Sign in to follow this  
cleb

D series electrical problem

cleb

I was mowing my lawn today with my 18 Auto (w/ a Kolher k482) and it seemed to lack power on the thick areas...

After I finished up I was thinking that maybe on of the cylinders was not firing... so I pulled one cylinders spark plug wire and the engine sounded exactly the same... I put it back on and pulled the other and the engine died.

I tried starting it with the good side unplugged and I did not even pop...

ok... so first think I did was replace the plug wire... these wires seemed suspects anyways... that did not help...

so I looked at the coil... on the side that is not firing there is some black fluid like something leaking out the side...

I pulled the plug and checked grounded out the plug and it was sparking...

So now I am confused... I would figure if the coil was dead/deing that I would not see any spark...

I am going under the assumption that the fluid leaking out of my coil is probably not good so i am going to look for a replacement... I found a old post the mentioned this site for coils : http://www.kirkengines.com/

I last used the tractor a couple a weeks ago and it seemed to run fine... right up until the deck belt broke... I know that side was running because that side smokes a little...

I would love to hear other ideas about what could be going in...

thanks

Chris

Trouty56

I would try new plugs for starters then move on to a compression test. For a coil you could get this recommended to me by another member.

Good luck.....

Kelly

I would try plugs first cheap and can't hurt to have new plugs, then swap the plug wires in the coil, this has one coil with two leads right?? if the problem moves to the other cyl. you know you have coil issue, but some times plugs will not fire correctly under compression so start with plugs.

bitten

I had the same problem with my D. I would defiantly try the plugs and wires first. It didnt work for me but is the cheapest thing to start with. I ended up putting a brand new coil on and man did it ever help. It runs better now then it did when I got it.

cleb

I ended up picking up a NOS coil... $80... I will be putting new wires on too... do you know what plug goes on the k482 engine??? would like to swap everything at the same time....