver

inquisition4.gif

AHA! Nice job TT!

nylyon

I wonder why they stopped that? That part is not listed in my 94's parts list, seems like it was a good idea?

CasualObserver

Probably too many people complaining about the wind row effect. :thumbs:

Craig Arndt

Good catch on that, I thought there had to be something up with it.

I could make something to deflect the grass downward. That would keep my tires and wheels a lot cleaner. Its actually just the left side that seems to really get most of the clippings thrown at it.