Sign in to follow this  
papaglide

GT 14 wont start or turnover

papaglide

Well I have searched the posts and I couldn't find anything that I thought covered my predicament:

I went to start the tractor and when I turned the key I heard one click and then nothing. The engine doesn't even turn over. (Its been re-powered by the PO with a Kohler 12hp with a starter generator.)

I have cleaned all the connections.

I had the battery checked and its fully charged.

I tried to jump the solenoid.

I ran a lead from the + post on the battery to the starter.

Installed a new key switch looking for a minor miracle.

I have no clue where to go next.

:wh::) :USA:

Save Old Iron

I ran a lead from the + post on the battery to the starter.

then I would look for a bad ground connection to the engine block / starter mount or a bad starter.

run a 2nd jumper cable to the starter mounting bolts to the battery ground, then from the battery + to the starter - if nothing happens, its the starter

or your jumper cables.

or your engine is seized.

I would recommend measuring the battery voltage while your trying to crank the starter. If it drops down below 8 or 9 volts, the battery is questionable. Don't count on just measuring the battery VOLTAGE to tell you the battery can hold a charge.

papaglide

Thanks Chuck for your advice. Thru the course of today I will try out your ideas and will report back with my findings.

The engine will turn and I can hear compression when I turn it by hand so I guess that that is a good thing.

thanks again! :)

rustynut

hook jumper cables to your truck battery.. then put the posotive cable on thee starter post and the put the neg jump cable somewhere grounded to the frame or a engine bolt

papaglide

Well tried the above test and lo and behold I am now on the hunt for a new/old but good starter........more money to burn. :) :USA: