Sign in to follow this  
fireman

Transmission fluid drain plug problem

fireman

The drain plug on my C-195 won't budge. On top of that the hex is rounded and an allan key won't bite anymore. Anyone have any ideas? I am thinking drill through it, drain the fluid, then heat it up and use an easy out.

:) :USA:

whdave

:) Weld a 1/2" nut to it and back it out. Just fill the center with the weld. A simple and effective fix that guarantees no metal shavings getting up in the transmission.

• Like 1

fireman

I was just looking through my tool box a little while ago and saw some of my torx bits. Now that you mentioned that i'm gonna see if I have the right size and give that a whirl.

wh79d160

Don't know if you got it out yet, but I had the same problem 2 yrs ago. Ended up beating a t-45 or t-50 torx in it and it worked perfectly. I just put a hex plug back in. :)

Suburban 550

Jeff, either one, driving a torx into it or welding a nut on it will probably work out for you. Good Luck. :)

stevebo

Jeff,

You may be able to extract the fluid through the fill tube much like you do in an inboard boat. I use a suction pump but you may need to heat up that fluid to get it out. If all else fails you can sell it to me and I will figure it out :)

Butch

What about some heat on the case/pan so you won't need as much torque to back it out?

fireman

Steve that isn't gonna happen any time soon!

Butch, I tried heat before it stripped out. Still no luck.

wheel horse man

hope this helps i had the plug on my commando strip out the plug but there was enought of the plug sticking out that i put a set of visegrips on it and it came right out mabey if there is enoght room on yours sticking out you could use visegrips> :)

pumper.atv

welding a nut on has saved me before when an easy out failed on that plug

VinsRJ

Jeff, I would say your best bet is to weld a nut to the plug. Just make sure you've got good penetration into the plug because if the nut comes off without the plug, you've got a bigger mess on your hands.

wh79d160
IM015951.jpg Look , no welding needed. I did try with the vise grips before using the T-45 torx, but it wouldn't hold. :)

fireman

Thanks for all the tips and advise guys. I will try the T-45 this weekend. If that doesn't work I'll move to the next step and try the easy out.

Coadster32

I'd go with the welded nut. I've seen it work well in the past. The torx idea is pretty nifty also. I'm sure you'll get it. :)

fireman

Not sure if my little 110 volt welder will penetrate enough. May have to go see "Tommy One Weld" !

jimbotelho

Jeff your welder should work just fine :)

stevasaurus

Jeff...the suspense is killing me...I just gotta know what worked. :):USA::)

I've always been an easy-out kind of guy...the TORX bits are new to me...have to check them out. :wh:

wh79d160

I'd weld it. :)

fireman

Had a few minutes tonight and tried three different types of vise grips including a very small pipe wrench. No luck :) . I think I will try to weld a nut on tomorrow. Lets hope I can get enough penetration.

PPGman

My vote is on welding a nut to it. The Torx sounds like a good idea as well. As for the easy out, i have a love/hate relationship with them. They work great right up to the point when you break one leaving the other half in the hole. :)

fireman

Well I decided to go with welding the nut on. I figured the $79.00 Harbor Freight Flux-core only welder wouldn't handle the job as I have not had great luck with it in the past. SO I decided to upgrade. My local Tractor Supply was hosting a Hobart Demo Day and the factory rep was there. After spending an hour with the rep and trying out various welders, I decided to go with the Handler187. Not only was it $50 off but he through in a cool little pony CO2 bottle w/fixed flow regulator and a auto darkening helmet. It also came with the standard regulator etc. This should handle just about any job that I'm ever gonna need welded! I'm away camping for the Labor Day weekend but you can bet as soon as I get back that nuts getting welded on and that damn drain plug is coming out :)

handler187.jpg

770626-CO2-Cylinder-Kit.jpg

770663.jpg

Uncle BO

Jeff now your talking welding :) :USA:

fireman

Yeah Bo I had to bite the bullet and do it. Now I'll put the other one on Craigs List and sell it.

htopjimmy26

If you end up going the drill route consider left hand bits or reverse drill bits as sometimes they can remove the plug before it penetrates negating any shaving cleanup. Good luck. :)