Sign in to follow this  
dgjks6

Let the restoration begin

dgjks6

I'd make a parts tractor outta this one. Your gonna have so much $ in it.....woo hoo.....dang sure don't let your wife see how much your spending if you do decide to rebuild it.

Buy another good running one, an use this one for parts, sell what ya don't need...

NEVER

just kidding - the thought is crossing my mind

but here is the update.

Got the differential out, opened it, and pounded the axle out. The axle was actually twisted.

The rest of the transmission is filled with sludge and shrapnel.

Oh - and the guide book is blurry

This is going to take a long time.

dgjks6

oh - and whats an easy out?

dgjks6

OK - time for help from someone out there.

Just checked Jacks Small engines. They have 2 different axles listed for the transmission.

Prices are $124 or $174.

Anyone got an extra axle for sale?

CasualObserver

An easy out is the common name for a broken screw extractor.

Available at pretty much anywhere you can buy tools.

KC9KAS

You will need to drill a small hole in the CENTER of the broken piece that is still in the transmission before using the easy-out.

They make LEFT HANDED drill bits. Use one of these (drill must turn counter clockwise) to drill the dog. If the bit catches the dog, and it isnt too tight, it will spin right out....if not, you needed the pilot hole for the easy out anyway!

The left hand bits ARE NOT a joke. Some people will laugh at you for asking, but I have used them may times, and they have helped me with broken bolts, and made me $$ on bets! (that they really do exist)

dgjks6

Got carried away yesterday with all of the posts. I will try to limit myself to one a day.

So here is the update:

Got the axle out. Turns out the bearing on that side of the tractor is frozen and the other spins, but is a little rough. There aer a lot of little pieces of the axle missing. I wonder where they went?

DSCF4869.jpg

Also found these on the garage floor. I assume they are parts of the trans also.

DSCF4870.jpg

So I am spending the day looking for an axle. And going to try to get to Home depot to get the easy out to ge the screw removed.

I am starting to consider getting a parts tractor, but it always breaks my heart to see something parted out instead of restored.

Also considering just getting a new transmission, but that would not be as much fun. Though at $125 for a new axle price is starting to come into play.

Also learning a lot about engine trans combinations. For example the C's had 8 pinion 1/8inch axle trans and the 312's were smaller. Also wheel horse made some tractors with kohler engines and manual transmissions that were not the "unidrives". They also made some tractors that had briggs motors with the unidrive transmissions. The learning is half of the fun.

Greg

bmuone

Greg, this is a great tread. But sometimes I can not figure out if it's your story or mine. If ever there was a "stuff happens" adventure, this has got to be it. Keeper going man..

tgranthamfd

Looks like part of the needle bearing, must have came apart during the mess you spoke of.

stevebo

Having rebuilt a few trannys I would vote to find a donor tractor or find another tranny. When you start buying all the seals, bearing and bigger items you need it will cost much more. Good luck-

dgjks6

Day #7

Made some progess - sort of

used axle, dog screw, and c clip - courtesy of a friend here $55

broken bolt removal set from sears $20

got the screw out - no problem

Also checked most of the bearings and the seem fine - except the ball bearings

So the plan is still to rebuild

Did get a tip on a guy with 3 wheel horses for sale - one for parts so I went to look at them. He had a c-160 that he was keeping, a c-120 for parts - that had a hydrostatic trans and a blown motor - but a great 42inch deck. So I bought the deck off him. And what I think is a 73 14hp that ran great and had a 48 inch deck for sale. Thought about it, but one project at a time.

So here are the questions for the day:

1-what do you use to clean the inside? I don't want to ruin any of the bearings.

2-how do you remove the ball bearings?

I am at work for a few days so I probably will not get back to it until Tuesday.

Greg

Oh and price update

Tractor and parts $235

Tools $50

Save Old Iron

Go . D, Go !!

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-70-1276372811.jpg

rickv1957

Greg,your doing a great job,keep it up!! :D Rick

dgjks6

Day #9

Axle fell through. Wasn't long enough.

So back to looking for an axle.

I have tomorrow afternoon off so I am going to break - I mean disassemble - the rest of the transmission.

