Sign in to follow this  
TT

The Black Tractor

TT

Progress has been slow-going the last two days. All the little stuff has accumulated into one big pain in the.... well, you know. :thumbs:

Everything has been worked out for the axle/steering transplant - including the fabrication of a new tie rod - and etching primer now covers all of the parts.

I also put a new ignition coil in the Kohler, and am pleased to report a strong blue spark from the mag now. :thumbs:

I took some time tonight to clean up the shop and put some tools away (and I also painted the anvil black again! :D ), but I did get a few pictures while I was out there earlier.

RatRod032608007.jpg

RatRod032608012.jpg

RatRod032608003.jpg

RatRod032608005.jpg

Sparky

Why does the rear look so narrow? Are the rims flipped or maybe a differant offset. Or maybe it just looks that way with the sheetmetal off.

Mike...........

TT

That pair of rims was bought "sight-unseen" from another WH collector. They were supposed to be 8.5" wide WH rims, but they weren't. The offset is about 2" less than a "normal" Wheel Horse rim, and the valve stem is on the opposite side. They were originally silver, but I have no clue what they're off of. (They're actually only 7" wide.)

I mounted the pair of GT-1848 10.50 turfs on them just so I had a spare set of tires for occasions like this. I kind of like the "tubbed & narrowed" look, but the "wrong side" valve stems have to go! :thumbs:

T-Mo

Love the "OD" color. I'm assuming the top coat will be black. Looking good, very good. :thumbs:

TT

Not much to report, other than I've been tire shopping. :thumbs::thumbs:

I did manage to drill & tap the exhaust port on the Kohler to accept a 1" pipe today. :D

(It originally had a bolt-on muffler with only the two 5/16" holes in the block.)

Stigian

The black beasty's coming on fast TT, your have it finished by this time next week :thumbs::thumbs: :D

kpinnc

It's sure coming along nicely Terry. Can't wait to see it all finished up!

Kevin

combatmp29r

Its looking great Terry :thumbs: can't wait to get up there and see it in person. :thumbs:

Greg B.

Terry,

That thing looks meaner'n a junk yard dog. :thumbs:

Greg B.

TT

Nothing major to report, other than an engine in about 100 pieces:

dragtractor040908007.jpg

And the NOS recoil housing I scored a few days ago:

dragtractor040908016.jpg

Rollerman

TT you are going to polish that for the Black Tractor right?

nylyon

There needs to be another name for the Black Tractor...... Wicked Evil?

TT

TT you are going to polish that for the Black Tractor right?

Yeah....

That was sort of the plan -- but..... if I don't start making some progress soon, it'll be lucky if it even gets assembled & installed. :thumbs:

Kelly

You using the NOS recoil on it? Were's the cool tire's :thumbs: ? You just freshning the engine up? or doing a complete rebuild?

TT
There needs to be another name for the Black Tractor......

TT

You using the NOS recoil on it? Were's the cool tire's :thumbs: ? You just freshning the engine up? or doing a complete rebuild?

I actually bought a complete newer style stamped steel recoil starter "kit" from the same guy and will probably end up using it instead - because it's smaller in diameter. (more room for my foot :D )

I haven't really done too much else because I need to get a decent engine together first. (the K161 in the other pictures was a moderate blue smoker)

You can't really do much to the small block engines, and there are no aftermarket performance parts available. (I'll just clean things up good and grind the valves.)

New rings and oil seals are on the way, as is a one piece camshaft -- courtesy of Tickster. (Thanks again, Stephen! :thumbs: )

wh500special

There needs to be another name for the Black Tractor...... Wicked Evil?

You know, Harry Ferguson named his first prototype tractors back in the thirties "The Black Tractor"...

He did OK too making tractors first with David Brown in the UK and then with Ford in the US and later with Massey in Canada.

Not a bad name!

Steve

TT

For those of you who might be wondering.... :thumbs:

Nothing new to report on this project -- with the exception of a camshaft coming from TX - which should be here today or tomorrow.

I have to get the engine reassembled before I can do any more to the tractor. (It's a personal issue. :P )

I have also located a recoil start / magneto ignition K181 parts engine at a semi-local shop, and found two 408 Gravely parts tractors with K181's about 20 miles from home. I knew that they would start turning up shortly after I found a cam. :thumbs:

Current activities have been prepping the 416H for grass cutting duties and mowing once - so far, and getting things organized on the parts pile for Joel's upcoming visit. :D

I have also been successful at getting the 702 to run correctly - which, among other small issues, was a partially clogged strainer on the sediment bowl. (it would run well for about 4 to 5 minutes, and gradually starve for fuel and shut off.)

TT

A sign of progress ? :thumbs:

I bought another K181 Friday and used the cam, crank, and rod for in my already "prepped" block. :thumbs:

I had a fight with a carburetor that had stripped bowl bolt threads, so I borrowed a #22 Carter N off another 8hp Kohler. If this engine works like I think it should, there's a #26 Carter on the bench that will probably need installed. :D

Here's what I have completed up to this point:

042008004.jpg

042008015.jpg

kj4kicks

I like shiny stuff !!

Lookin' good TT !

combatmp29r

Looks good Terry :thumbs: So the polish the recoil is out eh? :thumbs: :D

TT

Nope, no polished recoil for this one. :P

And in today's news....

I'm the proud "creator" of a :D running K181! Initial tests have revealed that a 22mm carburetor might be big enough, but I need to stop by the airport for some better quality fuel. :thumbs:

Time to get back to the tractor build now. (finally!) :thumbs:

TT

OK.... here it is:

WheelHorse1.jpg

Just kidding! :WRS:

Did any of you guys happen to see this on EBAY?

It can be yours for a Buy It Now price of only $1500! :whistle:

nylyon

Wow TT, I wasn't expecting it to turn out like that, nice shocks.... :whistle:

TT

How about a little "teaser video". (Notice the strategic placement of the camera. :P:D )

Thanks Mrs. R. ! :thumbs:

th_JDarm005.jpg