Sign in to follow this  
dgjks6

312-8 trans rebuild

dgjks6

I am in the process of rebuilding the transmission on a 312-8. One of the axle bearings froze. the axle stopped, and the axle cracked.

DSCF4869.jpg

I am planning to replace the axle, the bearings, and all of the seals.

Oh, and when I split the case all of the gears popped out.

Total estimated cost is about for the seals, bearings, and axe is about $200.

I am willing to do this for the experience, but then I looked at the cost of all of the needle bearings. :D

How do I know if I need to replace these?

Duff

......but then I looked at the cost of all of the needle bearings. :D

How do I know if I need to replace these?

Are you pricing your bearings through Toro or have you looked at pricing them by their Torrington/Chicago Rawhide numbers through a bearings house such as Motion Industries? When I rebuilt the tranny in my #2 312-8 I got OEM bearings through Motion Industries and saved a lot of money..... The only bearings not available aftermarket (as far as I know) are the big ones the axles ride on where they come out of the tranny case. I think a lot of us would love to find an aftermarket source for these.

One of our members has prepared an excellent bearing cross-reference chart - I'll see if I can find it.

As to how to tell if the bearings need replacement, I'd like someone with a little more experience to chime in here. I checked mine by putting the shaft specific to each bearing in place and turning it by hand. If it turned with no sign whatsoever of slop or dragging, or feeling rough or crunchy, I reused the bearing. :USA:

Duff :D

EDIT: Oh, duh! The thread with the bearing cross reference chart is pinned at the top of this topic. :wh: The chart is in a PDF about 2/3 of the way down the thread. Note the correction a few posts later to the Torrington B107 though.