Sign in to follow this  
TT

The Black Tractor

nylyon

Nice, how fast do you suppose you're going?

Kelly

Way to cool :WRS: , I can't wait to get mine to that point :whistle:

TT

I'm guessing around 15 to 17 mph, Karl. :WRS: I don't have the RPM's turned up yet, and I'm still having some fuel delivery problems. :whistle:

Much faster and I'll have to trade the old front axle for something with some more caster. :D

kj4kicks

If that thing's not hitting the wheeley bars, it's reeeeeeeally close !

It's got a big bag of scoot !

:whistle: :WRS:

Stigian

Good to see the Black beasty on the move TT :whistle:

Top work Sir :WRS: :D

Sparky

Hmm, I musta missed this video post a couple days ago but I've seen it now :WRS: . Totaly cool man!

Are you wiiling to divulge the two pulley sizes you used? Or is it a TT secret :whistle: .

Mike...............

TT

Been a lot of :whistle: and fabrication going on for a while now, Ian. Mix that in with all the "regular" daily activities, rainy weather, running out of shielding gas on the welder, and trying to fix broken John Deeres :D , and it takes a lot longer than what it should to accomplish things. It has actually been moving under its own power for about three weeks now, but it's been through several major changes in that time too. It was originally assembled with a 3 speed transmission that ended up having minor internal problems, but it served the purpose of getting it on 4 wheels.

Because of the setback of the engine on the frame and two 4" pullies, I had to haul it to the local parts store to get a special length drive belt to fit. (Toro didn't list one for this particular model. :D ) After 3 days of going too slow, I decided to change to a smaller rear pulley - which also meant the new $23.00 belt didn't fit anymore. :WRS:

Then when I went to TSC to buy a smaller rear pulley, but they didn't have any for a 3/4" shaft. I ended up buying a 2.5" pulley for a 5/8" shaft and I changed the 3 speed transmission to an 8 speed from a C-101 parts tractor. That required cutting the notch for the second shifter and changing the brake linkage again.

So there's your answer too, Mike..... 4" engine pulley and 2.5" transmission pulley. :D I can't go any bigger on the engine pulley because of the drive belt guard - which I am not going to modify again. :D

It still has a long way to go until it's presentable, but I still have another 5 weeks to get it done for the show, right? :dunno: :D

perry

ITS ALIVE! :D:dunno:

sounds pretty sweet and scoots right along there dont it ? :WRS:

:whistle::D:D :D

TT

It's working much better now that I did a Brian Miller modification to the main jet needle. It was stumbling real bad off idle and most of the time it just stalled! :whistle:

His "trick" is to enlarge the fuel siphon hole on the bottom of the needle and seal the intermediate orifices with solder (or heat-shrink tubing - which is what I used) so the amount of fuel to the idle circuit passage is increased. This increased fuel causes a little black smoke at idle, but it vitually eliminates the stumble from idle to full throttle. (almost like having an accelerator pump!)

The "bad part" about Brian's site is that it's for the big block Kohlers. Since the needle on the 8hp carburetor is much smaller, I had to do a little experimenting with what size drill to use to enlarge the hole.

I will definitely back him on this modification though.... IT REALLY WORKS ! :WRS:

TT

THE END.

DT062308007.jpg