Sign in to follow this  
plowmaster

onan longevity

plowmaster

looking at a 416-h with 1200+ hrs on it, a bit worried about the hours, as the onan in my 416 only held together for around 400 hrs. the fella wants 800 for the machine that is in very good shape, looks like it has been well taken care of. alas, im fond of my bronc 14 and if i buy this machine ill be parting it out.

ill be buying this for parts and an engine for my sawmill.

so basically ill be buying it for the motor.

thanks for any help folks!

rickv1957

Even being well taken care of 1200 hours is getting up there for the Onan,Rick

VinsRJ

I agree with Rick........

plowmaster

pretty much what i was thinking. i did find a d-180 for the same price that might be a better bet for a sawmill motor, proly would be cheaper to rebuild. sawmill motors dont live in the best environment.

The Toolman

You guys must really be hard on your onans. I've went thru 3 small L-250 new holland skid steer loaders over the years that used 18 HP onans an never had any trouble with the engines. All 3 had at least 2000-2500 hrs on'em. And I was bad about changing oil an filter in'em also. Twice a year, wheter they needed it or not....haha

They was all still running good when traded in, but Hydraulics was starting to get weak in them.

Randys Outdoor Power

The Onan engine was good for its day but forget about rebuilding one as parts are hard to find and its far too expencive. Onan rebuild kit $1000 and thats parts only.

Go with a Briggs or Kohler as these are reasonable to rebuild/repair.

Lets make it easier....I will be parting out 2 Onan engines, a BF/MS and a B43M. :thumbs:

baerpath

Would a 20hp Kohler Command be enough ? I have a new shortblock and a running complete one for sale. PM me if your interested

Duane