Sign in to follow this  
PetesPonies

anything available like this . . .

CasualObserver

How about like this? This is a PTO-66 kit. It's not quite as convenient or pretty of a setup that the Cub Cadets have, but then again, the Cub Cadet trannys were the EXACT same trannys that were in the full size Farmall Cubs with just shorter driveshafts and axles. There's also what they called the "Farm PTO" that mounted to the front... I'll see if I can find a picture.

I think this one is Bill's, maybe he'll comment later. BP?

pto-66.jpg

pto-66-1.jpg

CasualObserver

Here's a picture of the "Allied Attachments" one made by Fairbury

Farmpto-1.jpg

PetesPonies

thanks, I didn't know that about the Cub's transmissions.

CasualObserver

Greg has the other kind pictured in this thread in the Implements - Accessories Gallery

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=1238

perry

IH being in the farm tractor business, i allways wonder why the cubs never had a standard lift hitch on the rear. :thumbs:

i know they offered one, but all you see on them is the little hitch for a yard trailer. what a joke. atleast WH & simplicity had decent standard hitches.

oh, and you never see the PTO or a HI-LO on the cubs.

i think im selling my cub this year.

PetesPonies

are you talking about the hi-lo trans? There is a Cub Cadet 102 near me for sale with the 8 speed trans. Real decent shape too, its tempting.

WheelHorse_of_course

uhhhh... :thumbs:

call me dumb, but both those WH PTOs in this thread look like they come out the side of the tractor.

What good is that. I have never seen a farm tractor with a PTO out the side, only the back or (more rarely) the front.

Wassup wi dat? :thumbs:

Kelly

The side PTO would be used to run like a grain elevator something that is stationary (spelling)

Curmudgeon

Kelly is right. I don't think you'll be in the field running too many balers or combines with 8 horsepower. LOL

CasualObserver

Pete, the 102 you mention with an eight speed means that it has what they call a "creeper gear" There is an underdrive (or gear reduction) unit that has been added to the transmission to gain a hi/lo. It's pretty common. It involved dropping the tranny, bolting this to the front of it, and cutting a few inches off the driveshaft.

Rod(NASNUT)

I know this is :thumbs: but do any of you have the hi/lo unit for a Cub my brother inlaw is looking for one?

pond195520032003

You could try ebay, :thumbs: but be pre-paired to pay as they usually bring alot! :D as for the PTO on the cubs, they are mainly just a conversion piece as they turn counter clock wise and you need a reverser(really hard to find) :P and you still cant do much as they dont turn fast enough!!! :thumbs:

xPosTech

Isn't 515 RPM pretty close to standard? I think 540 RPM is pretty much universal for garden type tractors. Bigger machines have a two speed 540 & 1000 RPM PTO.

Ted

T-Mo

Ted,

Long time no post - it's good to hear from you. I bet it's grass mowing season in Texas already.

I'm far from being an expert, but I think that 540 rpm is pretty much standard. I can't expertly comment on what performance that gives as I've never used one, so I have to leave that to these guys who knows these things. I do know that JD uses the 540 pto's on their bigger garden tractors to run implements, but I'm not sure what the performance is.

Again, it's good to see you back. :thumbs:

xPosTech

Hi Terry

I've been kinda down in the hoof. But yeah it's that time again. Over the winter I tossed around selling the Toro ZTR. After cutting here and the other place though, it's just too fast to let go. The Scag kept at the lake is faster still, but it's too big for the home 20.

Brush hogs use a gear up transmission to keep the blade tip speed reasonable. Or maybe not. A four or five foot disk with twelve inch slingers might not need to gear up the input. Those things aren't made for our machines, though. Finish mowers? Tillers use a selectable gear (I think?) for tine rotation speed. All are designed for 540 RPM input.

Those PTO s on the side might be used for a vacuum bagger or maybe a sickle bar. The under mower shaft driven from the mule drive is the one I'd consider, but then you would have ground clearance issues.

I still have the WH 17-44 HXL. The PO ran the Briggs 31P low on oil so it sounds like one of those automatic beer can shredders. I'm hoping it's the oil pump but who knows? I may drop in a 20HP V-Twin with 230 hours. I might have to split the hood horizontally (ala Gilson) and add side scoops to the upper half. Or just swap hoods. But the other one is green plastic! Ugh! :thumbs:

Heck I didn't mean to hijack this thread. Sorry, Pete. Guess I need to start my own. :thumbs:

Ted

T-Mo

Good info, Ted. On the ztr thing, that's the current thing now. And I know you can mow faster with them, but I still like the looks of the tractor type mower. But I wouldn't mind trading my JD X320 lawn tractor in for a ztr. :thumbs:

linen beige

I have never seen a farm tractor with a PTO out the side, only the back or (more rarely) the front.

Wassup wi dat? :whistle:

Most of the larger farm tractors up into at least the '60s had side ptos. They were for running trashers, corn shellers, elevators, etc. My grandfather's Farmall logged a lot of hours running a sawmill, and one of my uncles still uses it.

DMESS

8-3211 Farm PTO

pto1.jpg

pto2.jpg