Sign in to follow this  
perry

michigan tractor shows

whlpny

Perry- I have been up to Buckley only once. It is a huge show, but the swap meet was really disappointing. It is more on the side of commercial junk such as t-shirts and leather belts.There was hardly any old iron up there.

Now for a good time the Oakley show is the best! I'm about 45 minutes west of there. I usually go over on Saturday. Its grown so much in the last 3 years its hard to believe. Last year I couldnt even get in the gate with a pickup and one tractor it was so overcrowded. The swap area is a mix of iron and new stuff. Them boys over there like to tractor pull all day and all night- and they have the kids pulls also. Lots of food, and a beer tent if thats your preference- its right tight up to one side of the pullin track. Its kept very controlled and there is law enforcement on the grounds. It is a great time there for all.

Another excellent show is the South HAven show- awesome swap meet!

Kelly

Bob can you post some dates for these shows? I'm in MI also and would like to attend a few of them. Kelly

GlenPettit

Both the Oakley and Buckley shows are on the same weekend, August 15, 16, 17th, 2008, but less than an hour apart. Both in Northern lower Michigan, South of Traverse City & South of the Big Mac.

Two years ago the Buckley show had at least 12 Wheel Horses, mostly RJ's and Round Hoods, many of the owners did not even know the year they had, "I felt like an expert there". They only bought the Wheel Horses because they looked old, a couple owners had put 'hit and miss' engines on them (an old 1910 Maytag gasoline H&M 'Washing Machine' engine fits under the hood perfectly, and drives it beautifully). The Buckley show is mostly steam engines and pre-WW1 tractors, lots of live displays and demonstrations how how things were done in the 1800's with engines driving them, a huge flea market (2,000 booths, mostly new, China stuff), and mostly people showing off what they collect, restored or modified. It's like 500 acres or more, big, crowded, commercial and seemed like things were expensive, but well worth going to at least once. I especially enjoyed the demonstrations; foundry, sawing, printing, cheesemaking, blacksmithing, forge, carving, . . . anything that was done in the 1800's, in full working operation, all day long.

The Oakley show is much smaller, more home-townish, local and friendly, better deals and prices and much less commercial, people were very willing to talk, a few garden tractors shown. Neither of the shows had any Wheel Horses to sell.

Glen

whlpny

Glen - better check your loactions again! Buckley and Oakley are about 3 hours apart- Buckley is up by Traverse City and Oakley is just north of Owosso.

Yes the shows are the same weekend,Aug-15-17. Oakley has stolen back alot of the Buckley crowd since alot of its past unforunate issues have faded thru time.

South Haven is Sept 4-7th.