Sign in to follow this  
norman

Pulley removal on deck

norman

I need to replace the bearing on my 265 Toro/WHeelhorse and I cant remove the pulley... I tried with a puller which seemed like the best idea and it is bending the pulley...

Any ideas... (before the torches come out) I seriously think the bearing are seized on the shaft....

If all else fails I may just replace the whole housing assembly...

THanks in advance

Attached Image

post-3-1276603112.gif

Lane Ranger

I had a great experience with removing a center pulley in a 36 inch rear discharge deck with three mower blades.

I beat on the top of the shaft on the bearing. It was an old one needing replacement but I always slip in a 3/8 x 16 bolt in the top of the shaft to use as a starting point for hammering downward. I place a 2x4 piece of wood on top and hammer away.

However this center pulley would not come off. I ran some PB Blaster in it and I beat on it again - this time with a small sledge hammer still no movement!

I threw some PB Blaster and machine oil in the top slot on the pulley and I turn over the mower deck and put some on the other side of the bearing housing and I went to eat lunch.

It was about 90 degrees in Greencastle, Indiana on Saturday the 12th so I was also looking to cool down in side for awhile.

The funny thing is I come out and grab the sledge and 2X4 to do some more pounding on the bearing spindle top to get the center pulley off and - to my surprise- no pulley. It had fallen off the bearing spindle to the floor on its own with the use of the PB Blaster and machine oil!

I could not believe it but it happened!

I would recommend using PB Blaster! Let it soak in there and that shaft spindle will come loose.

:D

racinfool40

Same here use pb blaster and let it soak in and with a couple taps of the hammer mine usually come right off :D

norman

PATIENCE