Sign in to follow this  
marshman

commando 8 problems

marshman

After sitting for about a year due to needing a new cylnder head i finaly got my commando 8 running, i changed the oill and after a few momnets if became very hot and is running rough. I think it is the ignition timeing what do you think any ideas how to solve it as my dad cant be bothed to help me :thumbs: :thumbs:

Mith

Might be running too lean. Have you tried resetting the jets on the carb?

I'm not sure the timing is adjustable on these beyond installing the cam shaft a tooth out or something, and in that case you would think it would run rough cold too.

Seeming as you said you just changed the oil, double check the oil level. Could be too full.

Curmudgeon

The ignition is adjustable by changing the point gap. Set it at .020" and you'll be close. A better way is with a circuit tester, which need not be more than the simple light variety.

As Mith said, double check the carb settings, make sure they are where the book says. This includes float height. Fine tune it once it's up and running.

All the appropriate tin shrouding is on correctly I presume? All the fins are clean, air blowing through readily?

Valves adjusted correctly? I'm pretty sure on this model they aren't adjustable after installation, rather they are ground upon assembly to fit.

Dale