Sign in to follow this  
runrider

New Here - C-120

runrider

I bought a C-120 today!

896899704_Fuq22-O.jpg

Seems to be in ok shape... a little rusty, but starts right up every time. All the sheet metal is solid - no holes. :D

Runs strong, just mowed an acre with it. Paid $500 for the mower w/ deck and a plow attachment... both need sanding and painting.

One question. The seller seemed to think the mower had positive traction - but upon mowing my hill, it became quite evident that it either doesnt have it, or it doesnt work, because it acted just like an open diff. Does anybody know which models have limited slip differentials?

I'll probably get some ag tires. Is there any way to help keep it from tipping?? I had a couple close calls on my hill today...

Thanks folks!

rmaynard

:D

You've got a great tractor there. No posi-trac in that model. Just a very strong 8 pinion differential. I'm not sure what model had limited-slip, but I'm sure others will chime in and let you know.

Don't mow across the face of hills. Always mow up and down! That's the only way that I know to prevent roll over. Rather you be safe than sorry. With that big Kohler engine on there, the center of gravity is pretty high. and depending on your size, that could accentuate the problem even more.

Bob

KeithB

Nice C-120, GREt model of WH :D

rickv1957

Hello and :D ,Rick

runrider

You've got a great tractor there. No posi-trac in that model. Just a very strong 8 pinion differential. I'm not sure what model had limited-slip, but I'm sure others will chime in and let you know.

Don't mow across the face of hills. Always mow up and down! That's the only way that I know to prevent roll over. Rather you be safe than sorry. With that big Kohler engine on there, the center of gravity is pretty high. and depending on your size, that could accentuate the problem even more.

Bob

A little disappointing about no posi, since I tend to slip a lot on my property, but I'm overall happy with it. Is a posi diff something I could easily swap into it? I'm not really a collector, so I dont care if its not original. I will probably restore it cosmetically this winter.

About only going up & down on the hill - not really an option.. the whole property is on the side of a hill. not much flat area. So, when I turn, it either has to be on the neighbors property, or on the hill. I've seen WH's with dually tires in the back - that would widen my stance quite a bit. Is that something I can add without breaking the bank?

runrider

how do I tell what year it was made?

Wheel Horse Fan

You may want to consider better tires, lug or AG tires may help. Although if the AGs spin they will chew up the grass. Wheel weights will probably help with traction and lower the center of gravity. Be safe mowing your lawn.

rmaynard

how do I tell what year it was made?

What is the number on the tag? Should be something like 71-12K801 or 61-xxxxxx etc.

Can give you more info from that. Tag should be right above the height adjustment device on the left side.

Bob

Save Old Iron

Depending on how steep those banks are, you may have to think about the lack of lubrication in the splash - based lube Kohler engines. This tractor does not have pressure lubrication and continued mowing on a steep incline could compromise the life of the engine.

I am curious about this aspect of the K series engine as I too have slopes on my property. But I use a "different tractors" that have pressure lubrication to mow the lawns.

The K series I have only work on the driveway to blow snow and in the garden to till and plow. Both of these areas are relatively flat.

runrider

Depending on how steep those banks are, you may have to think about the lack of lubrication in the splash - based lube Kohler engines. This tractor does not have pressure lubrication and continued mowing on a steep incline could compromise the life of the engine.

I am curious about this aspect of the K series engine as I too have slopes on my property. But I use a "different tractors" that have pressure lubrication to mow the lawns.

The K series I have only work on the driveway to blow snow and in the garden to till and plow. Both of these areas are relatively flat.

I was actually wondering about this today. I dont understand the engine enough to know at what point does this become a problem... and if it would be worst going uphill/downhill/crosshill. I guess I'll have to do some serious studying of the Kohler.

boovuc

Hi RunRider! :D

I have a C-175 that I mowed a steep side-hill with for the better part of 6 years before selling the place. The twin KT-17S engine was very well known for wearing out prematurely due to insufficient lubrication when used on inclines. After a few years away from that field and only mowing flat bottom ground, I needed to rebuild the top-end of that engine. It has been over twenty years since that work and it still runs strong with the exception of some carb trouble due in large part to our alcohol laced gasoline. I only mow flat ground now. Without a pressurized oil system, mowing a side-hill will kill even the best splash-lube engines. Your C-120 is a great tractor. A real good representation of all that is great about that era of horse we love here but side-hills are best suited to the pressurized Kohlers and Onans over the long haul.

PS....I too would slip when mowing my hill so I went with wheel weights on all four rims and a great set of Carlisle ags. I never slipped again regardless of moisture on the grass. Just be very careful. That C-120 is very heavy!

It could hurt you but could easily be in your living room too! :USA:

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

Ken B

If you can't find weights you might want to fill the tires, which I actually prefer. It puts the weight right on the bottom of your tire. You can probably get five gallons or so of windshield washer fluid in each tire.

runrider

Hi RunRider! :D

I have a C-175 that I mowed a steep side-hill with for the better part of 6 years before selling the place. The twin KT-17S engine was very well known for wearing out prematurely due to insufficient lubrication when used on inclines. After a few years away from that field and only mowing flat bottom ground, I needed to rebuild the top-end of that engine. It has been over twenty years since that work and it still runs strong with the exception of some carb trouble due in large part to our alcohol laced gasoline. I only mow flat ground now. Without a pressurized oil system, mowing a side-hill will kill even the best splash-lube engines. Your C-120 is a great tractor. A real good representation of all that is great about that era of horse we love here but side-hills are best suited to the pressurized Kohlers and Onans over the long haul.

PS....I too would slip when mowing my hill so I went with wheel weights on all four rims and a great set of Carlisle ags. I never slipped again regardless of moisture on the grass. Just be very careful. That C-120 is very heavy!

It could hurt you but could easily be in your living room too! :USA:

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

If I can adapt my pattern so that I only go straight up and downhill, will that keep the engine lubed properly? Can anybody help me understand exactly what is going on with my oil when the engine is tilted?

And how do I get fluid in my tires?

gregg.d250

The risk is the rod bearing and cam will not be 'dipped and splashed' if the flange at the bottom of the connecting rod is doing nothing but passing through crankcase air and not whipping up oil against the camshaft. You could lose the hydrodynamic wedge of lubricating oil between the rod/crank surface which will first manifest itself as a knock, then eventually, aluminium transfer to the crank throw journal, and at worst, a broken rod

I have heard folks running the oil at a higher level to get the KT-17 Series 1 engines (5 psi of 'spray lubrication from the cam was supposed to keep the rod bearing surface lubed.... yeah right!) and having good results. I've never run the oil much higher than the full mark on my K-Series single cylinder engines, but I suppose the worst that can happen would be overwhelming the oil control ring, and getting some oil into the combustion chamber.... Not the worst thing- people use MMO for a similar benefit. You'd have to keep an eye on the cleanliness of your cylinder top end and might sacrifice some plug life, but might be worth it.

While this works anecdotally, I'd be willing to run a 1/3 or so quart more just for insurance if I was mowing across a hill. Be interesting to know if there's something in the design spec for the K-Series singles which specifies maximum operating tilt angles - fore and aft, and side to side (relative to the crank).

And let's face it...... running across a hill is infinitely easier on the operator and perhaps the machine than going up and down, but that's its own debate in itself, and brings in many factors such as speed, ruts in the lawn, height and weight of operator, and obstacle avoidance. Usually good practice to avoid, but sometimes manageable.

Weights (maybe mow one direction only across your slope and load only the uphill wheel) and filling the tires are good ideas for stability. So are smooth applications of throttle and clutch feathering while operating on your slope.

Given the success people have had with running more oil in the crankcase of the KT-17SI I would think it's worth a try. This is my humble opinion, and YMMV!!

jpmcleod

Can't go wrong with a C-120. Good machines. Simple to work on.

boovuc

Hey RunRider!

Didn't mean to scare you too much on side-hill mowing. As I posted earlier, my KT, (Twin), kohler was well known for failing after repeated inclined mowing. The single K Kohlers are a much more durable engine. Much better!

Readers Digest version:

Your motor will last longer if you mow flat ground verses a hill side. It's just a fact of life on non-pressurized small engines.

You have an excellant machine in that C-120.

Guys! How about a synthetic oil instead of standard for his side hill use?

I know someone, maybe Royal Purple, makes a 30w in full synthetic! :D

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

runrider

Hey RunRider!

Didn't mean to scare you too much on side-hill mowing. As I posted earlier, my KT, (Twin), kohler was well known for failing after repeated inclined mowing. The single K Kohlers are a much more durable engine. Much better!

Readers Digest version:

Your motor will last longer if you mow flat ground verses a hill side. It's just a fact of life on non-pressurized small engines.

You have an excellant machine in that C-120.

Guys! How about a synthetic oil instead of standard for his side hill use?

I know someone, maybe Royal Purple, makes a 30w in full synthetic! :D

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

Thanks for the clarification - you had me very worried. I looked up the manual (I think its the right one - I guess I have a k301?), and it said I can operate on slopes up to 30 degrees without worrying about lube problems. 30 is pretty darn steep - about like an average roof. Looks like I'm in the clear!

PPGman

I can't speak for any other of the wheel horses mentioned here, but i can speak for the C-120. We have been mowing side hills with ours for 20+ yrs now and not a single problem with the 12hp k301 kohler. No lubrication problems whatsoever. I just rebuilt the engine on our 1974 this spring (we have 2). After 36years, and at least 20 dealing with our sidehills, all i did to freshen the motor up was a piston, rings, and valve job. The bore, rod, and bearings showed little, if any signs of wear.

One of the qualities that i love about the c-120 is their ability to turn into a goat for mowing side hills....the eight speed comes in really handy for this. Out of all the small tractors i have been on, i'll take a c-120 more places than any of them. Don't know if its just because i've been using it since 8yrs old, or if its just that much better.....maybe a little of both!

One thing is for sure.....lubrication on the side hills doesn't seem to be a problem for the k301....not with ours at least.

Great choice in machine....you got a real work horse there! :D

barns1

Same here. Been using my C100 and my 10 on hills for years with no problems. I always keep the oil changed and use quality oil. And :thumbs:

rickv1957

I have a few with the kohler 40+ years old that havent been rebuilt yet! :thumbs: Rick

PPGman

That engine has certainly earned my respect over the years. Its simple, and it works!