Sign in to follow this  
JUSS10

8 speed trans info for swap

JUSS10

ok so i have been doing some searching on the forum about 8 speed swaps for one of my round hoods. first off, are all 8 speeds the same (externally that is) or do some mount differently. next is will one bolt right to my frame (most likely an 854) or is there a lot of mod work required there? i know there may be some sheet metal mods due to the dip stick and hi-lo shifter. can i re use my belt cover? what about hubs? is the bolt pattern for the wheels the same 5 bolt pattern or do i need to swap hubs? sounds like there are different size axles shafts. so i guess next question is what model should i be trying to find a trans from? i figure if i ask the questions maybe someone else could use the help too

dgoyette

Did you happen to see the recent Lawn Ranger 8 speed install thread? Might be a good read for you if you haven't.

I believe they all bolt up the same - minor mods may be needed to make room for the low range shifter like you said and to hook up the brake.

JUSS10

yes i did see that. wasn't sure if the lawn ranger was an exact same frame. and i was just wondering if one 8 speed is different from another.

SAM58

I Just changed out an 6 speed from a 1972 Rader 12, to a 1977 6 speed i think it was out of a c-100.

Fit like a glove, I even like the Shifters that Came with the Tranny better than the sTock ones.

From what i see, 90% of the 3 speed, 6 speed, 8 speed Transmissions will inter change.

:thumbs: