Sign in to follow this  
FarmerJim

Delco Start/Gen

FarmerJim

Just brought a K-301 12hp with start/gen back to life and I am breaking everything in slowly however I couldn't keep myself from throwing the tester on the gen to check output. At half throttle I am getting 10-12 volts charge, it fluctuates.

My question to the panel: is output adjustable on these regulators?. Seems like way back in my childhood days my Dad would adjust something under there on his farm tractors. Well,I have slept since then and don't remember much about it :thumbs: Please feel free to "electrify" me.

Save Old Iron

Jimmy, what is the voltage reading at full throttle ? higher ?

As far as the adjustment question, the answer is yes and no.

Most of the newer replacement regulators are preset to approximately 14.something voltage regulation. Older original regulators may have a "set screw" on the voltage relay to adjust the trip point. A VERY SENSITIVE ADJUSTMENT. Newer relays do not have this adjustment screw.

The voltage at which the field current is switched in and out depends on the mechanical and electrical properties of the voltage cutout relay.

The relay control point is "somewhat" adjustable by changing the tension of the relay return spring and the physical distance between the relay points gap. The larger the gap and the harder it is to pull the relay contacts together, the higher the battery voltage will go before the relay closes and cuts the generator output.

Lots of stuff out there on Google about this.

As a side note:

If the regulator contains 3 independent relays, you stand a chance of adjusting the voltage output without screwing up the current sensing function of the regulator.

If there are only 2 relays in the regulator case, most likely the current and voltage sensing is performed by the same relay and adjustment is very tricky and impractical.

FarmerJim

Thank you Chuck for your response!

I am in the break in process and have not run the engine at high rpm yet.

The fact that this old set was charging at all was a blessing in my book :D Will follow up with research like you suggested,however I have found if you really want the right information presented in an understandable manner, you always go to RedSquare first :thumbs: :D