Sign in to follow this  
Deepfork

Moving Snow

Deepfork

I am going to get a blade for either my GT-1642 or Honda Rancher 420. :D The ATV is 4wd, the tractor weighs 114 lbs more according to the owners manuals. Looks like getting the tractor set up would be cheaper. Whick one do you think would be better at moving snow? :thumbs:

WheelHorse_of_course

Does ATV have remotely controllable angle? I had the wrong plow for a while and had to get off the tractor to change the angle. Not horrible, but a lot nicer to have the remote ability.

On the new planet it is nearly impossible to accurately predict these things, but what is your guess as to how much snow you will be dealing with? Traction is a consideration with the horses - I assume less so with a 4-wheel drive ATV (presumably with aggressive tires).

Does your horse have a powered lift? I presume the ATV will use a winch.

These factors and more should be considered!

:thumbs:

wheelly

I used a 754 for alot of years. then i got a simplicty blade given to me and i adapted it to my atv for about 10.00 . atv already had the winch. atv is faster but 754 can out push it.

tommybro

I have a grizzly with pretty good stock tires, my neighbor has a c series with turf tires and chains. We take turns plowing the driveways, his is able to push about 8 to 10 inches uphill where the4 grizzly will not.

The nice thing I like about the quad is the winch, my arm would get tired since we need to do a lot of back / fourth, moving the snow to clear spots. He can angle his without getting off, but that has not really been a problem for me.

End result for me is I vote for the quad, faster, easier...

Shuboxlover

I used my GT-1642 for a couple years to push snow....it did a great job as long as there wasn't any HUGE drifts. If I could get a path through the drift, I could chip away at it. I imagine an ATV would have similar issues.

I also put my 42" Snowblower on my GT-1642 and it worked really good, not as good as when I put it on my C-160 :D but it still got through some pretty good sized snow drifts. I can't wait to used my D-160 to dig out drifts :thanks: providing I get the dang steering fixed :thumbs::D

If it were me, I would get the GT-1642 because you can put sooooo many other attachments on it, but the ATV has it's ups too....like taking it hunting, letting the kids/grandkids play on it, etc. etc. etc...

heck, just get both!!!!

rustynut

out in the xountry where i live i always have deep snow and HUGE snow drifts that are as long as the drive... i use my c-120 to push snow i use tires chains and 60lbs a piece wheel weights and i was pushin through snow drifts that were taller than my c-120 and i could barely see over them sittin on the tractor. i would go with usein the tractor.

Gerry w

I use the 20hp D with a blower, chains, weights, and a CAB!! Lot's of lights, I would rather blow the snow where I live and my lonngg driveway then push it and end up with snow banks, which you then have to contend with.

I can get a storm with over 20inches of snow, this rig just plays with it! Blow it and it's GONE!!

rickv1957

I can get a storm with over 20inches of snow, this rig just plays with it! Blow it and it's GONE!!

Like Gerry said,a D tractor and a blower would be hard to beat in the larger snow storms,Rick

dandan111

It seems like those ATVs are always jumping up and down like a wild

horse when plowing.On the other hand you sure can go pretty fast with

one.

Rideawaysenior

I had an Arctic Cat 400 that had a 60in plow on it. At the same time I had a 418-A. Hands down, the Arctic Cat did a better job. I attribute that to the 4x4 being able to track the front end better in the snow. It was all stock no weights or chains. The horse had weights and chains.

wheel horse man

my votes on the horse i think it would make the atv a run for its money Rember you can kill a horse but not a horse with wheels. :thumbs::D:D:thanks: :wh:

Deepfork

Dang look at this!

Click here!

Had not thought of putting a winch on the tractor to move the blade...he even has the same machine I do.

MRM

I had a 2005 Polaris 500 4x4 with a 5' plow it would out plow any tractor.

The WH i plow with is a 8 spd 10hp kokler with ags chains, wheel weights and 120 lbs of lead under the seat and the it will not even come close to what the ATV can do.

wheel horse man

yea whell thats a 500 a big ATV but what would you like more a tractor to ride on or a ATV i love horses more than a ATV thats my opinon.

MRM

Well i sold the ATV but still have the horse, but it was a lot of fun going 20 mph

down the .25 mi driveway pushing 8" of snow.

Cleaverkid

I"ve never been on an ATV to push snow, but I"ve been using my 854 for 20 years to push snow both in Indiana and the Dakota's and so far I've never been stopped yet. All I run is 4 link chains over the original tires (not ag tread, not turf tread, but I don't what to call them) and my fat keester in the seat. It's not the fastest snow-moving machine in the world, but when you're having fun and enjoying the great outdoors just after a beautiful clean snowfall, who wants fast!