Duff

Restoring a 37" side discharge deck

Duff

Hi, gents,

I'm now restoring the 37" SD mower deck for my '89 312-8 but don't have any parts diagrams or exploded drawings. This time I had the good sense to take several pictures as I was tearing it down, so I'm not too worried about getting it back together right. :D

What I need some help with is where to locate replacement part numbers, specifically the idler pulleys, spindle drive pulleys (badly rusted and I'm afraid they'll tear the belt up). and where to find the right Gator blades (and which ones to order) as the factory blades that are on the deck are pretty well worn out.

The spindles run smooth and fairly quiet so no worries there, although I am having one h*ll of a time trying to get the blades off (suggestions welcomed!). :thumbs:

Oh- the numbers from the deck are: ID#05375C01 10357 8209

Thanks much, guys! :thumbs:

Deerman72, still in mud season here in NH!

Duff

Thanks, Mike! That's exactly what I needed! :thumbs:

bustedglass

Hi Deereman, I have the same 37" deck that you have. I have mine on a 1985 B 211-3 tractor. After a LOT of research, and computer time, I found out that there is NOT a Gator Blade made for this deck, and there is none that is adaptable. I know what you are feeling right now :thumbs::thumbs::D. That is what I wanted to do after all the time spent. But,,, there is a mulching blade that can be made to fit this deck. It is a Snapper 19" Ninja blade, Part # 27436T ( you will need two (2) of these blades for your deck ). NOTE : You will have to drill out the center hole on the Ninja blades to 3/4" to make them fit your deck. This is the first year for my Ninja blades, and I have only been able to cut the grass once because of all the rain here, but I was really impressed with the way the Ninjas' cut. So all I can say is, go to your nearest Snapper dealer, get your Ninjas', and knock yourself out...

bustedglass

Deereman, in my last post, I told you to drill out the center hole on the Ninja blades to 3/4". I was presuming the center hole on your original blades is 3/4", because that is what mine is. Make sure you measure your original blades center hole before drilling :thumbs: . Sorry I did'nt say this in my original post :imstupid: on my part.

Duff

Thanks much, Mike - and not at all stupid! :thumbs:

Discovered a minor problem with my deck as I was restoring it. Apparently the previous owner tied into something and stressed the right-hand lift point, cracking both welds that hold it to the deck. Fortunately I've got a buddy who gets his jollies welding, and the tougher the project the happier he is, so I should be back in business soon!

By the way, does anyone out there know what possessed WH to make a 37" deck in the first place? Seems everyone else in the industry stuck with even numbers and usually multiples of 6". Just curious! :thumbs:

Cheers!

Deereman

bustedglass

Hi Deereman, I was thinking the same thing with regards to the 37" deck. I guess the answer to that is lost with the passing of Wheel Horse, if no one on this site can answer. And, if no one on this site can answer, it can't be answered, 'cause these guys are the best :thumbs: .

Enough of my rambeling. Heads up on your restore - a lot of the parts for this deck have gone obsolete, no longer available from the manufacturer. So unless tour local Toro dealer has an abundance of old Wheel Horse parts, you will be S.O.L. for parts. I needed a blade pulley for mine, and it took months to find one. Good thing I had all winter to come up with one.

Anyway, good luck with your restore, and keep us posted. And rember :thumbs: .

Duff

Hi, Mike,

I hope I'm not breaking any posting rules, but I've found an excellent parts supplier for my Horse - Jack's Small Engines in Maryland. URL is http://www.jackssmallengines.com/searchdb2.cfm.

When I was restoring my 312-8 they had every single part I needed, and being as anal as I am, I replaced just about every moving or wearable item on the tractor.

For the deck, I went back to the Toro parts viewer, got the part numbers for the deck parts I need and although I haven't ordered them yet, I ran the numbers on Jack's parts database. Everything I need is available. :thumbs: If Jack's can't supply a part they either list it as discontinued or it won't come up with a result when you enter it into the search. Their prices are very fair and their service so far has been terrific, with only one backordered part out of about 50 I've ordered so far. Even the backordered item showed up three days later.

Hope this helps! :thumbs:

Cheers!

Deereman

DMESS

Thanks much, Mike - and not at all stupid! :thumbs:

Discovered a minor problem with my deck as I was restoring it. Apparently the previous owner tied into something and stressed the right-hand lift point, cracking both welds that hold it to the deck. Fortunately I've got a buddy who gets his jollies welding, and the tougher the project the happier he is, so I should be back in business soon!

By the way, does anyone out there know what possessed WH to make a 37" deck in the first place? Seems everyone else in the industry stuck with even numbers and usually multiples of 6". Just curious! :thumbs:

Cheers!

