Sign in to follow this  
JUSS10

pretty good haul today

JUSS10

well took a trip to indiana today. mom and dad wanted to run to shipshewana for the flea market so i thought i would take a day off and tag along. having planned on that for a week before i scoured the area for horses on craigslist and found one that would be on the way home. been talking to the guy back and forth and seemed like a solid tractor. Also bought a bottom plow off ebay last week that i picked up while i was down there.

tractor appears to be a 603. came with a "custom" snow/dozer blade. best part is it has a fresh engine and trans in it. PO used to be a big wheel horse fan back before toro was in the picture and used to rebuild the transmissions and engines all the time. this tranny has a new second gear and all the bearings and seals replaced. motor was a fully overhauled K181 with less than 50 hours on it. said he never used it anymore so he let it go for cheap. also has a beefed up mower deck on it.

not sure on the plow. no clue what model or make it is (any input would be great) it was cut upfront and a chunk of steel was welded on to make it work with a wheel horse hitch. needs some work but for $20 i think it has potential.

here are a few pics. any info on the plow would be great! thanks

DSC_0558.jpg

DSC_0559.jpg

DSC_0560.jpg

DSC_0561.jpg

DSC_0562.jpg

wheelly

looks like a good haul !!

Kelly

Yup it's a 603 with a few different parts on it, like steering wheel, engine you know, added fenders, and the ags are on backwards, but I've heard they don't tear up lawns that way.

Looks to be in pretty good shape

JUSS10

yeah the ags are going to get swapped. the motor is a really tight fit.... was the hood shorter on these? i checked the frame location against my 704 and that all looks the same but the air cleaner on this one hits the grill bars to the point that they are bowed out. and yes, the AGs are getting swapped right away.

did these have covers for the brake/clutch linkage under the seat? if so how does it mount?

LumpyB

Nice horse you scored there good deal.

Roger from southern Iowa

Nice find!!! :thumbs:

rickv1957

Nice find there!,Rick

Kelly

No covers, and for the air cleaner to fit right you will need a 7hp air cleaner they are thinner.

145Automatic

Very nice looking round hood. I hope to start working on mine when this 95 degee weather breaks. :thumbs:

Horse'n Around

Thats a sweet score! Congratulations!

John

Suburban 550

Nice one. :D Good Luck with it. :thumbs:

JUSS10

well after cleaning everything out i was able to get it to fire, though it wont stay running. i think it might be a fuel issue? i know the pump seemed to be bad so i pulled the pump off my 854. that at least got fuel to the carb. it will run great for a few seconds then slowly die. i might try and pull the carb from my running 854 and see if it will run off that. then i know its a carb issue. i cleaned the carb out but there was a custom gasket inside that i didn't like much i think it might be altering the float level... anyway, seems to be a solid engine so I'm pretty excited to get this thing going.

also, correct me if i'm wrong, but the way you measure a bottom plow is by its width of cut correct? so if i measure from one side to the other under the plow and get around 10 inches, that makes this a 10" plow?

CasualObserver

the way you measure a bottom plow is by its width of cut correct? so if i measure from one side to the other under the plow and get around 10 inches, that makes this a 10" plow?

If you're describing this, then yes.

To find the size, measure across the bottom from the landside to the part of the share that is farthest from the landside.

Imagine you are standing behind the plow, looking down.

c855b2dd.jpg

52cd5daa.jpg

JUSS10

hey! that list pic is my plow. where is that from? any more info on it? thanks for telling me how to measure the plow. i believe that is what i did. Thanks! :thumbs:

whfan74

Hey what are you doing coming down in to my neck of the woods and poaching Horses? :thumbs:

Congratulations on the new addition......looks like you have a nice tractor!

JUSS10

as far as i knew, my license extended to the surrounding states. :thumbs: haha sometimes you got to travel to find the good ones

whfan74

Ha ha..........I have poached my fair share from the great Wolverine state. Problem is mom and dad don't live up there any more so it makes it tougher to go get the desirables.

Congrats again on the new purchase! :thumbs: