Sign in to follow this  

poor man trying to build a hot rod

hi, it been a while since i posted. i got to looking around the last 6-8 months, got an idea, and started laying pieces in a pile for a project. here it is. i guess, you could call it a c-81. it has a c-81 hood and frame. a c-165 8 speed rear axle. a 701 flipped front axle and rear fenders from 1963 short frame. sawmill 8 inch fronts. 25 x 12 atv rears. dropped 6 inches in the front and 4 1/2 in the rear. engine is 18 vanguard. no pre 65 stuff will be modified or cut for this project. this project has a very limited budget. had to buy tubes for rears, and that was tough for me. i dont have money. i do have a welder, a cutting torch, a bunch of junk tractors, and alot of ambition. going to use what i got, and build me a hot rod. jimmy

project001.jpg

project002.jpg

project003.jpg

project004.jpg

project005.jpg

project006.jpg

• Like 2

Roger from southern Iowa

Now THAT'S a hot rod!!!!!!!

I really like the overall look and that Vanguard......... :USA: :)

Uncle BO

Thats what were talkin about :USA: looking good :)

unclebo

racinfool40

:) Love the stance of it keep us posted. So far lookin :USA:

horsefeathers

Jimmy,

Looks like your right on course brother!! Luv that rake!!!

Who needs money? Your at the point in the build that takes more time than cash!

Stand back 'n look! You got one bad azz machine goin' on there! Now focus!

Pick up on the small details that will make yer Rod stand out in a crowd!

That v twin is a great engine for this project!

And what about that H-D V Twin, is that a Dyna?

Keep it commin' we need more custom stuff here! (just my opinion!)

Thanks!!!

:) HORSEFEATHERS!

Ken B

Your Build is coming along very nicely. I'm looking to take on a project like this very soon. Its almost time for me to dig out the mig and fire up the torches!

VinsRJ

Look'n good, nothing like a rod!

KC9KAS

Sweet looking rod! :) Keep up the good work, and of course, keep us posted with pictures!

leichty

Very nice keep us updated on the pictures.

Coadster32

I'm liking it! :) :USA:

rmaynard

Any progress on the rod?

HorseFixer

:ychain: SWEET! :D:D:hide: :D

btrrg1969

Thats pretty cool :ychain:

Docwheelhorse

I like it.... but make one change---take off those fronts and find a set of 4.80x8 "pizza cutters" I might even have a set off a horse around here somewhere. NOTHING beats a heavy rake with pizza cutters in front and steam rollers out back! :ychain:

Tony

HI AGAIN, SHES STILL THE SAME IN APPERANCE. I DID DO SOME MODS TO THE ENGINE. VALVE SPRINGS, PUSHRODS, AND HOT CAM. ALSO ADVANCED TIMING 30 DEGREES. SHES SOUNDS SO WICKED NOW!!! AND VERY RESPONSIVE. BUT IM BROKE AGAIN.... GOOD THING IS SHE AINT EATIN NOTHIN. :ychain: I DONT KNOW WHAT PIZZA CUTTERS ARE. BUT I WOULD LIKE TO FIND SOME DIFFERENT FRONTS. I LIKE THE ONES ON IT, BUT THEY ARE BORROWED OFF OF THE 700. THEY HAVE TO GO BACK TO THE 700. WILL POST MORE WHEN PICTURES CAN DO JUSTICE AND FUNDS PERMIT :D

Docwheelhorse

"Pizza Cutters" is a phrase from the 60's reffering to the very very narrow bicycle tire size fronts the dragsters where running. Just think of how thin your pizza cutter in your kitchen drawer is and it will all come to light.

Tony

Olratlr

That sure does look wicked.

Would like to here it run. :ychain:

wheelhorse656

that puppy looks nice!!!!!!!!!!!

rickv1957

Looking good there !!! :ychain:

ok guys, sorry for the delay. im buying a new house. out in the country. my 2 bed

room house aint cuttin it for the family. my projects get on the back burner. :thumbs:

oh, well family comes first to me.. anyway, this project is getting a slight adjustment, when time prevails. im going to install the original axle.(i know the rake is killer like it is)

on the farm, with no public roads, this would be unpractical. pretty much going to put it back to the the c-81 stance. also raise the rear. it will keep the killer motor though. plan to use on the farm. sorry for posting pics with hot rod intentions. it will still be radical, just a different style. will post pics.

jimmy

AMC RULES

ok guys, sorry for the delay. im buying a new house. out in the country. my 2 bed

room house aint cuttin it for the family. my projects get on the back burner. :thumbs:

oh, well family comes first to me.. anyway, this project is getting a slight adjustment, when time prevails. im going to install the original axle.(i know the rake is killer like it is)

on the farm, with no public roads, this would be unpractical. pretty much going to put it back to the the c-81 stance. also raise the rear. it will keep the killer motor though. plan to use on the farm. sorry for posting pics with hot rod intentions. it will still be radical, just a different style. will post pics.

jimmy

That's cool. Endless possibilities, that's why it's called a project. Sounds like your priorities are in the right place. Family first, projects later. :thumbs:

theoldwizard1

Old racer's axiom:

"How fast you want to go is only limited by how much money you have in your pocket !"

jsmay

I know your plans changed but that was a real tough looking tractor. It would be cool to haul the family in parades with... I use my stock tractor in the local kiddie parade every year.... helps justify the need for a "tractor" when my yard is 1/3 acrea (with an old farmhouse and barn taking up most of that).

either way, i'm sure it will look great back in stock trim.

JC 1965

:thumbs: WOW !! That is one cool looking machine. Very nice keep up the good work and keep us posted.

johnsr11

Your doing an awesome job!! Looks awesome, keep up the good job