The Toolman

Get ahold of BowTieGuy on here, he has a whole barn full of wh's an parts.

RicV1957 on here might have one also.

Both of these guys are right here at Lake of The Ozarks an can send it to ya pronto

gardentractorpullingfool

look up wheelhorse on you tube there is a gentleman screen name wheelhorseman c85 he has lots of parts for us wheelhorse lovers!!

dgjks6

Day #10

Search for the axle is not going well. Only offeres left are for new axle b/n $174 and $210. I know this is for fun and is not cost effective to rebuild one of these things, but this is too steep.

Other thoughts

going to try to find the c85 guy

Saw a parts tractor down the street with a hyro and a blown motor. How hard is it to go from 8 speed to hydro?

dgjks6

Looks like part of the needle bearing, must have came apart during the mess you spoke of.

Yep - found the source

They are the needle bearings from the one on the axle.

Got a bunch more now.

individual needle bearings for sale now

DSCF4870.jpg

$16.00 each

shipping on each one will be $8.95 due to size an weight.

PM me if interested :D

The Toolman

Just buy a good used tranny an don't waste a bunch of money on that one

dgjks6

Day #12

Have not given up yet. Been working a ton.

Also, I have learned an important lesson - patience.

I now have a lead on a cheap transmission and an engine.

But the engine is for a Green tractor - I am going to post it in the engine section and ask about it there.

dgjks6

Day #17

Still no luck looking for an axle. Been busy - working a lot and trying to figure out what to do with my mother with alzheimers.

Got a line on a buch of transmissions, but I have this thing where I hate to waste things - like buying a parts transmission just for an axle and scrapping the rest of it or getting another transmission and scrapping this one. It just feels like a waste.

So I am waiting for the big show this week - Going to bring the 6 kids out, camp out, and hope to score the parts I need.

Hope to see some of you there.

tgranthamfd

Good luck bet ya find everything you need there plus more.

dgjks6

Day #22

Finally scored a transmission. It does not work but it has 2 good one inch axles and a good dog screw thing.

Cost - $50, plus $26 for delivery - I could not get out to get it so the guy brought it to me.

I am not able to work on it until Tues, than I will add more updates.

dgjks6

Day #24

Well, bought a power washer - not sure if I should include this in tools. Was in my wife's truck and saw 2 lowes gift certificates and told her I know what these can buy. And she said no way. I then asked her where they were from and she siad they were hers and I would lose them. I turned them over and the said "Happy Birthday Greg". They were gifts cards for me for my birthday in December from the people she has coffee with every morning. So I took them and bought a power washer.

So then I started to work on the transmission I picked up.

Step 1 - take picture of other transmission so you guys can see the progress.

DSCF4988.jpg

Step 2 - experience learned from last transmission disassembly - drain the oil. Learn that on this trans someone hit the oil drain plug with something and it is deformed so I can not get an allen wrench in it.

DSCF4987.jpg

Step 3 - no problem - turn trans over and drin oil the old way

DSCF4985.jpg

Step 4 - put on hub puller to remove hub - no problems - took 10 minutes

DSCF4986.jpg

Step 5 - look at axle with feeling of victory - knowing this was the part I had struggled for the last 20 plus days to get and now I had a good one in my hands. Then upon closer inspection find the key way is damaged.

DSCF4992.jpg

There were 2 large 5/8 bolts holding the hub on - not the OEM ones - so I assume that someone has been here before - and now I know this for sure.

Step 6 - do not lose faith because I have another axle on the other side. Then I see the same type of bolts holding the hub on and I start to get worried. But I forge ahead on put the hub puller on. I have now remove 3 hubs without difficulty and feel very confident in my abililty to get the fourth. Start hitting the hub puller with the mallet and it is stuck. So I hit harder and this happens.

DSCF4994.jpg

DSCF4993.jpg

Learn not to get cocky and make sure I screw the bolts in on the puller as far as possible.

Keep trying for and hour with my son to get the hub to budge and no joy. Arm gets tired, so I spray it with PB blaster and put it away for the night.

Moral of the story - nothing ever goes right for me.

Will try again tomorrow.