Duff

Restoring a 37" side discharge deck

DMESS

WHICH style bagger? Just might be interested!

TT

This one:

bagger.jpg

DMESS

TT, is it complete? Mounting brackets etc?

maybe I can coax Eldon to bring it back when he comes up for the NAMA show?

TT

I'll have to dig it out and check, but it should all be there - including the mounting brackets. (The RH blade with the bolt-on "boosters" was gone long ago though.)

dgjks6

just wondering what the deck looks like now?

T-Mo

That's a good question. I also would like to see the "after" pictures. :whistle:

Duff

Not sure which post on this thread you're referring to, but if it's about the 37" SD we started out with, I'll take some photos tonight and post them!

I was going to mount the deck on the tractor and test mow last night but when I was pulling it out of the shop I realized I never applied anything to the underside of the deck to protect the bare metal after my buddy sand blasted it. I was having too much fun prettying up the shiny side, so to speak. :WRS:

So in the interest of time I'm trying an old trick I've used with much success on my green tractors, the decks of which are both in awfully good shape (the STX is 12 years old and still solid). I slathered clean bar and chain oil on the metal and am letting it sit in the sun for the day. I'll wipe off any excess then hang it under the tractor, hopefully tonight, and see how this whole set-up works! I usually pressure wash and repeat this process in the fall when I put the decks away fror the season, then apply a light coat of oil again in the spring just before I start mowing. May not be an ideal solution, but it's cheap and has worked pretty darned well so far! :D I dom the same thing to my push mower and that deck at 8 years old looks brand new. I also hose off the underside of the decks after each mowing.

Deereman :whistle:

T-Mo

I'm looking forward to the pictures. :whistle:

dgjks6

Yep, it is the 37 onch deck shown bare in the pictures above.

I have the underside of my deck spotless right now. I may try the oil thing tonight

Duff

Yep, it is the 37 onch deck shown bare in the pictures above.

I have the underside of my deck spotless right now. I may try the oil thing tonight

If you've got some, I recommend bar and chain oil. The stuff is extra sticky and seems to last through several washinhgs while still protecting the metal.

Here's how my deck came out:

Mowerdeckfinished001-1-1.jpg

Mowerdeckfinished002-1-1.jpg

I've got the chute but just haven't put it on yet......

Cheers!

dgjks6

thats a beaut - now I want to do that

I leave the chute off mine - if I have it on it does not disperse the clippings as well and I have to rake.

Without it on, no raking

Duff

thats a beaut - now I want to do that

I leave the chute off mine - if I have it on it does not disperse the clippings as well and I have to rake.

Without it on, no raking

Thanks, Greg!

Aahhh - I hadn't thought about the windrowing effect - good tip - also thanks! I had thought about leaving the chute off simply because I don't need something extra hanging out the side if I get distracted by one of the many [female :WRS: ] joggers who go by my house and I happen to drift too close to one of the trees in my yard or my wife's flower beds :D !

T-Mo

The deck looks awesome. Nice. As for leaving the chute off, I have mine on, but I have tied up out of the way - mainly to get in and out of the shed door. :whistle:

Duff

Hi, folks!

Got the deck mounted and took it for its first test mow this afternoon. I need to adjust the front-to-back level (to get the front 1/4" lower than the back), and the main lift linkage to get the deck bumpers up to touching the footrests when at full lift, but otherwise it was an awesome experience! :D:dunno::D

Thanks for the advice and encouragement along the way! :WRS:

Now it's time to turn my attention to that belly-mounted grader blade I've been tinkering with.....:whistle:

Deereman :D

Rollerman

I have one I need to dig out & fix up for this fall.

I plan on useing it with my PeCo lawn vac for leaves.

I figure the 37" doesn't set out so far away from the tractor...with the collector from the vac on a 42" or 48" deck it makes things pretty wide.

I figure that 37" would be a hot setup for it.

Going to have to do some hammering though...it was on my dads 310 & not sure what he hit's when he mows...water valves...manholes.... :whistle:

Duff

The deck looks awesome. Nice. As for leaving the chute off, I have mine on, but I have tied up out of the way - mainly to get in and out of the shed door. :WRS:

Hi, T-MO!

Have you got your chute hinged somehow? Mine direct-bolts to the deck. I'd dearly love to have the swing up feature if its available?

Thanks!

Stigian

Nice job on the cutting deck Deereman :whistle:

If you ever fancy a working holiday in the UK, the deck on my Raider could do with a lick of paint :WRS:

KyBlue

Turned out great!!

bustedglass

Hi Deereman,

The deck turned out GREAT :whistle: !!! As far as the hinge goes, I put a piano hinge on mine, so it would swing up, and over. Just my .02 cents .............

TT

And guess what just showed up on ebay........

One of those fancy 6-sided P/N 111178 belts. (starting @ $15.00 :whistle: )

SEE IT HERE!

KyBlue

Wow!

HorseFixer

Nice Job Deereman :whistle: Looks great! :WRS:

Duke

Duff

And guess what just showed up on ebay........

One of those fancy 6-sided P/N 111178 belts. (starting @ $15.00 :whistle: )

Thanks, TT! Just made a bid.....never hurts to have a spare around just in case!

Deereman :WRS:

Duff

Hi Deereman,

The deck turned out GREAT :WRS: !!! As far as the hinge goes, I put a piano hinge on mine, so it would swing up, and over. Just my .02 cents .............

Hi, Mike!

Piano hinge- great idea! Time to do some more tinkerin' I reckon!

Thanks!

TT

That's what I was thinking......

now we have to make sure "DMESS" Dustin knows not to bid. :whistle: