Sign in to follow this  
dusted800

no spark

dusted800

Picked up a 88 wheelhorse 518H with the onan motor. Motor turns over fine but didn't have any spark. I cranked it for 10 seconds or so and it started sparking but stopped almost immediately and now it doesn't have any spark again. I pulled the cover and the flywheel(to clean the grass from the mice) and expected to find the wires chewed but they weren't . actually the stator and flywheel looked very good. Does anyone know how to test the coil and stator. I put a jumper wire directly from the battery to the + side of the coil to eliminate any possible problems with the safety items that maybe on this machine. do these onans have any common problems? Any suggestions on what to check would be great? thanx. wnk.

W9JAB

ch you points, in the little can

may be stuck or mucked up :)

dusted800

motor doesn't have points

racinfool40

had same problem jumped as you did with wire to positive side of coil would run 4 a few min. then stop. In my case was coil put new one on and has run fine since about a year ago. and the coil was 139.95 thru my local toro dealer Good luck!!!!

and keep us posted I have a 518-h also so if yours is different we know what to look out for. :)

Buzz

I don't know squat about Onans but you can download an engine manual from Toro. Page 8.1 tells how to test for spark. Go to:

https://lookup3.toro.com/request/request.cfm

Put 31-18OE01 for model # and "none" for serial number. Good luck.

dusted800

thanx buzz, thats exactly what I was looking for wnk.

dusted800

went through the test procedures and found it had a bad coil, no continuity between spark plug wire holes. thanx for everyones help. wnk.