Sign in to follow this  
T-Mo

Shifter Panel Screws

T-Mo

On my 314-8 there are 4 Phillips head screws holding the shifter panel on. I'm not fond of Phillips head screws, and thought it might be a good idea to replace those with either hex recessed cap screws or hex head bolts. My question would be, what size thread are these Phillips head screws? I could find out rather quickly, but I'm sitting here this morning at work and this occurred to me. So if I knew what size thread they were I could run down to our lab here at work and get the kind of bolts I want.

• Like 1

Sparky

They are 1/4-20 threads by about 3/4"-1" long.

Mike.......

T-Mo

Thanks - I don't think we have any coarse thread 1/4, as we mostly use fine thread 1/4-28 thread. I guess a trip to the hardware store is in order.

kpinnc

I used phillips on my 310-8, but I bought stainless ones. The old ones rusted pretty bad.

I try and use stainless bolts all the way around on a resore anyway. Makes a big difference...

T-Mo

I replaced all the Phillips head screws. Here's what the shifter panel and the dash looked like before:

100_0445_before1.jpg

100_0446_before2.jpg

Now here's what it looks like now with the hex recessed cap screws. I didn't have all stainless so, I had to use some black ones:

100_0447_after1.jpg

100_0448_after2.jpg

And finally, as I have to trailer my tractors a lot, to the church lot, to my mom's place, etc., I've always been concerned about the key vibrating out and being lost. I knew this happening to someone on a JD 111, so I usually remove the key and stick it in my pocket. So I found this little chain and attached one in to the key and the other end under one of the cap screws. Works pretty good:

100_0449_keycahain.jpg

Sparky

I really like the chain idea...might do that myself to my B-100. It seems to have a sloppy ignition and I have had the key drop thru the shift pattern hole.

Mike.......

T-Mo

Feel free to use the chain idea....I want to add this feature to all my tractors.

krazy_horse

I know this is an old topic. I read it the other day and I liked so I ran by the big box store and bought S/S screws for a 414-8, I also bought some for my c-121 which is missing some.

SousaKerry

I like to use SS button head socketed cap screws kinda looks like more like the Phillips head but have a hex hole for Allen wrenches

Tankman

Speakin' of screws, what is the length, thread, on the three [3] screws holding the dip stick base

on the Kohler 14 hp?

Seems ridiculous to use slotted screws on the engine. Very hard to reach or see.

• Like 1

TT

I can't remember if they are 10-24 or 10-32 by around 1/2" long (I can look later), but I have replaced them with socket head cap screws on a few engines.

If you're dealing with a Magnum single starter, (with the engine still on the tractor) the screws are easier to get to if you remove the drive belt guard.

Tankman

Speakin' of screws, what is the length, thread, on the three [3] screws holding the dip stick base

on the Kohler 14 hp?

Seems ridiculous to use slotted screws on the engine. Very hard to reach or see.

They are 10-24 x 1/2" long, I just replaced mine along with the gasket.

Gettin' back to the panel screws, I use 1/4-20 x 3/4" SS Phillips but, I replace the 1/4-20 extruded U-nuts at the same time. Both items are readily available at Home Cheapo or Lowes. I use Never-Seez® on all bolts as I replace them.

Same screws and extruded U-nuts on the belt guard and LH side cover.

My question, "What'll make the black knobs look new?" Mine are weathered but

serviceable, as is my Tach-A-Matic turn handle. I don't think Armorall is up to the task.