Sign in to follow this  
TT

3 more came home today...

TT

How about a 1988 WH 518H:

040108haul002.jpg

A 1973 JD model 70 w/deck: (non-JD blade & concrete weights too!)

040108haul009.jpg

040108haul010.jpg

And a JD "wanna-be" with a good 18hp Briggs twin:

(had to take it as part of the deal)

040108haul001.jpg

Plus a few spare parts, and another set of Sears wheel weights:

040108haul006.jpg

nylyon

We're gonna need some more pics of the 518-H! Nice haul today TT!!!!

T-Mo

It looks like someone already replaced the 7 hp Tecumseh in the JD 70. That looks like it might be a Briggs engine. The Tecumseh engines were the weak spot in both the JD 70 and it's predecessor, the JD 60 as most of these still going today have been repowered with Briggs engines.

I like both the JD and the 518. Good haul. :thumbs:

TT

It looks like someone already replaced the 7 hp Tecumseh in the JD 70. That looks like it might be a Briggs engine. The Tecumseh engines were the weak spot in both the JD 70 and it's predecessor, the JD 60 as most of these still going today have been repowered with Briggs engines.

I like both the JD and the 518. Good haul. :thumbs:

Believe it or not, Terry.... that's a TVM195 Tecumseh on the little JD!

I just unloaded it, hit the key, and it fired right up! :thumbs:

kpinnc

Nice haul Terry!

Kevin

Kelly

Clean looking little JD nice score on the 518, The other if it runs and mows could get you some money back, are'nt them CC weights?

Rollerman

Deffinatley a good haul for you TT!

Curious...what model hydro does the 518 have?

I like the little 70...the concrete wheel weights are something else.

TT

Stephen: The 518H has an Eaton 700, just like the 312A I used to have.

I spent a little time with the Purple Power & the garden hose, a quick switch of the rear tires (thanks, Hobie! :thumbs: ) and a little "miracle shine" from a bottle :thumbs: , and it actually looks pretty good.

518H003-1.jpg

I'll tear into the engine when I get a chance and see what the story is.

"New" pictures are in the appropriate gallery.

Kelly: Those wheel weights are supposed to be from Sears -- I have 3 pairs now and they are for the 60's / 70's garden tractors. I've seen them on many brands though.

T-Mo

Believe it or not, Terry.... that's a TVM195 Tecumseh on the little JD!

I just unloaded it, hit the key, and it fired right up!

I was thinking after I posted that there was some similarities to a Briggs, but wasn't sure then if it was. I know it wasn't the original Tecumseh engine in it, but didn't think it had been repowered with another Tecumseh. :thumbs:

Sparky

Good score Terry :thumbs: ! So is the 518 a keeper? I like the hydro but with manual lift :thumbs: YUCK.

I've gotten real used to hydraulic lift the last couple of years and I'm hooked.

Mike........

TT

My 416 has me spoiled too, so I doubt the 518 will stay -- if the engine ends up being OK.

If it's no good, I might combine the 416 & the 518 to make one tractor someday.

perry

good load on the trailer there . not to sure about the concrete hanging from the JD .

TT

Gotta have something on it to slow it down, Perry! :thumbs::D :thumbs:

CasualObserver

That 518 looks like a c-note well spent to me! Nice score TT :thumbs:

Greg B.

Nice haul, Terry. Wouldn't mid having that Pony, or the Deere. Are those Briggs twins worth dragging home? I have a project in mind.....

Greg B.

TT

Are those Briggs twins worth dragging home? I have a project in mind.....

They're worth dragging home if it means getting a Wheel Horse as part of the package. :thumbs:

They're a decent engine, but they seem to have an appetite for starters. :D

They also sound really cool with the proper exhaust. :P :thumbs:

TT

Just a little update......

The 518H went "under the wrench" this afternoon. A Redneck compression test (finger in the sparkplug hole while cranking it over) showed no compression in either cylinder!

I took the front head off first -- because it was the easiest to get to, of course -- and found one of the air cleaner base screws stuck under the intake valve. :P

Misc001.jpg

I really thought I had it made, and figured the other screw was in the rear cylinder, so I pulled the back head. (a "hammer mechanic" did some nasty repairs on this poor thing!)

I didn't find a screw, but I did get one. :D

What I found was a piston that was no longer connected to a crankshaft. :thumbs:

The PTO side main bearing is also a little smeared, and Onan's are just too expensive to rebuild -- so the 518H is now a donor unit.

Anyone need any parts ????? :thumbs:

kpinnc

Actually Terry, I may be. Pop may be getting a 416 with an Onan. I know the engine needs some love...

Kevin

kj4kicks

Too bad about the rear cylinder mess, TT. Otherwise the tractor looks pretty nice. Maybe a re-power candidate someday? Or you may find another Onan with a different issue, and make one good one?

nylyon

Sorry to hear that Terry. While reading through, seeing the first screw I thought you had an awsome deal, then came cyl. #2. Maybe that twin Briggs will fit on there?

T-Mo

Karl,

I'm not sure, but that Yard Man's twin cylinder Briggs is probably vertical shaft. :thumbs:

MaineDad

Wonder how that screw got in there TT? They must of had the head off and it fell in I would guess. What a shame :thumbs:

nylyon

Most likely fell down the carb when they were removing the air cleaner assembly. They didn't stick a rag down the carb throat or even put the choke on to stop that from happening.

T-Mo

The old screw down the carb trick. :thumbs: This happens a lot when removing those little screws from the air cleaner.

TT

Yes -- the Briggs from the Yard Man is a vertical shaft engine. :D

I highly doubt the 518 will ever live again, unless an Onan would happen to appear out of nowhere -- for free. :thumbs:

The air cleaner to carb mounting fasteners are a "cobbled-up" mess. (studs with nuts on them :P ) I guess they had to do something after the screw fell down the carburetor? :thumbs::D

The original air cleaner lid stud is even broke off and a piece of 1/4" threaded rod was installed off to one side of it - which means that the lid doesn't even fit right.

There is also a toggle switch mounted in the right side of the hoodstand for ignition power, and a large "industrial" push-button installed in the dash for the starter.

Oh well -- it sure makes a fine piece of YARD ART!