Sign in to follow this  
Butch

Ramps for tractors

Butch

3-4" is a big difference. I would have thought the Ford would have been higher but I guess the lower front of the Chevy could make the back end sit higher.

I just went and measured my truck. With the tailgate down it's 35 3/4" to the top of it. Height will make a difference when it comes to loading a tractor+deck with ramps.

Butch

S. Jersey

YNOT

Just back the horse up the ramps.

Tony

Butch

Just back the horse up the ramps.

Tony

Wouldn't backing up still have the deck hit but in a different place? Has anyone had better luck backing up instead of going front end first?

Butch

S. Jersey

wheel horse man

I have a set of aluminum rams that i bought form sears and they are curved i have no problem loading an unloading a tractor with a deck

refracman

It has been my experience that it didnt matter what tractor I was loading, be it the c160 w/42, c105 w/36, 520 w/48 or the XT w/48. Loading in either forward or reverse the deck still hungup at the top of the ramps, and forget about haveing the plow on it with either truck.

And like Nick says never ride'em up.

I would guess a set of 8' ramps would of been better, but even then it would of been a steep setup with the chevy.

I guess it really depends on what truck you have. The newer ones sit higher then the older ones. When they went to the flat cab floor design it raised the height of them.

Mabye borrow a set to see if you feel comfortable useing them before buying.

edit: link to ramps I have http://www.amazon.com/Ohio-Steel-Industrie...m/dp/B00169X9G6

truckin88

butch I have loaded a lot of tractors in the back of pickups...now I use a trailer, but still have a set of ramps for the truck for situations where I can't tag the trailer along. I use Ohio Steel 2000lbs ramps, each one is actually rated for 1200 or so, if you get a coupon online, you can get them at sears for about $125.00, go with the heavier ones they are awesome. I sold a set to Duane (Baerpath), he liked them a lot from what he told me, I missed them so much, I bought another set.

They are arches, have 2 tabs that lay on the tailgat so the ramps are flush with the gate....no hangups in my expeirence. I have used them with my old 2006 Dodge Ram and my new Nissan titan witch is even higher in the back.

Question is will that Ford be able to handle the weight of a tractor in the back, esp with the 6.4... :thumbs:

Forest Road

Everyone's going to laugh so here it goes. I use 8' wood ramps w/ the aluminum end caps. I have a set at home and a 10' set at the vacation house. They're made up of 2 x 10 w/ a 2x4 ripped in half and screwed to the backside. They don't flex! I do not ride the tractors up. I'm more fearful of the tailgate cables letting go than the ramps breaking. I've loaded my log splitter w/ these for years. Its 600+ lbs on a single set of wheels going over those ramps.

As for the deck bottoming out you might want to park at the base of a slope whenever possible. This will lessen the angle of the ramps and give you more clearance.

Good Luck

wh79d160

I have a set of the $59.99 ones from HF That I used to load the D's onto my bro. inlaws car trailer. Last time I tried to load the tractor w/tiller attached, 1 started to buckle, so then I tried to load w/the car trailer ramps, which were shorter, and the front of the tractor came up off the trailer when it got to the top. I sat there for a minute, w/the front of the tractor in the air, trying to figure out what I was going to do. Then I just lowered the tiller down & the front of the tractor came right down & I was able to load it. Then when I went to unload it, one of my tire chains got caught on the top of one of the ramps and the tractor started to turn sideways on me on the ramps. :thumbs: I was able to pull back foward & put a couple pieces of plywood over the top part of the ramps & got the tractor off. That was enough of that. I then bought me 7' x 10' utility trailer w/a fold down gate. Problem solved. Tom . Perry Ks.

tgranthamfd

Which ever way you decide, DO make sure the deck is raised up all the way and that the height is set at it's highest setting. I have a set of steel folding arched ramps that I use to get mine in and out of the shed, maybe a 2 1/2 foot drop off, and I have knocked the ramp out from under myself twice by not having the height raised all the way up. Not much of a drop, but it still scared the crap out of me both times. With the height lowered the deck hit the edge of the ramp, I was backing out, and took the left ramp right out from under me. That's weird it was the left ramp both times. :thumbs: Didn't realize that until now. :D

perry

i never ride a tractor up ramps. ive seen and herd of too many accidents happen.

thats whats nice about wheel horse with a 8spd. you can put it in low-gear and let the tractor drive its self up the ramps. that also allows you to give the tractor a little umph or a lift if the deck gets stuck. once its in the truck just reach up and turn the key off or push the clutch. i use home made wooded ramps. boxed in 2x4 construction with plywood surface. and angled and both ends.

Nick

One thing you could add to home built ramps, that I think comes with all name brand manufactured ramps, is a ratchet strap or cable tie safety strap. The strap will keep the ramp from pulling or kicking back away from the truck.

This is one of my favorite loading videos on youtube.

