Sign in to follow this  
PetesPonies

does this tractor have a . . .

CasualObserver

Yes, that's the slot hitch. although, in the picture, it looks like it's on upside down?

It's used to raise and lower rear attachments like cultivators, old style self powered tillers, ground breaking plows and other attachments of the like.

PetesPonies

cool, I was hoping that was what it was. Was that an option or part of the 854?

T-Mo

Jason,

Good catch on the hitch being upside down. I knew it look different for some reason to me. :thumbs:

pond195520032003

definitly on upside down :P for what reason i dont know unless he was in lala land :thumbs: as for the option part, most of the 854's i have seen had the slot hitch! i just think most if not all the tractors had them, :D and the tractors that dont are the ones that the pin was not froze up yet :D:thumbs: or got lost when changing to the clevis hitch or trailer hitch :P i have seen a few that never came with the hitch/cable at all but dont know how many :P :D

PetesPonies

again, understand my ignorance . . . . so is this setup the best when using attachments or another one ?? Or does it just depend on which attachment you use??

Rollerman

Pete the slot hitch is pretty common on all Wheel Horses up to about the late 60's early 70's

You see them on most of the round hoods.

As Jason said they can be used with all the Wheel Horse implements as they were designed to fit in the slot hitch.

Brinly designed implements can be used also with a slot hitch to clevis style adapter.

The Brinly style clevis hitch is something you see more commonly on the later model like the C series & you can only use Brinly equipment with it period.

With a slot hitch you have the advantage of useing both with the above mentioned adapter.

Here's some good info/homework for you all right here on the site

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=1159

Look at the pics here & you will notice the differance in how the plows hook up.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=1098

PetesPonies

OK . . . good to know. Thanks

PetesPonies

I guess the ebay tractor has the hitch upside down because the lever arm is pointing down and should be up?? What does that arm do ??

TT

It hooks to the clevis end on the lift cable that is attached to the lift lever. That's what raises the hitch. (the weight of the attachment lowers it.)

If you look closely, you can see the end of the cable sticking out above the hitch.

PetesPonies

yep I see, thanks

WheelHorse_of_course

Neither my 854 nor my 1969 Charger had the slot hitch. They come up on ebay all the time though.

I have added one to the 854. I made the lift cable myself.

Once I get it back together the Charger will get one too (I have the hitch, but need to make the cable.

Note that on a lot of these old horses there is no drawbar. You can have the drawbar and the sleeve hitch simultaneously which is the best approach. The drawbars also come up on ebay often.

Note that while you can make a piece of metal to convert the sleeve hitch to be a drawbar, since there is no down pressure it does not work well. Since a cart is one of the most useful implements (right after the rotary mower IMHO) the drawbar is a must.

An additional note. My grandfather's 550 had no lift cable, and had no drawbar. Both the cart and allied drop spreader connected to the slot hitch. Since the had rigid metal tongues the slot hitch did not have play and therefore the worked just fine.

Hmmmmmmmmm.... a post with not emoticons........ ok, well here: :thumbs:

PetesPonies

do you have a good pic of your drawbar and sleeve hitch combo??

TT

It's not real good, but here's a picture.

hitches.jpg

Irv

I have one on my 876 for the rear bucket.

T-Mo

Irv,

:thumbs: I'm glad you came out and posted. I hope we see more posts from you and as always, :D :thumbs: