Sign in to follow this  
Gerry w

1047 deck pulley??

Gerry w

Hello all! I am the new owner of Pat's creation, the 1047 which is a parts is parts tractor. And Pat had installed a newer type bell PTO on it, which started my issue. The deck is a stock deck with a stock center pulley, which, because of the new PTO, over spins the deck. Could someone keep an eye out for the big pulley that mounted on the deck that the early (late 60ies) long frame tractors used with the later style bell PTO clutch & bevel gear type decks? Or if you have one for sale??

It's a great tractor and I'm just stoked to own it, I just don't want to damage it mowing! It has a two blade rear discharge deck on it now.

Thanks in advance! :thumbs:

Gerry

fritz

I think I have what you are looking for message me if you are interested. Thank you

devin

jusjeepn

Gerry, That pulley system was designed and built to be used at just over half throttle. I tried several combinations before I finally decided to just keep it the way you have it now. I have the oversize pulley your looking for and it interferes with the steering (rubs all the time) and cannot be used. The only thing I didn't try was oversizing the pulley on the deck itself. If I remember correctly, there is very limited space for doing this though.

Another option I considered was custom cutting the spindles to have the tie rods shifted forward a bit but a complete redesign of the stock steering would have to be done.

When I built this machine, my goal was to make a functional head scratcher (if that makes sense). Didn't really intend to use it for anything other than tooling around shows. If you intend to work it, than you may consider outfitting it with a 36" deck and a bolt on mule drive system such as the old Raiders used or a bolt on attach-a-matic. The Raider style would fit the era of the tractor better but the attach-a-matic would be more user friendly! You will also have to put some smaller (narrower) rear tires on it for deck clearance such as a 22x8.50x12 or even some 6x12's. It can be done and I have all the parts you need here!

The oil leak you spoke of: Could you shoot me a picture of the area? I think it's the custom built vacuum adapter for the fuel pump. If it is, just buy a fuel pump gasket or some gasket material and make your own!

Gerry w

Thanks Pat,

I was running it at 1/2 throttle and it did great, but then I was told that's bad for the motor, less oil getting splashed around. Is that true? I'm going to use it for mowing the semi-flat lawn around the house,(and possibly shows) and that lawn is maybe 100ft by 70ft. Would running it at 1/2 throttle be bad for that size?

All my rigs are workers, the 1047 will free up the raider for other jobs, dirty jobs, while I get to keep the 1047 clean and easy labor. Plus it's a KICK to drive!

The piece I'm talking about is a small black plastic square that has three hoses running to it. I noticed in your build pics you had a sliver metal piece there instead. It has seemed to mellow out now as the new gas, oil, etc. has made a difference in how it's running.

Thanks again!

Gerry

jusjeepn

Well I'm not sure who told you that, but they must not be familiar with the HH100 or any other internal combustion engine for that matter. As long as the crank is turning, there is lubrication going on somewhere in all engines irregardless if they have an oil pump or not. Reciprocation is what does the oiling whether it be from driving a pump or slinging the oil around. Anyway.... If if it were hydro then it would be a different story. They require a certain RPM to perform at optimum levels.

You will not hurt it running at half throttle. I strongly recommend you do not mow with it at full throttle. I don't think Cecil designed the deck gears to withstand 4k+ rpms. I think you will find at full throttle it's also hard to keep the front wheels on the ground even with the deck on!

The black box your referring to is the fuel pump. If your getting an oil leak from the pump then the oil level may be overfull. The silver box you see in the other pictures is the original that I rebuilt twice before I gave up on it.

Gerry w

Thanks again Pat,

It IS a speedy rig! :wh: I mowed with it at 1/2 throttle and it did great, so I'm with you, I think you built an amazing tractor and I'm very happy with it. I'll just keep an eye on the deck and make sure I keep it lubed really good, recommendations on the grease? I use the red stuff, it's supposed to be the best.

I love this rig, the size is perfect, it handles like a dream, and I've already had over a dozen folks stop and comment on it! Pat, when ya going to build another one?? :)

Thanks again for all your help,

Gerry :USA:

jusjeepn

The "red" grease is fine. Running it this way will not put anymore wear and tear on it than what it was originally designed for.

I am currently building another custom creation from my parts pile. This is my third that I have built from just extra parts lying around. Lately I find myself looking for more parts tractors than for runners.