dunk50

416H mower deck install

dunk50

I feel like a really big dumb ars but I took my mower deck off last year and have spent all day trying to put it back on. it's not lifting level or the right side. Is there a site with any photos of hooking it back up.

I have some very basic questions. WHen I put the plow on I use a 4 or 5 inch link to lift and lower the plow frame. is that link used on the mower deck.

On the mid section attachment I can get it up and locked in but on the mower deck attachment arm that goes in the attachamatic there is a fork like arm sticking off it. Does it go anywhere particular. I know this is clear as mud. Actually really need a photo of the two attachment points. Front with the little fork and the lift arm. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

C-Series14

I am here to save the day :thumbs: I hold the world and US record for removal and installation of a 48" mower deck onto a C-Series tractor! lol! :thumbs: It's under a minute!!! Seriously Now, first off, what I do to raise and lower my snowplow is use a straight bar link so I can have down pressure. I first remove the tractors "T" shaped lift bar that should have the chain and trunnion on it. It mounts under the tractor in between the frame section near where the tranny bolts, has an "E" clip and brass tophat bushing. Slides thru the left side, into the right side, then slide the tophat bushing into the frame on the left side and install the "E" clip. So, to raise and lower the deck, it uses that "T" shaped bar with the chain and trunnion. The "T" shaped bar has a pin at the lift end and it goes in the decks lift linkage. The decks fwd lift link goes in the tractors mid tach-a-matic with the "V" part splitting the cross pin which is your release button on the left side, it goes all the way thru the mid tach-a-matic. Does this give you a start? If you want personal help, email me...

2005hd@adelphia.net

Mike

dunk50

You do it in a minute and I worked a good 4 or 5 hours. Somethings not right. My luck!! OK I think I am doing it right just not having any luck. 1st I took the plow off and took the solid link to the plow off with it. What I have now is a chain that lifts a foot long bar that has a 5/8 pin sticking off it from left to right. I slid the deck under the tractor and that 5/8 pin slides into a slot on the deck frameing. There is no C clip but there is a hole for a pin or cotter key. I put a washer on the pin and a cotter key. When I raise the deck to engage the the front mid a matic is where i am having a problem or doing something wrong. I turn the fork vertical to straddle the cross pin that is the release button and then the deck linkage will not go up into the attachamatic. I will work on it some more tomorrow but after what you have said I am not so sure that something did not get bent over the winter. I'll give it another shot tomorrow. Thanks for the reply!!

C-Series14

Well, when you have been removing and installing these decks for as long as I have, you get quick! lol! OK, you have the right lift bar on, the clip is on the rear where the lift bar mounts, it probably is already on there. I take mine off when I go to winter mode. The front mounting bar on the deck with the "V" should be vertical like you said, and usually, it should go in. I get on the left side, and hold the mount bar vertical, and on hydro's, I have the tractor running and raise the deck, the mount bar should go right into the mid tach-a-matic. The end plates of the mount bar should be on the outsides of the tach-a-matic. I think you are doing it right, something might be bent. I don't have a deck on right now or I would take a pic but it sounds like you are doing everything right. Will check in tomorrow....Don't give up, it is the best mounting system out there! :thumbs:

illinilefttackle

Hey Dunk! Im not a Wheel Horse Expert nor did I play one on TV-But I do own a C-125 Hydro. If I'm reading your post right-The little "FORKED" thingy (sorry Stigian) points upward but slightly forward if I remember right. Try that and see if it helps_AL :thumbs:

C-Series14

Al, I saw that show on TV!!!

OK, my memory is NOT what I thought! The "V" straddles the cross bar just forward of the tach-a-matic slots, NOT THE release pin rod!!! :thumbs::thumbs::D I just went and looked. As far as my memory, I do work around airplanes and may have inhaled a little too much exhaust fumes over the last 30 years! :P

dunk50

Thanks for all the info. I think I was doing it right also so tomorrow I just push it a little harder.

illinilefttackle

:thumbs: Dunk!-Don't push it harder! Just move the Forked thingy a little forward before you push it up-not over the release pin-over the cross bar. :thumbs: I'm sure it will work-AL

dunk50

OK, I pulled it into the garage this morning (from the barn) The first thing I did was take the front mule / pulley system back off. When I did that the crossbar and Y fork all fell right into place. I then put the front pulley system back on and all is good. It really goes together easy when you do it right. i down loaded the instructions and it clearly says to hook deck up and then install that pulley system. I did not see what was preventing it from connecting but it was. Oh well, lesson learned. Thanks to all those that helped. :thumbs:

C-Series14

Glad ya got it. I don't see where the front mule drive has anything to do with it either. During mowing season, I pull the deck off all the time to clean the grass out of the deck and I leave the mule drive on. I do loosen the deck belt tension before I remove the deck...

T-Mo

I'm glad you got er' done. I will be putting on a deck onto one of my C's soon so I'm sure I may doing a little of this: :thumbs: But, I have a 314-8 here with the deck still on, so I'm sure I can use that as a guide. :thumbs:

MaineDad

I too spent hours on my first attempt to reattach my 42" RD deck. Now that I know what I am doing, it literally takes me about 4 or 5 minutes.

I also leave the mule drive on when I clean my deck during the summer. I just guide the fork up into place with my left hand while I pull up on the lift lever with my right hand. My first GT was a 2005 Sears GT 5000 and it was the biggest PIA to take the deck on and off. That experience has really made me appreciate my WH!