Duff

Restoring a 37" side discharge deck

DMESS

I saw it, but I'll stay clear! Mine's good for awhile.

T-Mo

Hi, T-MO!

Have you got your chute hinged somehow? Mine direct-bolts to the deck. I'd dearly love to have the swing up feature if its available?

Thanks!

Deereman :whistle:

Deereman,

My chute on my 48 side discharge deck can pivot up out of the way. I just bungee cord it then to keep it up. Here's the parts diagram for it:

48inchdeckparts.jpg

You notice there is a spring loaded pin on the back side of the chute. I can pivot mine there. I didn't know this wasn't possible on some decks.

DMESS

37" SD does not pivot. Bolt's on and is usually removed and lost!

T-Mo

37" SD does not pivot. Bolt's on and is usually removed and lost!

So there we have it. I don't have a 37 SD deck, just a 48 SD and a 42 SD (missing the chute). :whistle:

mcwh1950

deereman i got a spare one to. remeber new only 41.00 from toro web.plus shiping

TT

My 312A / 37" deck had the bagger on it when I first bought it. (used)

I hated the bagger and removed it immediately after the first use, replacing the tube with the chute extension. (it was actually included with the deal!)

The next time I used it to mow, I made about three passes and the grass kept windrowing at the end of the chute. :whistle:

The chute extension came off (and stayed off) until I finally found a 42" SD deck for the 312. I put the 37" deck on a GT-1100 WorkHorse and sold it, but I can't remember if I put the chute extension on to sell it. I'll have to look around - maybe it's still here. :WRS:

Duff

The next time I used it to mow, I made about three passes and the grass kept windrowing at the end of the chute.....

The chute extension came off (and stayed off) ......

Hi, TT!

So far I haven't had the windrowing problem (but I mow fairly often - more to play with the WH than really giving a hoot about the appearance of the lawn! :WRS: ). I did notice when I took the deck apart to restore it that the chute was "remarkably" less dinged and worn than the rest of the unit - still had some original paint on the inner surfaces! I suspect the PO (who was the original owner) had it off for most of its life but had the good sense to put it back on when his ex threw him out so it wouldn't get lost - even though she got the tractor, the house....but that's another whole story. Anyway, from the way he maintained the machine I think he was pretty fond of it and wanted it to go intact to a good home some day. It has!

Duff

OK, guys, the new kid has another dumb question! B)

Is it normal for a mule drive to loosen up during operation? By loosen up, I mean release the amount of tension it is holding on the belt. I mowed for about an hour today and suddenly the deck quit - only a slight shudder a minute or so before it quit, but I was on rough ground at the time and didn't think anything of it. Then it just stopped spinning. When I shut down and got off, I found the belt had jumped off one of the idlers on the deck - no damage, just popped off and quit spinning. I checked the spindles - only slightly warm to the touch and spinning freely, and both idlers - same - so I'm guessing a bearing didn't lock up (and they are all new anyway, and properly greased). When I rebuilt the mule drive I replaced the thrust washer and the spring washer, and cleaned and lubed things very thoroughly. Maybe I should not have lubed the threaded tensioner rod? B)

Thoughts, gents?

Thanks!

Steve_O

Oregon 96-803 (Gator blade) fits a 05-37SC01 37" SD deck after drilling mount hole from 5/8 to 3/4.   ~$15 ea from zoro.
https://www.zoro.com/oregon-gator-g3-blade-18-34-l-225-w-96-803/i/G9200272/
(I recognize this is a thread from 2008, but someone might find this useful. I searched a bit without a clear answer before trying the 96-803)