Sign in to follow this  
DenisM

876 Brakes

DenisM

I recently bought a '66 Model 876. Runs good; however it doesn't stop well. I have an exploded parts view and I can't find any friction brake. Anybody know how the brakes work on this tractor?

linen beige

It doesn't have "brakes". :D

At least not in the conventional sense. It uses the hydro transmission's fluid pressure to bring the axles to a stop. Bringing the direction control lever to center stops the tractor.

This can be done by hand, or by pushing down on the left foot pedal (providing everything is adjusted correctly.).

rickv1957

When you tractor is running with your foot on the brake,does tractor set still or creep forward or backward,Rick

DenisM

If I'm on flat ground and my foot is on the brake the tractor won't move. If I'm moving on flat ground and hit the brake the tractor slows down and finally stops. If I'm on a hill and hit the brakes the tractor will not stop. It will roll to the bottom of the hill before it stops. Since I have some hills on my property this is not a good situation.

I can get the same effect by simply moving the control lever to neutral position. It seems this is all the brake petal does is move the lever back to neutral.

rickv1957

Sounds then like your trans is bypassing fluid some where internal,from ware or a broken bypass spring,how does trans pull uphill when warm,Rick

clintonnut

Rick,

Do you think you can 'elaborate' on the spring thingy? My 876 is a little sluggish also it just doesn't have the go of a normal hydro. An Eaton can pop a wheelie but this thing takes like 4 seconds to get up to speed. The drive belt is not slipping.

Charlie

rickv1957

Charlie,I have seen a broken relief spring cause this type of problem,a long shot,but possible,the old sunstrands are strong when in good shape,Rick

clintonnut

Which yahoo group is the sundstrand manual in. I unregistered them when I joined MWH but now I wish I didn't

Charlie

rickv1957

Dont know but Ive had a manual for many years, :D:USA: Rick

clintonnut

Thanks,

Looking it over now.

I want to put HY-6 on mine and know of a bad pump off a 16 auto to get the valves etc.

I am going to put this thing to work on Tuesday with a dozer blade so it will be interesting.

Charlie

Sarge

Make sure you grab both sets of valves to do the HY-6 swap or it won't work right. One thing to check on the hydro is the tow valve , should be located on the rear face of the hydrogear inside the toolbox - 1/2" wrench needed. There is a chance the relief spring could be broke or just worn from age - it should be available from Toro . I know I replaced one of mine already and some of the o-rings/shims for one of the 1277's. Those shims set hydro pressure to implements on the Sundstrands so be careful, easy to blow hoses if the pump is in good shape. One thing for certain-use genuine filters on those trans pumps, anything else will kill them.

Sarge

clintonnut

Do you find these springs and o rings when you remove the tow valve?

Charlie