Deereman

This is a weak point on these particular decks. Very common. It is, however, a FABULOUS cutting deck when setup right. Sorry, but I have no idea how they settled on this particular size! I have one on my 310-8 with an Easy Twin bagger and LOVE it. The belt routing is a little humorous, but it works great.

T-Mo

Hi, Mike,

I hope I'm not breaking any posting rules, but I've found an excellent parts supplier for my Horse - Jack's Small Engines in Maryland. URL is http://www.jackssmallengines.com/searchdb2.cfm.

When I was restoring my 312-8 they had every single part I needed, and being as anal as I am, I replaced just about every moving or wearable item on the tractor.

For the deck, I went back to the Toro parts viewer, got the part numbers for the deck parts I need and although I haven't ordered them yet, I ran the numbers on Jack's parts database. Everything I need is available. :thumbs: If Jack's can't supply a part they either list it as discontinued or it won't come up with a result when you enter it into the search. Their prices are very fair and their service so far has been terrific, with only one backordered part out of about 50 I've ordered so far. Even the backordered item showed up three days later.

Hope this helps! :thumbs:

Cheers!

Deereman

Don't worry, no rules broken. Jacks Small engine might be already in the links section - if not, then maybe Karl will add it.

Duff

Heads up on your restore - a lot of the parts for this deck have gone obsolete, no longer available from the manufacturer. So unless tour local Toro dealer has an abundance of old Wheel Horse parts, you will be S.O.L. for parts. I needed a blade pulley for mine, and it took months to find one. Good thing I had all winter to come up with one.

Hey, Kaintuckee Mike, if you're out there!

Just got a shipment of parts from Jack's for my 37" deck - they had everything in stock from soup to nuts. :whistle: So if you get in a jam or something breaks, give 'em a try!

Happy spring! :WRS:

Deereman

bustedglass

Hey Deereman - Thanks for the heads up on the parts from Jacks' :WRS: . I will be sure to go there (they are now on my favorites list), when I need something :whistle: .

Duff

I am having one h*ll of a time trying to get the blades off (suggestions welcomed!). :WRS:

Hey, guys,

I think we can all appreciate the humor in this: I asked my buddy who loves to weld and is fixing my 37" deck where a lift point had snapped if he could get the blades off the deck for me while he was at it. I sure hadn't had any luck. "Sure", he says, "No problem!". "Yeah, right!" I thought to myself. :D

This morning he brought my blades back to me (still in good shape...). He told me he had had to lift the entire deck over his head so he could watch where things were going as he set it down onto his bench vise, gripping one blade at a time in the vise. Then he went after the blade nuts with a very large socket wrench and a breaker bar with an added handle extension (all of this after three days soaking with penetrating oil, mind you). After much cussin' :D and actually bending the extension handle :dunno: , he got the nuts to come off.

The things we do (or put our friends through) for our Horses! :whistle:

Deereman

(Oh - neither I nor he has an air impact wrench, which would probably have made the whole process simpler - maybe.....)

linen beige

Deereman, i have had good luck using a fiberglass reinforced cut off wheel in a dremel tool. I cut a slot in the nut along the length of the nut, right down to where the threads start, then try prying the nut open with a screwdriver. When that doesn't work, cut another slot an eigth inch or so along side it. A couple light taps with a small cold chisel against the side of the slot furthest from you most always works. On some I've had to use to chisel to work the small strip between the slots loose then break the nut off. Works kinda like the "nutcrackers" used in muffler shops. Just be sure that you have a proper replacement nut on hand before you do this. If you try it and find that you have nicked the threads on the shaft, chase them with a die and you're all set. 'Course nothing beats a good torch when the heat won't damage the parts close to it.

WheelHorse_of_course

Generally if you put the breaker bar on and then wack the bar with a hammer you can get things loose. I different type of impact tool to be sure, but it does work.

I remember using this technique on a big 6 foot Brush Hog center bar. We did not have a wrench that would fit except for a huge adjustable wrench I had that was ironically made by "elephant brand".

Hitting that giant wrench with a hammer did the trick!

Duff

Two quick questions, fellas:

1) Where can I download the instructions for adjusting a 37" deck to mow properly? :whistle: I'm most of the way through the restoration and want to set it up correctly. Any help will be greatly appreciated as always! (Pictures to follow!)

2) I've seen this somewhere on the forum before but can't find it right now: what's the correct weight of oil and how much do I need for a 312-8 tranny?

Thanks, folks!

Deereman

...in sunny, West Lebanon, NH! :WRS:

TT

Two quick questions, fellas:

1) Where can I download the instructions for adjusting a 37" deck to mow properly? :whistle: I'm most of the way through the restoration and want to set it up correctly. Any help will be greatly appreciated as always! (Pictures to follow!)

2) I've seen this somewhere on the forum before but can't find it right now: what's the correct weight of oil and how much do I need for a 312-8 tranny?

Thanks, folks!

Deereman

...in sunny, West Lebanon, NH! :WRS:

Deck adjustment instructions are HERE.

The transmission oil topic can sometimes get as ugly as the engine oil topic, but the recommended oil is "SAE 90 API Service GL-5" gear oil. I have heard of anything from ATF being used in puller transmissions (less drag) to 10W-40 motor oil, to multi-weight gear oil. (like 85W-140) Capacity is 2 quarts.

DMESS

Deereman, this deck mows like a dream if you set it up right. I'm very pleased with the cut I get from mine. Just watch catching the front edge of the shell on things cause' it tends to be easily pushed right into the blades. :whistle: The front to rear AND side to side leveling adjustment is a nice feature.

Duff

TT, you are the best! If you ever get to NH, I owe you a tall, cold one! :whistle:

Dustin, thanks for the tip - Ill watch for obstacles. I owe you a cold, tall one, too! Also, if you recall earlier in this post we talked about the broken weld on the lift point. My buddy with the welder repaired and reinforced it, then he did me a huge favor and surprised me by sandblasting the whole deck. Saved me HOURS of sanding. If the weather holds, I hope to get some paint on it this weekend and then - dare I say it - MOW!!!! :WRS:

Thanks again, guys!

Deereman

Here's what I started with......

Wheelhorsedeckbeforerestoration0-2.jpg

And where I'm at right now......BTW, the metal is all solid as a rock!

Wheelhorsedeckafterstripping005--1.jpg

TT

Looking great, Deereman! :whistle:

I had the exact same deck (with the bagger) on my 1986 312A. As Dustin said, watch the area in front of the left blade. I got good at working it back into shape with a 4lb hammer! :D (now you also should know why the weld was broken on the lift bracket. :D )

If you can get your "welder pal" to attach some 1/2" round stock along the outside of the lower edge for reinforcement, now would be a good time. (like the newer "big" decks.)

Don't worry about buying me a cold one either -- save your money for that 6-sided bastard P/N 111178 deck belt that's almost $40! (I appreciate the offer though! :WRS: )

Duff

save your money for that 6-sided bastard P/N 111178 deck belt that's almost $40!

Yeah, already got one of those and cried VERY loudly. :whistle: Can't say I've ever seen a belt like it on anything else I've ever owned, worked on or even looked at, so I'm glad they're still available. Other parts I've ordered were far more reasonable for what they are- well, most of 'em, anyway.

Deereman

nylyon

You got that deck stripped down pretty good, it doesn't look sand blasted, what did you use old fashioned sanding?

DMESS

Looking great, Deereman! :WRS:

I had the exact same deck (with the bagger) on my 1986 312A. As Dustin said, watch the area in front of the left blade. I got good at working it back into shape with a 4lb hammer! :D (now you also should know why the weld was broken on the lift bracket. :dunno: )

If you can get your "welder pal" to attach some 1/2" round stock along the outside of the lower edge for reinforcement, now would be a good time. (like the newer "big" decks.)

Don't worry about buying me a cold one either -- save your money for that 6-sided bastard P/N 111178 deck belt that's almost $40! (I appreciate the offer though! :D )

LOL, TT. You know exactly what I'm talking about. I've seen some pretty chewed up from pushing the front corner right into the blade. "Hey, what's that noise? Oh heck, It'll go away". :whistle:

It certainly is an odd design compared to the traditional WH decks, but it's a great cutter and pretty awesome for bagging. Yes, the wacko belt and $70 blade set (bagging) make for an expensive "tune up" on this one.

Good call on the reinforcement rod. I can still get the blades to "touch" on mine from time to time. The shell is awfull thin on these things and tends to flex a bit.

Duff

Hi, Karl!

Hmmm.... my friend said he sandblasted most of it then touched up a few areas with a wire wheel. Maybe he did it the other way around - wire wheeled most of it and sandblasted the nooks and crannies. I might have misunderstood him. I touched a couple of areas with an orbital sander that still had some paint , but what you see is pretty much the way it came back to me. I've wiped it down completely with acetone because the sandblaster left some sort of film or residue in places. (I've never used a sandblaster so I don't know what if any carrier or agent may be mixed in with the sand.) Since I wiped it down it may be a little shinier than most. Dunno what else to tell ya!

Top o' the day to you!

Deereman

TT

If I would have kept mine much longer, I was going to add a second roller to the shell. (in front of the left blade) It would have been much easier than cutting down a big maple tree and digging out all of the roots. :whistle:

I bought a pair of GT-1100 WorkHorse tractors and ended up using one of the 42" SD decks on my 312A. :WRS: (The 37" deck was on the one GT when I sold it. :D )

And I was just thinking.... all of the bagger stuff is still upstairs in the shop. If anyone wants it they can have it for free. You just need to come and get it. :D