Sign in to follow this  
perry

shifter removal

perry

whats the trick to get the shifter out of a suburban/400 trans ?.

Kelly

Wrap a chain round it hook it to a chainfalls and pull, I don't know Perry I've never had one.

pond195520032003

Perry, in front of the shifter is a 1/8th allen set screw with a 7/16 lock nut! loosen the nut and then use the allen wrench to remove or at least unscrew enough to to get the shifter out! it may be smaller, but this is what all my tractors with shifters have :thumbs: hope this helps :thumbs:

perry

Perry, in front of the shifter is a 1/8th allen set screw with a 7/16 lock nut! loosen the nut and then use the allen wrench to remove or at least unscrew enough to to get the shifter out! it may be smaller, but this is what all my tractors with shifters have :thumbs: hope this helps :D

i did remove the set screw. the shifter just wont come out. the ball on the shifter just does'nt look like it is going to come threw the hole :thumbs: . bout ready to get the sledge out.

BPjunk

Perry,

It is not too hard as all you have to do is loosen the set screw jam nut as the base of the transmission then unscrew the set screw all the way out. At this point the shiter should just come straight up and out, now if it is still stuck pour some light weight oil in the base and move the shifter around. Some times rust builds up on top of the shifter ball making it hard to remove.

Bill in Richmond, Va.

pond195520032003

did all of the set screw come out :D like bill just said they do get build up and are a pain some time, but pour some oil on it and keep working it around! it will eventually come out :D once it does come out :thumbs: clean the shifter ball and opening real good with a buffing wheel ir brush on a drill! :P keep us posted :thumbs:

Kelly

Like I said Perry wrap a chain.........

rocking 416

hey perry is it an 8 speed? when i went thru myn it had a roll pin in the bushing that son the shiter an it had alot of slop that was the whole problem i know the trans has to be in nuetral too in order to remove? hope you got it out by now!