Sign in to follow this  
bambooheels

854 uni drive

bambooheels

restoing a 854 with uni drive, noticed 2 smal ball bearins and a spring that is located where the trany bolts up into the frame, if i put back in will it just drop into the tranny and what holds these items in? thanks.

Attached Image

post-3-1207355918.jpg

T-Mo

I don't have the answer but I'm sure the smarter ones here will have. But, I just wanted to chime in and also bump this up with a :thumbs: . And as always :thumbs:

TT

I'm guessing that you have found the shift rail detent balls and spring. (there should be a small pin too.)

These are supposed to be located BETWEEN the shift rails inside the transmission, and are the parts that "lock" the shift forks in place when placing the transmission in a gear.

If the shifter won't stay in the selected gear and doesn't have a positive "snap" to it when moving it through the gears, then I'd say the rail is broken and these parts have found their way back out of the installation hole on the front of the case.

Have you ever driven this tractor before, and/or did the transmission previously work OK?

BTW, :thumbs:

BPjunk

Ok Here's what ya' gonna have to do .........

1) Have the left side of the transmission case mounted in a vise with axle housing pointed down.

2) Remove the right case half.

3) Remove the main shaft assembley and Hi/2nd and LO/reverse gears.

4) Now pull the LO/reverse shift rail.

5) Nowwwww the tricky part, use a 1/4 inch dowel/punch with a small dab of grease on the end and install the first detent ball. Make sure you have the Hi/2nd shift rail in the correct position to accept the ball into the detent.

6) Install the spring and pin.

7) Now the FUN PART use the 1/4 inch punch with grease to hold the second ball bearing in place and push the second ball in agaist the spring. Are you ready now? push the Lo/reverse shift rail down and when the shift rail touches the 1/4 inch punch S L O W L Y remove the punch. Now this may take a few times and it also helps if the punch has a chamfered edge on the end, some times I use a #2 Phillips screw driver.

Good Luck

Bill in Richmond, Va.

pond195520032003

I would also like to say :P and as stated :D used the advice Terry, and Bill gave you and you should be on your way to driving around again :D if you can figure it out you can just drop it off here and get it out of your way :thumbs: :thumbs: