Sign in to follow this  
golfmike304

Noob wheel horse owner

golfmike304

Hello Red Square members. I am a new (noob) wheel horse owner. I just purchased an SB-421, not in the greatest shape but still a solid tractor.

From what I have seen of this site I think it will be a great source of information on anything wheel horse. Thanks for this site and keeping it free.

Here is the tractor I just purchased for 450.

Roger from southern Iowa

:thumbs: Glad you joined us!!

rmaynard

:thumbs:

Glad to have you aboard.

golfmike304

Thanks Roger, I tried to post a pic but I clicked on view post first and must have lost it. LOL

I might try it again. Its not much to look at but am happy with the purchase.

Attached Image

post-72-1280665626.jpg

stoneman

SB-421? :thumbs:

golfmike304

Hello Stoneman,

from what I understand, they only made this for one year. 1984. Its not quite as heavy duty as the others but to me it is enough. I bought it for us to maintain our hunting camp. I know my boys will appreciate it. they won't have to push mow 5 acres. LOL

Mike

stoneman

Hello Stoneman,

from what I understand, they only made this for one year. 1984. Its not quite as heavy duty as the others but to me it is enough. I bought it for us to maintain our hunting camp. I know my boys will appreciate it. they won't have to push mow 5 acres. LOL

Mike

:thumbs: I searched the model list and the picture gallery and found no record of that tractor. Guess you're the first. :D cool

marvairplanes

Mike

:thumbs: I searched the model list and the picture gallery and found no record of that tractor. Guess you're the first. :D cool

Sparky

Mike......

wedgeheaded

Welcome Mike. Hope you have many good years of service.

wedgeheaded

Hello Stoneman,

Mike

I work with golfmike and also have a SB 421 that I converted to Kohler power, my sig pic has my son mowing with it. We both live on the WV side of the OH river. Almost directly across the river from golfmike is Newport, OH. A guy over there has one too. What's the odds? Three guys in a 12 mile radius who all have a one year modle tractor. :D

stoneman

Mike

SB-421

1982 Model

C Series Garden Tractor

8-speed, Briggs

stoneman

Hello Stoneman,

Mike

I work with golfmike and also have a SB 421 that I converted to Kohler power, my sig pic has my son mowing with it. We both live on the WV side of the OH river. Almost directly across the river from golfmike is Newport, OH. A guy over there has one too. What's the odds? Three guys in a 12 mile radius who all have a one year modle tractor. :D

Yeah . . . Especially one so many of us have never seen nor heard tell of! Whod'a thunk it?

JimD

TT

There were three of those "special" models produced in 1982.

SB-371 / SB-421 / SK-486

What's it mean??????

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

S = Special

B = Briggs or K = Kohler

37, 42, and 48 were the cutting widths

1 or 6 = last digit of the horsepower (11 or 16)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The SB-371 was a vertical-shaft lawn tractor and the other two were garden tractors.

Rumor has it that the manufacture of these models was done for two reasons:

First, to have lower-priced units to compete with other manufacturer's models being sold at the time. All three of these models included the mower deck in the purchase price. (a "package deal", so to speak)

Second, to use up the remaining parts of this style, since the WorkHorse LT&GT models began production in 1981/1982 and the B/C __5 models ("black hoods") had already been in production since late 1979.

I'm sure there might be more to it, but that's what I have heard/know about them.

:D , "golfmike304"

It looks like you have found a decent project/worker. :thumbs:

300zx

I have never seen an SB 421, but it looks just like the C111 which also had a Briggs. Welcome to the forum!

golfmike304

Thanks everyone for the input. Wedgeheaded was the main reason I got a wheel horse. He is quite possibly the smartest person I know. You can fill all the people I know in a phone booth. LOL

He is the one that turned me on to Redsquare also. I have really learned a lot in just the two short days I have been on here. I truly think that Wheelhorse people are the smartest people around. :D

Thanks TT, those links did shed a lot of light on the tractor I bought. It is a rare machine, and who would have thunk it that 3 of us in such a small area would own the same tractor.

rickv1957

:thumbs: Rick

wedgeheaded

Thanks everyone for the input. Wedgeheaded was the main reason I got a wheel horse. He is quite possibly the smartest person I know. You can fill all the people I know in a phone booth. LOL

He is the one that turned me on to Redsquare also. I have really learned a lot in just the two short days I have been on here. I truly think that Wheelhorse people are the smartest people around. :D

Thanks TT, those links did shed a lot of light on the tractor I bought. It is a rare machine, and who would have thunk it that 3 of us in such a small area would own the same tractor.

Speaking as one of the two people you know, thanks a lot pal. :D

W9JAB
Matorhorse002-1-1.jpg