This came up and was good also.

mavfreak

I had an F250 and I found a set of ramps at a yard sale that were almost 9ft long with a hinge in the middle. They were alinumin so weight wasn't bad. I think the were called e z ramps. wish i didn't sell them haven't see any like since

Butch

I'm gonna look around and try to tell which of them will work the best. When I get them home I'll try putting the tractor and deck on the truck. If it works fine. If not, well the deck stays home! Lugging those decks around are a PITA!

The automatics are nice because you can stand beside them and walk them up or back them down the ramps. Not so easy with an 8 speed.

I myself would not like riding the tractor up or down the ramps. But people with quads do it all the time. That's the way they get them in and out of the truck beds.

Thanks for all the input!! :thumbs:

Butch

S. Jersey

Forest Road

One thing you could add to home built ramps, that I think comes with all name brand manufactured ramps, is a ratchet strap or cable tie safety strap. The strap will keep the ramp from pulling or kicking back away from the truck.

This is one of my favorite loading videos on youtube.

This came up and was good also.

Its often time bad enough having to explain to people that jersey isn't nearly as bad as our rap. Housewives, Jersey Shore, Sopranos, etc and then these boneheads unloading a tractor.

Thanks for posting the video.

Butch

Housewives, Jersey Shore, Sopranos?? Never watched any of them. I doubt very much that they represent the typical person or family that lives in S. Jersey. By what I've read about them or see in the news I would say they are more stereotypical of NYC and the surrounding area.

Green Acres and Petticoat Junction is how I would stereotype Buzz! :thumbs:

Butch

S. Jersey

truckin88

I'm gonna look around and try to tell which of them will work the best. When I get them home I'll try putting the tractor and deck on the truck. If it works fine. If not, well the deck stays home! Lugging those decks around are a PITA!

The automatics are nice because you can stand beside them and walk them up or back them down the ramps. Not so easy with an 8 speed.

I myself would not like riding the tractor up or down the ramps. But people with quads do it all the time. That's the way they get them in and out of the truck beds.

Thanks for all the input!! :thumbs:

Butch

S. Jersey

I have done many hydros and 8 speeds. I learned from duane, when he was at my place, 8 speeds are actually easier, put it in low range 1 and r depending which way, and you can use the clutch to slow it down even.

When I had the 175 you currently have, Stevebo just gunned it up the ramps in to the back of my Ram. It worked but was sort of hairy 7' straight aluminum ramps, he has those ramps now.

Butch

How high was the back of your Ram and was the deck on? Those are the big factors. My old 88 Chevy 1500 was a lot lower than my F-250. Plus the weight probably made the back end sag more on the Chevy. If I get a set of ramps that work that will be nice but if they don't the I'll just leave the deck behind. And I ain't gonna buy no trailer!! I've had 2 motorcycle trailers and those trailer days are behind me!!

Butch

S. Jersey

formariz

Butch

I have a Toyota with a flatbed which is 3 feet off the ground.I use the arched ramps which are about 7 feet long purchased from Home Depot. I have loaded several tractors with a deck on to it on a flat surface such as a 653, a 753 and actually ridden an Electro 12 on to the truck and out of it. The tranny on the Electro makes it safer to do so than the others since you can make it go at a crawl without fear of popping the clutch.

truckin88

Rams are pretty high, mine was a big horn with 20" wheels, my titan is high in the back and the ohio steel ramps worked perfect on both, that and the titan.

Duane (baerpath) had an F250 4x4, it was an 03 I think, he loaded a 416 I sold him with the same ramps....no deck on that though

I perfer trailers, but ramps are great when you want to make your trip more than just a tractor haul or for a few days and hit the tractor on the way back. I loaded

Butch

After much research I bought some ramps from Northern. Thanks for all the input of which there was a lot! :USA:

I'm looking to pick up another tractor for mowing the woods around our place so want a tractor just for that. My tractors are gonna have specialties! Kinda like the bull pen! :)

Anyway here is what I got. I only ordered it this morning so don't know when I'll get it.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/pro...CD-_-707-_-CONF

barns1

Butch, That's the same set of ramps I purchased a few years back. They work really well and have held up good too. The only problem I've had with them is the little red slide on feet come off easily. I took some adhesive silicone gasket maker and put some inside and slid them back on, no problem so far.

Butch

Butch, That's the same set of ramps I purchased a few years back. They work really well and have held up good too. The only problem I've had with them is the little red slide on feet come off easily. I took some adhesive silicone gasket maker and put some inside and slid them back on, no problem so far.

Gary can you leave your deck on to load and unload into your truck bed?

barns1

Butch, No problems with my A90 Special or my C series tractors. I used them with rear discharge as well as side discharge decks. I did have a 4x4 Dodge Ram that I used them with worked great. That arch makes all the difference and the foldup feature is nice too. Just make sure you use the safety straps. Gary

Butch

Thanks Gary!!