Sign in to follow this  
munsonRN

Wheel Horse 417A

munsonRN

I have a wheehorse 417A. Model # 31-17KE02.

The battery is not charging. The battery was purchased new last year. I have charged the battery on my charger and it will start/run for some mows, but after a few weeks or so it will eventually not have charge and need to be placed back on the charger.

I'm not a whiz with electrical issues. In fact, I'm actually quite dumb.

I DO have a voltage meter so I can check a few things.

Can anyone help me walk through this in a manner that someone like me can figure this out?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

pfrederi

Check Battery voltage while engine is running...should be about 14volts.

If not unplug the wire harness from the voltage regulator. Should be a flat plug with three terminals. Set your volt meter to AC and put the probes in the two outer wires (the ones that come from the engine, the center wire should head off to the dash board area) with the engine running at full throttle you should get 30 or more volts AC. if you do your regulator is likely culprit....No ac voltage or very low voltage stator inside flywheel has issues. There are more tests for the stator but usually turns out to be regulator

munsonRN

OK, well, I think there also might be a short in the ignition switch. Man, I hate electrical issues.

First off, battery when engine running is approx 12.6 volts.

I am not sure where to find the regulator. I don't see anything that is flat with 3 terminals. Per my parts list there is nothing that I can see on it that is a regulator.

Any suggestions on where to look? I can't seem to find much on the parts drawing for the starting system.

PS. Is there any sort of electrical drawing aside of the parts drawing that tells me what wire goes where?

pfrederi

The regulator is on the top of engine housing It fits in a hole in the housing and is held on with two bolts. You need to go to the Kohler engine site an download the Kohler Twin service manual. (In the K series area). The SM goes through all the regulator diagnostics.... or email me pfrederi1 at hotmail dot com I can send it to you

A faulty ignition switch could be the fault also.

bmuone

Chris I am no mechanic so I can't help you there. I think pfrederi's got you covered there. But I have a 417a that had a owners manual with it. I have tried to put it on the computer but no luck. So if you want a copy of the wiring chart sent me a mailing address and I'll send it to you. Also, be aware that the wiring colors could be completely different on yours.

Dayton bmuone@yahoo.com

bmuone

oooops make that a Operators Manual and not a owners manual. I don't know if there is a difference but there might be. Anyway it has a one page wiring chart for the 417.

Dayton

pfrederi

I am not sure if Wheel Horse hired a bunch of color blind people or just used whatever wire they had on the shelf but the wires in my 418-A didn't match the wiring diagram.

munsonRN

Thanks for sending me that wiring diagram Dayton. TONS of help.

Well, here is the update and I will try to get some pics up tomorrow. I replaced the ignition because one of the times when I was starting it I jiggled the wires behind the ignition and it all seemed better...

So, after removal....you could see a lot of corrosion on the power terminal and what appeared to be a partially melted harness. Replaced both and all "seems" better. I don't want to say that too loud :thumbs:

Anywho, thanks to all that helped. Of course, I'll have more questions later of course.