Sign in to follow this  
rodco

C161 16hp Kohler won't start - no spark

rodco

I parked my C161 today after using it all day with no problems. I filled the gas up, greased the fittings and topped off the oil.

I went to put it back in the garage and it will not start.

It turns over fine, but just no start.

I checked the fuel pump (works fine), took off the air cleaner (cleaned it) and took out the spark plug. I connected the top wire of the plug and laid the plug down on the engine to ground it. When I crank, there is no spark between the gap.

Last week while operating the tractor, it just shut off and I am not sure how I got it restarted..moving wires around.

Is there a way to bypass the ignition to produce a spark?

The tractor is starnded out in the alley way tonight, because I could not push it in the garage without the hydraulics working.

Robert

Save Old Iron

Robert,

the quick answer is get 12 volts at the + side of the ignition coil. If the points, condenser and coil are working ok , you will have spark.

As a very temporary measure, a wire jumped directly from the + terminal of the battery to the + terminal of the ignition coil should get you out of the alley. This assumes that your coil, condenser and points are in operable condition.

Give the wiring from the coil to the ignition switch a quick check. If something is loose or corroded, clean or replace it. Also check 12v into the ignition switch for loose wiring or corrosion.

If your safety switches are still intact, we can discuss troubleshooting them in the next post.

Good luck :thumbs: :D

rodco

I think I found the culprit today. There is a wire from the Breaker points to the coil and the terminal on the breaker was loose.

She's a running